Page 37 of 38 [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 3:05 am

martianprincess wrote:
What is your first name? Krystal

Current perseverations: Writing, re-painting old furniture (NOT mid-century modern beauties though, I leave those alone like everyone should!), collecting vintage dresses, vintage figurines, toy rayguns, toy robots, and anything else I find interesting, reading (mostly non-fiction, right now I'm on a medical kick), thrifting, taking classes, video games, planning trips, I'm basically just all over the place.

When did you discover AS? Late teens/early 20s.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? ADHD.

Do you have a degree? Yes, I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree.

Kids? Yep!

Favorite music, other than NIN: I'm super into music but I'd say my all time favorites are The Cramps, Depeche Mode, Garbage, Neko Case, Gorillaz, The Handsome Family, Fiona Apple, The Distillers and anything else Brody Dalle does, etc.

Job? Yeah, I work full time in the healthcare field.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? I'm married, I was also in a serious, long-term relationship before this one for five years. I had other relationships and casual things that lasted for less than a year before that.

Plans for the future? Oh jeez, so many. I'd love to be a column writer like those folks at Vox.com, or become a physician. Maybe have a business or something. Who knows if any of it will come to fruition.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I have an identical twin, that's pretty cool.

May I ask, does your TWIN have ASD like you? I'm fascinated by the degree to which ASD may or may not be genetic.

If you are willing to answer, I would also like to know if you and your twin have sensory challenges and if you have identical sensory issues.

A warm welcome to WP. :D :D :D

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:51 am

slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:

Current perseverations: Writing, re-painting old furniture (NOT mid-century modern beauties though, I leave those alone like everyone should!), collecting vintage dresses, vintage figurines, toy rayguns, toy robots, and anything else I find interesting, reading (mostly non-fiction, right now I'm on a medical kick), thrifting, taking classes, video games, planning trips, I'm basically just all over the place.

Kids? Yep!

Favorite music, other than NIN: I'm super into music but I'd say my all time favorites are The Cramps, Depeche Mode, Garbage, Neko Case, Gorillaz, The Handsome Family, Fiona Apple, The Distillers and anything else Brody Dalle does, etc.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? I'm married, I was also in a serious, long-term relationship before this one for five years. I had other relationships and casual things that lasted for less than a year before that.

Plans for the future? Oh jeez, so many. I'd love to be a column writer like those folks at Vox.com, or become a physician. Maybe have a business or something. Who knows if any of it will come to fruition.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I have an identical twin, that's pretty cool.

May I ask, does your TWIN have ASD like you? I'm fascinated by the degree to which ASD may or may not be genetic.

If you are willing to answer, I would also like to know if you and your twin have sensory challenges and if you have identical sensory issues.

Hi! Thanks! Nice to meet ya!

My twin has not been evaluated but I’ve been encouraging her to. The odd thing is I have ADHD but my twin does not. The genetics of monozygotic twins is pretty fascinating. Although (in theory) we share the same DNA, we have minor genetic differences between each other that change over time due to environmental factors (especially as we get older). For example, my twin has always been taller than I am by two inches and she was larger at birth.

I think she's most likely on the spectrum but she seems less affected than I do. She always had an easier time with school and had friends. She doesn't have nearly as many sensory issues as I do either. When we were babies I was the more "difficult" one. The interesting thing is that both of our sons have autism as well, and there have been other males in the family who showed autistic traits. So far I'm the only female that's been diagnosed. ADHD also runs in my family on the maternal side. My dad was adopted though so I'm not sure about his side.

My maternal side of the family includes psychiatric disorders too, and I've read some studies about how ADHD, autism, and bipolar could be genetically linked but it's all very not well understood. There are some genes that are linked with ASD but mostly it's still unclear.

If you have more questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer!

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:28 pm

martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:

Kids? Yep!

Hi! Thanks! Nice to meet ya!

My twin has not been evaluated but I’ve been encouraging her to. The odd thing is I have ADHD but my twin does not. The genetics of monozygotic twins is pretty fascinating. Although (in theory) we share the same DNA, we have minor genetic differences between each other that change over time due to environmental factors (especially as we get older). For example, my twin has always been taller than I am by two inches and she was larger at birth.

I think she's most likely on the spectrum but she seems less affected than I do. She always had an easier time with school and had friends. She doesn't have nearly as many sensory issues as I do either. When we were babies I was the more "difficult" one. The interesting thing is that both of our sons have autism as well, and there have been other males in the family who showed autistic traits. So far I'm the only female that's been diagnosed. ADHD also runs in my family on the maternal side. My dad was adopted though so I'm not sure about his side.

My maternal side of the family includes psychiatric disorders too, and I've read some studies about how ADHD, autism, and bipolar could be genetically linked but it's all very not well understood. There are some genes that are linked with ASD but mostly it's still unclear.

If you have more questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer!

TY for your thorough answer!

It would be interesting to see how your twin would score on the https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

I know they are not a 'full' evaluation but they would give some indication, esp. the ASQ(Adult).

I've known a set of ident. twins for 30 yrs, and it is fascinating to see the epi-genetic changes pile up. Their rate of aging is different, personality, bone density, etc, etc... I can easily tell their voices apart...lol...even on the phone...I need one word only :mrgreen:

One is married and the single twin lives with them... :D It is all utterly fascinating!

