Self-advocacy, or enlist professional assistance?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm

Hello,

What is 'Plan B' (a fall-back so to speak) when 'self advocacy' is not a viable option?

Why are self-advocacy proponents e.g., 'Autism Self Advocacy Network' ASAN ?strangely quiet? when it comes to the obvious concerns of those times when self advocacy is impractical?

Awareness of specific professional services experienced with Aspergers, such as Accountants (some professional services people have Aspergers) would "hit the nail on the head" in response to situations when self advocacy is impractical.

Yet, it?s needlessly difficult, and time-consuming to locate such professional services e.g., why are online listings that grade professional service providers who are friendly to Aspergers clientele lacking?

In short, valuable opportunities exist to boost collaboration amongst self-advocacy proponents, professional services experienced with Aspergers, and of course adults with Aspergers.

In short, to resolve that pervasive concern; what to do when self-advocacy is not a viable option!

Thank-you

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2014, 12:22 pm

My state government has a division for "services for people with disabilities." I bet yours does too. Search the Internet for "services for people with disabilities" in your state. They usually have their own directories of professional services which are offered to people with disabilities.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
My state government has a division for "services for people with disabilities." I bet yours does too. Search the Internet for "services for people with disabilities" in your state. They usually have their own directories of professional services which are offered to people with disabilities.

Hello Mr. Nelson,

Thank-you for your response.

State Government agencies (from here in CA, and most other states): A.) Focus their resources on people with disabilities more limiting than Aspergers (AS). B.) Private professional services experienced with (AS) are unlikely to receive state government clientele under contracts.

I'm in proximity to the SF-Bay Area, home to many technology people with (AS). Participation in the TECH. industry allows opportunities for adults with (AS) to become accustomed to largely Neuro-typical (NT) environments; and hence seeking professional assistance becomes similar to how (NTs) seek assistance.

Many concerns of the (AS) population are quite similar to the concerns of (NTs) e.g, financial, housing concerns; hence the need to support online listing services that grade professional service providers who are friendly to both (AS) and (NT) clientele alike!

Let's "break the ice so to speak" and start a trend of commenting on those awesome professional service people that proven friendly with, and experienced with (AS) clientele.Yes, private services are costly; yet worth the investment. Some private services offer affordable sliding scale options.

The concerns of many adults with (AS) are cynicism and doubt; sentiments that are clearly reflected here on Wrong Planet. Such sentiments become a "self-fulfilling prophecy" -- that is too many adults concerned with (AS) become discouraged, to a point where it becomes a challenge to contribute helpful, positive content to Wrong-Planet.

Contributing helpful content is the very the first step "in breaking the ice" - in short, to "boost spirits" (for lack of a better term); and encourage that collective focus on such efforts as supporting professional services friendly to (AS) clientele.

In short, listing recommendations of such professional service providers here on WrongPlanet would offer the very concrete, and tangible resources that naturally "boost spirits", and actual (AS) progress i.e., a positive self-fulfilling prophecy increasingly reflected on WrongPlanet!

Thank-you

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2014, 2:55 pm

Good self-advocacy is knowing how, when, and where to ask for assistance. Yet this is only a part of the formula. You must understand and articulate what your needs and goals are. The sooner I began to understand myself and my own needs, the more effective the assistance that I sought out was.