Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2007, 2:48 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Maybe I should have said "merchant banker".
tell me if you need help to work that out - lol

Yeah, I needed help to work that out. Richard Cranium is a clever enough substitution with the two keys right there to translate it, as Merle demonstrated, but "merchant banker" means, what, "shopkeeper wanker"? Trader Lender? How's an American supposed to know that when we don't even use the word wanker?

From Wikipedia: "And so the merchant's "benches" (bank is a corruption of the Italian for bench, as in a counter) in the great grain markets became centers for holding money against a bill (billette, a note, a letter of formal exchange, later a bill of exchange, later still, a cheque)."

No, I haven't been too literal my whole life... Only a few decades. :wink:

postpaleo wrote:
My wife asked what the reformed meant. "We don't kill kids anymore."

My smart-as-hell nurse friend would joke like that, between ER stories such as things they had to extract from people's um, how would you English people put it, "mass wholes." Or "class tolls" or "glass voles." :roll:

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2007, 3:44 am

Shale wrote:
It comes down to learning how much to say, I think.
Group discussion is like a dance, not a forum. On forums, we can say as much as we please in one post because readers read at different speeds and times.
ONLY continue if they want you to. Get in there with one or two appropriately-timed sentences, make them interesting.
Wait your turn again.
You'll notice there's always one or two star players in the group that ALWAYS get to tell long stories and be the centre of attention. These people, usually, are already respected by the group or have a good method of making what they have to say interesting and relevant to everyone. Read the signs well, and you'll find it easy enough to get to do that every now and again.
People don't need to know your lifelong bibliographical opinion ... no big rants on tender subjects.
...eventually learning generically what will be received well and what won't.
...knowing how to extract one's foot, and then avoid putting it in one's mouth again in the future is an art we ALL have to learn :)
Good summary, Shale :D Wish I'd read it in my youth.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2007, 4:17 am

sinsboldly wrote:
There's a shameless game of moral chicken that war supporters play in which they dare opponents to say the war is a mistake because, they claim, saying so would then dishonor all the men and women who've already died in its cause.

So to spare the dead that ignominy
Not the dead; (I don't think they suffer ignominy) it's for the living, the relatives, who should be rising up and demanding accountability, impeaching and punishing those who ignored the whole world's protests and caused this debacle. In fact I don't believe it was "a mistake." I believe our mendacious and criminal administration KNEW what they were doing and did it anyway, knowing they had the Congress, Judiciary and major media locked up. Fascists love war, and war profits. :x
sinsboldly wrote:
I can't say a thing about the occupation of Iraq at work, I can't even mention it is an occupation instead of a 'war'... it is TABOO.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 9:43 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
But into a conversation and say, "my belly button lint is always blue" and see what happens to the conversation

Most peoples' belly button lint is blue. It is just because most clothes fibres are blue - even in white shirts.

lostartist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2007, 7:34 am

Bellybutton Lint Collection

Here you go. Enjoy!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:10 am

I thought the POOPIE post was funny!

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 7:52 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
One time I said "I guess if you're going to kill someone it should be a kid, because it's not like they're real people yet."

Oops! Should have not said that! And that was IRL.

I find that hilarious. I don't agree with it but it's funny especially in the context of thread...anyways,

I only say inappropriate things when people ask me questions, either rhetorical types on non-serious and I give them an honest answer. Sometimes they don't like what they hear :) I think I have a very dark sense of humour, sarcastic as well as crude. I often feel myself holding back even on here, because some things I find amusing are a bit of the strong sauce.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2007, 1:34 pm

nb411 wrote:
I think I have a very dark sense of humour, sarcastic as well as crude. I often feel myself holding back even on here, because some things I find amusing are a bit of the strong sauce.

Yeah, I often hold back for the same reason. And my nurse friend is even more so, but doesn't hold back.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2007, 7:51 am

I get into a bit of trouble for talking about taboo subjects like operations, bodily functions, politics (though not always - there is a man who sometimes gets on the same bus as me in the afternoon and he and I have had some good conversations about the gulf war and suchlike - he used to be a soldier but got injured in the leg some years ago), rubbish, dead animals and other grotty topics.

It's not meant to gross people out usually (unless they have p'ed me off) - I think I just mustn't have grown up in some areas. My daughter says I am sick to think fart jokes are hilarious. Even thinking of fart noises is funny.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon