Page 14 of 38 [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 38  Next

Zola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2009, 11:47 pm

I should introduce myself here, too, since I've turned into a dinosaur. ;)

What is your first name? Jonet, but almost everybody calls me Zola

Current perseverations: Learning Zend Framework, and do-it-yourself type jobs (we're going to be building a pole barn so I'm reading everything I can get my hands on)

When did you discover AS? At age 42

Do you have other psych diagnoses? just dysthymia

Do you have a degree? Associates

Kids? Three and a stepdaughter

Favorite music, other than NIN Been listening to Three Days Grace and Fallout Boy a lot lately

Job? Computer programmer, freelancer

Relationship with significant other, past or present? happily single

Plans for the future? get our barn built so we can use it as an apartment--we have an old modular and it's falling apart.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: i love to read

No_Exit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2009, 1:06 am

I hope this is the right place for a person new to this forum to make their introduction. :? :?:

I am newly diagnosed as AS. I spent the first four weeks in a state of shock/depression. Now I am moving on to the next step, which I think will be learning more about others out there in the world that have wiring similar to mine. It's nice to know that you are out there!

What is your first name? Can I go by a nickname for now? "Doc"

Current perseverations: behavioral finance, sports car and kart racing, martial arts, writing, reading

When did you discover AS? My son was diagnosed about three years ago, mine was very recent

Do you have other psych diagnoses? ADD, social anxiety

Do you have a degree? Three. BS, MS, PHD

Kids? 4 (2 biological/2 step)

Favorite music, other than NIN: Pretty varied, from Led Zepplin to Motown, U2 to Godsmack

Job? Entrepreneur in the area of behavioral finance and sometimes academic

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married for 18 years and just now beginning to understand why we don't have a clue what the other is saying.

Plans for the future? That's a tough one. They are numerous, often fleeting, and I'm not really sure what they are until the future arrives.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I want to write about my experience with AS. Writing is therapeutic for me and, if I am lucky, my writing may also benefit others both on and off the spectrum. Since many of you have probably had very similar experiences, I'd appreciate your feedback as I start to publish my writings. I'm have started with a blog, which is listed in my profile I believe. (Since this is my first post, it appears that I can't include the link here just yet.)

grizeldatee

12 Jun 2009, 10:12 am

What is your first name? griz for here

Current perseverations: Wild plants and herbs, getting a farm, organic/local food

When did you discover AS? about 9 years ago, admitted it about 3-4 years ago

Do you have other psych diagnoses? no

Do you have a degree? BS, MS

Kids? 3 -- Aspie, HFA, Autie

Favorite music, other than NIN Laughing -- eclectic tastes, depends on mood

Job? 3 kids

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married for 18 years, still happily

Plans for the future? square foot gardening, chickens and goats, maybe a pond and a pony

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I enjoy reading, playing music and singing, hiking, needle crafts (not too small), and cooking

Zulaxia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Jun 2009, 7:56 pm

What is your first name? Paul

Current perseverations: Moving house, home schooling kids, dyeing yarn

When did you discover AS? Two days ago! (Son diagnosed with autism 3 years ago, but never looked at myself till then!)

Do you have other psych diagnoses? No

Do you have a degree? Yes, Computer Science with Cybernetics, about to start Accounting

Kids? 4 - Autistic, ADHD, 2x NT

Favorite music, other than NIN : Prodigy, Nirvana, Guns and Roses, lots of rock from the 60s and 70s

Job? Pretending to do web development, actually dyeing yarn and generally being arty

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married for 2 years

Plans for the future? Stay married. Stop having to fight the world for every f***ing thing we need/want

Anything else you feel is pertinent: Glad to find this place so soon!

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2009, 6:37 am

What is your first name? Seashell

Current perseverations: AS, motoracing, languages

When did you discover AS? 6 years ago, aged 23

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Social anxiety, before being diagnosed with AS

Do you have a degree? Yes, Language Studies (French, Spanish, Portuguese)

Kids? No

Favorite music, other than NIN: Leona Lewis, Coldplay, Duffy

Job? Cleaner

Relationship with significant other, past or present? No

Plans for the future? Travel the world

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2009, 12:22 pm

What is your first name? Not on da intarwebs! Hows about TG then?