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

slave wrote:

It would be interesting to see how your twin would score on the https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

I know they are not a 'full' evaluation but they would give some indication, esp. the ASQ(Adult).

I've known a set of ident. twins for 30 yrs, and it is fascinating to see the epi-genetic changes pile up. Their rate of aging is different, personality, bone density, etc, etc... I can easily tell their voices apart...lol...even on the phone...I need one word only :mrgreen:

One is married and the single twin lives with them... :D It is all utterly fascinating!

That's so interesting! My twin and I speak exactly the same way, it's super weird. Not even our own parents can tell us apart on the phone. I wish my twin didn't live so far away from me. We've been living in different states for the past 11 years. We chat everyday through text but I wish we lived closer. Although we are different in a lot of ways and have different interests, we're still pretty close.

I sent her that assessment, I will report back with her results when she does it! I think I was given this assessment too, I'll have to look up my score.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:42 pm

martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

That's so interesting! My twin and I speak exactly the same way, it's super weird. Not even our own parents can tell us apart on the phone. I wish my twin didn't live so far away from me. We've been living in different states for the past 11 years. We chat everyday through text but I wish we lived closer. Although we are different in a lot of ways and have different interests, we're still pretty close.

I sent her that assessment, I will report back with her results when she does it! I think I was given this assessment too, I'll have to look up my score.

I look forward to hearing your report! :D :D

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 10:16 pm

slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

My twin and I only have a difference of 3 points. I had a 41 and she had 38. Hmm!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 12:36 am

martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

My twin and I only have a difference of 3 points. I had a 41 and she had 38. Hmm!

Were you and your twin surprised at how high her score is?

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:54 am

slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

Yes, we were! Interestingly she's a nurse so she has to his really social job that requires on-the-fly decision-making at times. She loves her job but I know some of the workplace social drama between the other nurses frustrates her. I wonder if I thought her score would be lower because she's just really good at adapting and I am not in tune with her inner brain workings.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:48 pm

martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

Yes, we were! Interestingly she's a nurse so she has to his really social job that requires on-the-fly decision-making at times. She loves her job but I know some of the workplace social drama between the other nurses frustrates her. I wonder if I thought her score would be lower because she's just really good at adapting and I am not in tune with her inner brain workings.

I'd imagine an acute care environment would also be very intense from a sensory overload perspective.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:32 pm

slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

I'd imagine an acute care environment would also be very intense from a sensory overload perspective.

Yes, for sure. I have no clue how she does it, I don't think I'd be able to stand it.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2019, 2:35 pm

martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
slave wrote:

Yes, for sure. I have no clue how she does it, I don't think I'd be able to stand it.

understandable :D

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2019, 8:03 pm

I love answering questions.. so let's begin :geek:

What is your first name?

Current perseverations:
I don't understand "preservations", doesn't make any sense to me according to that content

When did you discover AS?
10 years ago

Do you have other psych diagnoses?
Social phobia, other stuff is undiagnosed

Do you have a degree?
Yeah, Salesperson. The worst degree a person with AS could ever have.

Kids?
Oh no.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol:
Slipknot, heavy metal, metalcore, nu metal, actually all sorts of metal, hard rock, punk rock, drum'n'bass, darkpsy, forest psy, liquid dubstep

Relationship with significant other, past or present?
Had several relationships in the past, all of them ended badly. Can't build friendships with "female humans".

Plans for the future?
A LOT. One of my plans are travel and conquer the world.

Anything else you feel is pertinent:
SO MUCH, I can't even put that in words..

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

Perseverations are things with which you are obsessed e.g. my current perseverations are pagodas and Tomas Ledin.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
Perseverations are things with which you are obsessed e.g. my current perseverations are pagodas and Tomas Ledin.

Oh thanks!

So I complete: my preservations are...
- Slipknot
- Nutrition, orthomolecular medicine (+human body and sports)
- Psychoactive Substances (+Neuroscience)
- Psychology

cirrusgwood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

When did you discover AS? July 2018

Do you have other psych diagnoses? No

Do you have a degree? B.Sc

Kids? No

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: Mozart, various other classical, Beck, Sigur Ros, various other rock

Job? Software Engineer

Relationship with significant other, past or present? No. Last long-term relationship was in college. Never wanted kids so that ruled out most of the dating pool; add to that the un-diagnosed (until last year) AS and it's been a non-starter.

Plans for the future? Still have this crazy hope.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: Dealing with chronic blood cancer. Doing very well, feeling well, but it's not something I can get rid of, so it's not likely I'll be making it to retirement age. Actually, I'd rather not grow old alone. If I have to be at this weird, painful and glorious party called life I'd like to leave a bit early and go home.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2019, 5:44 am

Now that I'm officially a Dino, here I go:

What is your first name? Tim

Current perseverations: Animated comedies, traveling, geography, geology, programming, architecture, history

When did you discover AS? Diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 1988 at age 9, and with AS in 1996 at age 16.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Depression

Do you have a degree? Yes, BS in Geography/Urban Planning

Kids? No, and I've given up.

Favorite music, other than NIN : Classical, current pop, old R&B, 80s, early 90s, jazz (both smooth and otherwise), some electronica.

Job? Looking for work in GIS, Urban Planning or Data Analysis.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Two relationships in the past, currently single.

Plans for the future? I'll get back to you.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: No

Now proficient in ChatGPT!