Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 2:02 am

I came to the realisation a while ago that I am not good at emotional processing. However music can generate emotional feelings in me (I think more than most other people - if a great song is playing on the radio - I want to listen to it to the exclusion of everything else).

Some songs get me agitated and angry (most rap)

Some songs make me feel like melting away (especially Linda Ronstadt :heart:). Others bring a tear to my eye. Seeing people (live or images) in pain or injury (road trauma) or what ever usually doesn't.

I like most styles of music and can appreciate in any genre changes in time signatures and keys, and bands playing tightly together, etc. I hate it when singers get out of time with the band.

Music can help me change my mood.

Music doesn't seem to do that for the NT people around me.

How about you?

I'm not so interested in a discussion of music as music, but whether it creates an emotional response from you.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 2:20 am

Dance (and to a lesser degree, rock) music energizes me and makes me happy.

Certain songs, usually those that are slow and have meaningful lyrics, give me the chills and cause me to shed a couple of tears.

Examples of songs that have given me the chills:

"You Are Mine" by David Haas
"One Bread, One Body" by John Foley
"Gather Your People" by Bob Hurd
"I Pray" by Amanda Perez
"Name" by The Goo Goo Dolls
"I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack
"Prayer" by Hayley Westenra
"Walking in Memphis" by Marc Cohn
"Hands" by Jewel
"Ordinary Day" by Vanessa Carlton

intense
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2008, 2:42 am

Yes this is one of the reasons I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with music I have trouble expressing my emotions but music sets them free, I love any music that gives me goose bumps or makes me weep with joy and I am constantly searching for more.
It calms me down when I'm stressed or when I’ve had a meltdown, my whole world feels right and everything is in order when I listen to my music, I am so crazy about it (have been my whole life) that I simply can't understand people who say they don't like music????? That view is completely and utterly alien to me.

I like good lyrics but it’s the music that really captivates me, it says things to my soul and takes me to places that words could never express.

I honestly don’t think I couldn't exist without it.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 4:03 am

intense wrote:
It calms me down when I'm stressed or when I’ve had a meltdown, my whole world feels right and everything is in order when I listen to my music, I am so crazy about it (have been my whole life) that I simply can't understand people who say they don't like music????? That view is completely and utterly alien to me.

Yes, I always listen to music when I've had a meltdown and feel like it helps to slot the flying pieces of my mind back together again. If I feel an approaching meltdown, music can stop it happening sometimes. I have a set list of music on my MP3 player (it has to be via headphones or it doesn't work so well) that is for this purpose. I think it helps that it's so familiar. Some heavy rock, I think the heavy beat really helps, then some 'lighter' folk-type music, and dance music.

I find different kinds of music makes me feel different emotions. I find Faure's Requiem, and some Tchaikovsky, makes me feel blissful, no other word for it :) Also the sound of violins makes me 'feel more' than the piano.

Some music makes me feel depressed, David Bowie's 'Low' album for example, and some Mahler.

Does anyone 'hear' a particular piece of music in their minds when something happens? Hard to explain really but like your mind plays the music that goes with a certain situation, or the lylrics fit with what's going on. I find that often happens. Like, if I'm walking down a hospital corridor, the music to Emergency Ward 10 pops into my mind, lol.

Igor
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2008, 6:17 am

I don't think I'm an unemotional person generally, but I do find that I don't always have the "right" emotions at the right time. For example, I wasn't overly emotional about my parents passing on or the birth of my kids etc. I find I even have the "wrong" emotions, like when people tell me bad news, I have an overwhelming desire to smile - no idea why, because logically I understand the situation. I reckon I come across quite cold at times.

It might sound strange, but sometimes I can get more emotional in an artificial or imaginary world - perhaps I have time for my brain to adjust and react, rather than not knowing how I should respond at the instant something emotional happens.

With songs, I can get very tied in with the emotions generated both by the music and the lyrics, sometimes almost to a destructive level. In fact, I listen to music which enhances my mood, rather than counteracts it. When I'm feeling down, I tend to listen to music that makes me feel even more down, and when I'm happier I listen to music that makes me even happier.

Worst thing I can do when I'm unhappy is to listen to something like Tears for Fears's "The Hurting" album

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 8:14 am

Music, I think, is the best medium through which to communicate raw emotion. (Although I've heard, and agree, that smell is closely linked to memory. Too bad no smell symphonies.)

Even better, music can be reproduced, so it's possible to "trap" a feeling and meditate on it - study it.

I respond emotionally to music in a variety of ways that I don't in everyday life. So, yes.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2008, 10:10 am

Yes, music generally does elicit a strong emotional response from me. When I want to listen to music, I'm pretty selective of what I listen to, knowing it could enhance or really screw up my mood. I have to consciously block out the music piped into shops, salons, even the gas station, etc., and generally find it really annoying. I know there have been several times when the music in the background affected my perception of someone or something for better or worse, and I really had to struggle to stay objective. I took a class once where the power of movie soundtracks was demonstrated by seeing the scene with and without the music. Very dramatic difference!

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

I have strong emotive reactions to music. I love my favorite music fiercely, and I hate bad music just as violently. Oldies, country, schmaltzy pop, and ice cream truck soundtracks fill me with rage and I have to drown them out or leave. I've boycotted retail establishments for playing oldies.
I can't interrupt a song I like, and don't even like playing a tape or CD short of all the way through; the sequence of songs is like a larger composition that needs to be respected. (I used to be militant about this but I've softened in recent years.) My heavy music energizes me but is also cathartic for anger, which is a great combo of emotions for me, like someone else is giving voice to my rage so I don't have to. My instrumental guitar music is anywhere from uplifting to energizing to tolerably melancholy to oddly enigmatic. Hiphop is a little more mellow to me, and I think I don't take it as seriously as those others from an emotional standpoint.
I get extra oomph out of music listening to it on headphones for some reason, and/or in a dark room.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:41 pm

intense wrote:
Yes this is one of the reasons I am TOTALLY OBSESSED with music I have trouble expressing my emotions but music sets them free

Exactly the same with me!