Current perseverations: web technology, cats, and now...AS!

When did you discover AS? suspected I had something like it for years, just found out I have it

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Nope, but suspect I might actually have NLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) its so close to AS though, there isn't a lot of difference.

Do you have a degree? MS Computer Science

Kids? No

Favorite music, other than NIN: 70s & 80s rock, alternative, hard rock, celtic, darkwave

Job? Web developer

Relationship with significant other, past or present? married, my husband is equal parts NT and AS

Plans for the future? work on our fixer-upper house, do volunteer rescue work with cats, get a better job

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I cycle thru many special interests, though computer science and cats are constants. I have vision and motor impairments in addition to AS, makes life oh so interesting. In spite of my degree I suck at math, I'm more the creative sort of computer geek. I love to read, especially sci-fi and fantasy.

reader55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 8:32 pm

What is your first name? Angela

Current perseverations:movies, reading, hanging out, music

When did you discover AS? 10 months ago when I was diagnosed

Do you have other psych diagnoses? OCD and ADD

Do you have a degree? If eighth grade counts...

Kids? I have an older brother, older sister, and younger brother, but I'm looking to go to college before I think about that

Favorite music: They Might Be Giants, Rocky Horror Punk Show

Job? Student at Ridgeview High School

Relationship with significant other, past or present? I've had several relationships in the past (yeah, kids start early these days...), but the two I find stand out most are my current boyfriend Josh (who for the record, I'm not really all that into. Yeah I know that it's been seven and a half months and at this point it's probably considered leading on, but he's so nice I just can't do that to him without a legitimate reason, like another guy.), and my ex Modi. We were together for a year, he was my first boyfriend but not my first kiss, he wasn't the only guy I was dating for a while. He was considered the slut of the school but that was part of why I loved him. He was amazing and spontaneous and an AMAZING kisser. He asked me to marry him a couple times, but I reminded him that we were thirteen. Besides the asking me to marry him was only so that I would agree to screw him because I'm planning on being anonymous. He lied and cheated on me, but I can never thank him enough for teaching me how to kiss and how to be a good girlfriend.

Plans for the future? College (hopefully at UF) after I get through International Baccalaureate program in high school. My main dream is to be a housewife and mother.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I have problems being without a boyfriend, so I have to deal with horrible guys until I can find someone better. Also, I HATE most NT teenagers. One more thing, I'm a proud card carrying member of the Rocky Horror fan club. I'd let Frank top me anyday :heart:

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 7:10 pm

Name? Roland

Perseverations: Movies, Reading, Music, Computer Games, Walking, Cats.

Discovered AS: Learned about it when I was about 23, Diagnosed at 28.

Other Diagnoses: Depression, Social Anxiety, Possible PTSD but not DX'ed.

Education: Certificate in Business Computers '96, Certificate Office Admin '06.

Family: An Older Brother, no children of my own.

Favorite Music: Tangerine Dream, Ladyhawke, The Feelers, Salmonella Dub, Pearl Jam, and more.

Job? None at the moment.

Relationships? None. I want one.

Future Plans? Highest Priority is surviving the current winter and finding a better flat! Also considering finding a job or volunteering to help something.

Other: I have a life long fascination with World War 2 (Both Grandfathers served as soldiers in different Allied armies), with the History and the Aircraft.

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2009, 3:46 am

Current perseverations: Painting, writing, crafting, podcasts, books books books, and gaming.

When did you discover AS? Couple years ago when my brother was diagnosed.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Possible bipolar or dissociative disorder (psychologist presently seeing can not make up her mind and insists only children have AS. Anyone know a good one in Utah by chance?).

Do you have a degree? Not yet, but working on it.

Kids? 1 (not sure if he's on the spectrum or not)

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: Anything by the Dresden Dolls, the Hush Sound, Jonathan Coulton and Vivaldi

Job? several

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Yes, had our 5 year anniversary back in February, but I think my quirks are starting to get to him.

