Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:27 pm

I like to use therapy to talk about people who seem to be there for me one minute and then turn it off on me the next for one reason or another.

I.E- I had a respite provider who I had really grown attached and I thought that she was supposed to be understanding and know better. Then when I did something that she did not approve of, her actions proved otherwise.

Then I had a roommate situation that had done me some damage back in my early 20's.

1. I was very immature and naive
2. I did not have the basic independent skills
3. My roommates were older and more experienced
4. I did not tell them that I was on the spectrum

One of my roommates had a lot of problems of her own anyway such as anger and she was just ugly about my situation.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:36 pm

I have gained much from psychotherapy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm

No money for therapy. You guys are my therapy and you do help.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QuidditchChick
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2014, 9:06 am

A good therapist is very helpful. Mine is the one who encouraged me to finally pursue diagnosis. I will miss him terribly when we lease here.

Xayah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2014, 9:27 am

Therapy has helped me intensely, there's plenty of good interpersonal therapy to be had out there. I'd always had trouble with communicating my needs but through therapy, suddenly people in my life have started understanding what I want! It's a good feeling

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 10:53 am

I have been doing for a few months and while on the surface I could say it's a waste of time and money, I am reminded of a line from the TV show Futurama. To paraphrase:
"When you do something well, people aren't sure you have done anything at all."
For example, during our last session, she told me that she will not make a life plan for me as that's up to me. I snapped back stating that I am paying for her to do that and only realized days later what she truly meant by that statement. On the surface it appears not to be working but it's possible I am just blind to how far I have come in such a relatively short period of time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm

Just started CBT for Autistic anxiety. Have had only one session so far so I can’t give you any feedback yet. It is my first psychological therapy in 5 decades. While I have mixed feelings about behavioral therapies I am trying it for several reasons. Adult services are so rare I feel I have to put in the effort to check it out. It is very inexpensive because the person giving it has not completed her doctorate. It is a group of 4. Small groups are way better for me then large groups. Even if the CBT does not do much for me the socializing with a small group might

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 11:27 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
For example, during our last session, she told me that she will not make a life plan for me as that's up to me. I snapped back stating that I am paying for her to do that and only realized days later what she truly meant by that statement.

I must be dense. What did she truly mean by the statement?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 7:54 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
I must be dense. What did she truly mean by the statement?

She meant that I am an adult and while she is happy to provide assistance and guidance she will NOT make life decisions for me. In this context, about landing a long term partner. I actually just had a girl ask me out for the first time in my life, had a coworker ask me to lunch and am close to asking out a second girl who made her interest crystal clear so something is obviously working! This would have been unimaginable before therapy.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 8:16 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
She meant that I am an adult and while she is happy to provide assistance and guidance she will NOT make life decisions for me.

Got it. I have the challenges making decisions as well. Probably something to do with Exec Functioning.

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
In this context, about landing a long term partner. I actually just had a girl ask me out for the first time in my life, had a coworker ask me to lunch and am close to asking out a second girl who made her interest crystal clear so something is obviously working! This would have been unimaginable before therapy.

Congratulations. That's wonderful.