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2008, 10:46 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
I came to the realisation a while ago that I am not good at emotional processing. However music can generate emotional feelings in me (I think more than most other people - if a great song is playing on the radio - I want to listen to it to the exclusion of everything else).

Some songs make me feel like melting away (especially Linda Ronstadt :heart:). Others bring a tear to my eye. Seeing people (live or images) in pain or injury (road trauma) or what ever usually doesn't.

I like most styles of music and can appreciate in any genre changes in time signatures and keys, and bands playing tightly together, etc. I hate it when singers get out of time with the band.

How about you?

I'm not so interested in a discussion of music as music, but whether it creates an emotional response from you.

Oh my gosh, this happens to me all the time! (although I do avoid some genres like rap unless I can use them for creative exsploites like writing or drawing)

Sometimes I listen to a song twenty times just because it gives me this 'high'

Is it okay if I recomend some of my favorites?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig[/youtube]

This one makes me feel so alive -I love it alot. (If you've never heard the bad Sigur Ros, they're from Iceland.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc1eqstMQQ[/youtube]

Also love this song by Sigur Ros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hdqhZo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwch7xMgMc

Last edited by 1Oryx2 on 18 Aug 2008, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Does anyone 'hear' a particular piece of music in their minds when something happens? Hard to explain really but like your mind plays the music that goes with a certain situation, or the lylrics fit with what's going on. I find that often happens. Like, if I'm walking down a hospital corridor, the music to Emergency Ward 10 pops into my mind, lol.

At every turning point or bump in my life their seems to be a song alway playing in my head or one that I associate with it.

I can tell you the song that played on the radio on my first date with my first real boyfriend, then the one I associated with a friend (my only crush) years later, also the song that played on the radio the day I drove to the hospital when my dad passed away, the song that played when I left my ex-husband, and the one when we got back together, and finally the one when it ended for good a few years ago.

I can't remember birthdays...and don't ask me what I had for breakfast...but music is different. I can't deal with emotions too well, and I can be as cold as an ice cube without meaning to be...but I'll sit and cry over a song. Go figure.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 12:24 am

DITTO!
I was actually just discussing this with a friend a couple of days ago. Its not as though I go around being an emotionless person without music but it does make me feel far more than otherwise....at least the music of my preference.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 8:04 am

Noticed this a while ago, the music has a major influence on what comes out of me. First noticed while gaming. The harder edge the music had the better I played certain games. Not that I'm a big fan of shooters, but get Nine Inch Nails playing in repeat mode in a very driven song and I played the game better. I've been watching my writing with this in mind as well. I most often have music in some form of repeat mode playing in my head phones almost all of the time I'm on the net or trying to write and that is a lot, really a lot, as in it's about all I do. If I have something along the lines of NIN playing and I'm into some kind of verbal banter (friendly or not so friendly) it becomes apparent to me I'm doing the shooter type game outcomes. To make it work for me in terms of say, poetry, I'm not sure yet, as certain styles of music attract my repeat mode more than others. It's almost like the music intensifies my emotions, feelings. I don't think that very unique, (people have and do get fired up with music and dance) but the fact that I do it all the time might be a bit different to most and I'm not speaking of those here. While it is white noise to me, it drowns out other things allowing me to better focus, at the same time what I pick does seem to influence what I'm doing, the outcomes.

At this point I'm still bouncing songs around looking for the one that suits me for where I'm at right now, emotionally. This is the one I'm in repeat mode right now and this is a pretty mellow post for me. Some might not think this music very mellow, but to me it is, yet is a very driven, repeat mode type style for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3LlTzN38s[/youtube]

intense
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 11:04 am

1Oryx2 wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:

How about you?

Oh my gosh, this happens to me all the time! (although I do avoid some genres like rap unless I can use them for creative exsploites like writing or drawing)

Sometimes I listen to a song twenty times just because it gives me this 'high'

Is it okay if I recomend some of my favorites?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig[/youtube]

This one makes me feel so alive -I love it alot. (If you've never heard the bad Sigur Ros, they're from Iceland.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc1eqstMQQ[/youtube]

Also love this song by Sigur Ros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3hdqhZo ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwch7xMgMc
Hello fellow Sigur Ros fan I'm litening to Takk right now :D

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:47 pm

Bazz do you like Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstandt?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:56 pm

Bazz, if you like changes in time signatures (and sometimes just plain odd time signatures), I'd like to recommend one of my favorite bands, Rush. (I don't really understand what time signatures are, but I asked a friend who had majored in music about it - he described most of the song "Red Barchetta" as being played in 2/3 time, which he said was basically 3/4 played in triplets, whatever that means.) :)

It's a good band for eliciting emotional response from me, too - it's still hard to listen to "Everyday Glory" without choking up, and "Beneath Between and Behind", even though it was recorded in 1976 and aimed at another administration altogether, gets me even more annoyed with Bush...

Red Barchetta:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndNo4TOTuAk[/youtube]

Everyday Glory:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IivVlIotHAQ[/youtube]

Beneath Between and Behind:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjAlW4r9mAg[/youtube]