Plans for the future? Long term : Travel and start my own school (all of the arts are being cut from the public schools here as well as many other extra curriculars, so I want to start an after school school that has just those). Short term : get a better apartment, I HATE the slumlord we're dealing with at the moment.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2009, 11:21 am

What is your first name? John

Location: wandering the American Southwest in my travel trailer

Current perseverations: hiking, exploring wilderness areas

When did you discover AS? for sure, about four years ago, but suspected it before that

Do you have other psych diagnoses? no

Do you have a degree? yes

Kids? no

Favorite music, other than NIN: sorry, what's NIN? favorites are classical and jazz

Job? retired

Relationship with significant other, past or present? divorced

Plans for the future? just continue breathing for a while longer

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 9:21 pm

What is your first name? Francis or Frank

Current perseverations: cycling. I think I want to try geocaching.

When did you discover AS? AS in 1998, but I've been diagnosed with one thing or another since early childhod.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? I've been diagnosed with various things as general anxiety disorder, OCD and ADD when I was a child. When the diagnosis for AS came in 1998 I don't know if those other diagnosis's went away or if it is in addition too?

Do you have a degree? MS in electrical engineering

Kids? 2. Son and Daughter. (Daughter is seriously NT. My wife thinks my son may be AS, but I don't think he fits all the criteria. The Doctor agrees with me.

Favorite music, other than NIN: none really. Boring old man talk radio.

Job? Engineer

Relationship with significant other, past or present? married

Plans for the future? One day at a time.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 10:07 pm

Of couse you may leave any question blank Smile

What is your first name? fearing the jokes people will make, it's Forrest

Location: a little river landing burg of population 8700, more or less

Current perseverations: current what?
Oh,

Quote:
Noun

Singular
perseveration

Plural
perseverations

perseveration (plural perseverations)

1. (psychology) Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.
2. (psychology) The tendency to continue or repeat an act or activity after the cessation of the original stimulus.

Okay, yeah, there are those, but right now can't name them - will have to ask those around me.

When did you discover AS? When Psychiatrist diagnosed it last month

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Yes, a couple.

Do you have a degree? No, made three attempts

Kids? grown Stepchildren and Grandchildren

Favorite music, other than NIN Laughing Hawaiian, Big Band, Smooth Jazz

Job? 100% disability have worked retail and telecommunications. worked for F.W. Woolworth for a while

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married. Was just over 40 when got married. Had been friends with the gal for previous 9 years. Been a couple exceedingly rough years recently, we are working it through, emphasis on WE.

Plans for the future? Those have become very difficult to have right now. :(

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I fit the classic stereotype of being a railway buff.
Then again, so does my NT wife! :lol: Love animals, boats, books, kites. Older style buildings. Grape soda. Chips and salsa. chocolate. pizza. barbecue chicken. palm trees.

We're all looking at the Aspie information and constantly saying - "that sure explains . . ."

Lottie-Tinker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2009, 6:57 am

What is your first name? Let's just say "Lottie-Tinker"

Location: About 30 miles away from a really large academic research library in North America

Current perseverations: Repeating a short musical phrase from Velvet Cacoon's "Genevieve" in my brain over and over for the last 3 weeks

When did you discover AS? 2 weeks ago

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Recovering alcoholic (sober for 21 years)

Do you have a degree? Yes, Bachelors + Masters in Library & Information Science

Kids? No thank God

Favorite music? Apocalyptic folk (Current 93, Death in June, Unto Ashes, Of the Wand and the Moon), Black Metal (Burzum, Xasthur, Velvet Cacoon, Nortt)... anything that resonates gloom, loneliness, alienation...

Job? Antiquarian bookseller / part time instructor at the University

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Presently engaged (just bought our rings yesterday); survived MUCH tribulations with my fiancee over the last 5 years, we are working towards a more healthy and more peaceful relationship.

Plans for the future? Honeymoon in Ireland / Scotland... and after that just continue doing what I love, which is buying and selling ancient books... and also I want to continue trying to be a good person...

Anything else you feel is pertinent: Just want to say that all my life I have known that something was "not right" with me, but I seriously I had *NO* idea that I might have Asperger's. Discovering - at age 47 (!) - that I do have at least some characteristics of Asperberg's has been a real eye-opener. I want to learn how to try to "over-compensate" for my various irrational behaviors so that I don't make my own life (and other people's lives) so much more difficult than need be.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2009, 5:15 am

Not exactly new here - almost a yearling - but thought I'd answer the interview anyway

What is your first name? Bet you can't guess that one!

Current perseverations: [persnickety]I do tend to endlessly repeat things I see, even subconsciously, especially when learning a new language (having a field day here!) If "perseverations" in this context actually means "special interests", mine are meteorology (35 years running), languages (30+ years) and mental health (especially for the last year or so).[/persnickety]

When did you discover AS? First heard of it in 2001 or so, in an article in (of all places) the Wall Street Journal. Sounded like it fit my oldest brother to a T; I could relate to a lot of it but overall it described someone considerably lower-functioning. So it was forgotten... Next saw an article c. 2005, this time describing a woman my age. I could totally relate - until the end where she described a tactile hypersensitivity even worse than mine. Connection not made; topic goes dormant, but this time I did remember the name "Asperger's Syndrome", after racking my brain four years to recall it. At that time, the only other thing I knew about autism was Rain Man - and then, his special abilities were enough greater than mine to make the connection. He could count 246 toothpicks; I can flash count 40 or so. He could multiply 4-digit numbers instantly; I could only do 3-digit numbers in a few seconds. He remembered "A" through "G" in a phone book in one night; I might be able to do half a page, or 1,100 decimals of pi. And I could function. I understood what money was. So I couldn't be a real autistic savant, right? I couldn't really be autistic at all. Fast forward - September 2008. I stumbled into an article on the BBC Web site about an AS woman around my age living in the same English town. This time, the match was SPOT ON. All of the unconnected and dismissed "sympathies" I had with these earlier autistic subjects - BANG. This explains SO MUCH of what I had struggled with for so long that I forgot it was actually a struggle. At that point, I dove in, joined WP, read all I could, met and talked to other autistic people. Now I was sure I had it too. For completeness, closure and a sanity check, just to be sure that I wasn't seeing something that wasn't there just by being immersed in it, I went for a formal assessment, and was diagnosed in January 2009. Life makes sense now. I'm not wrong - just different. And there are others like me - similar in so many important ways, but so different in others. What a relief after 45 years of being convinced that I was a complete abominable freak.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Technically yes, although there is almost certainly a biological origin for the biggie (I'm talking about what today is labelled GID, which has since been effectively treated). Probably would at times qualify for major depression, and certainly alexythemia, and even perform much of the time like a disorganised-type schizophrenic; all of this stuff to me is just an offshoot of autism, so I can't be bothered seeking diagnosis - it's part of me and it is generally stable.

Do you have a degree? Bachelor of Science, Mathematics

Kids? Two lovely young ladies, currently 15 and 13

Favorite music, other than NIN Music is the only thing that helps me organise and connect to emotions. I enjoy and need 60s/70s/80s popular music, current Top 40 stuff, Serbian pop and traditional music, and a dabbling of electronica, house, and "fun music" to add just a bit of variety to the comforts of my repertoire.

Job? Started a company with three other people. I have survived for 25 years by programming complex models and calculations. When you are employed in a corporate environment, you need to become darn good at what you do so that your autistic oddities are tolerated.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? 16 years, surviving everything; now across 9,000km; to someone I have known since we were 4 and 3, respectively.

treebyleaf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2009, 7:57 pm

Hi, I'm new here but have been lurking for a little while :)

Current perseverations: Nature, reading, scribbling in my notebook, hand-carving stamps and other crafty things, exploring, cooking.

When did you discover AS? Heard about it around 10 years ago and thought it sounded a lot like me, especially at a younger age.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Major depression, GAD.

Do you have a degree? Psych and graphic design.

Kids? Nope.

Favorite music, other than NIN Laughing: Jethro Tull, Simon and Garfunkel, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, Counting Crows.

Job? Operations

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married :D

Plans for the future? In the near future: learn to drive, find some more friends, and get slightly more sane.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:50 am

Welcome to WP, new members!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!