Page 4 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

oddnumberedcat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2017, 12:00 am

I like kids. I'm terrible at interacting with them, but I like them.

Realistically, though, I don't think I'd be a good parent. Primarily, I am very narrowly focused on the things I'm interested in at the exclusion of all else, and a kid would take away the time I have to dedicate to those things. I'm also quite introverted; I like people well enough and enjoy socializing if included, but my natural, most comfortable state is solitude. And, finally, from a logistical standpoint, I am not romantically or sexually inclined in any way whatsoever. Nothing against it, just have never been even vaguely interested, and, at this point at 25, I think the ship for that part of my brain turning on has long since sailed. That makes kids even more unfeasible, since being a single parent would be 1) ton of work and 2) horribly expensive.

So, yeah, no kids.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 12:16 am

Nope, never have. I would make a terrible parent for many, many reasons, and I am repulsed by even the idea of... performing the act that creates children (of course, I'd also need a boyfriend/husband first... I don't know if even that is ever going to happen, not that I particularly mind if it doesn't). And I've just never really had the urge to have children in the first place.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

300series
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 12:45 am

NO! I knew back when I was only 4 years old that I never wanted to have children or ever get married. I am now 32 years old & I still feel exactly the same way. I like my life the way it is right now. I do not want any of the responsibilities that parenting or marriage requires. My entire life would be an absolute nightmare.

The Cat Ghost

02 Aug 2017, 5:56 pm

I never wanted kids. I was really sure of that. I chickened out on a referral appointment for "the snip" years back-level of not wanting kids. Then I found a NT lady I really love (who is 8 years younger than me, I'm 35, she is 27; and our maturity level matches really well) and we got married and had a kid. I don't know what made me change my mind but it just kinda felt right.

So yeah, fast forward to right now. My little guy is almost 11 months old and being a father is the greatest thing that has ever happened. Sure, it has thrown our life into a strange form of chaos, but there is something so amazing about a little person who is genuinely excited to see your face even if you just leave the room for a minute or two. Getting to know this little man has been my life's greatest privilege. Being able to spend time with a tiny person who looks a lot like me and genuinely enjoys my company has done an incalculable amount of good helping me build back up my self-confidence.

The way I see it, and I suppose the way it has turned out for me, my new "project/obsession" is my son and being a great father. It puts everything else I've ever obsessed about to shame.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

I have a history of mental illness and a family history too. I don't want to pass that down. I don't think I would be stable either.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2017, 1:49 am

I've known for a long time that I would probably never marry and definitely never have children. I have no desire, no curiosity, no money, and no partner. Having a kid is the most serious commitment a person can make, and commitment has never been one of my strengths. I like other people's kids in small doses (assuming they don't stink and know how to behave) but that's it.

Plus, there's a possibility that my ASD is genetic, and I really don't want anyone else to go through what I have. It's not like you can ask the child in advance whether they're okay with it. :?

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

synthpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 6:26 am

As a child, I was disgusted by babies. Even in my pre-teens and going through puberty, I always had a very strong aversion to babies and toddlers. Six year olds were tolerable, in theory, but I always became overwhelmed by them in person. I always had a very odd dislike for kids. I used to plan on getting a hysterectomy just to ensure that I could never get pregnant, even if I weren't sexually active, just in case I were impregnated upon being raped. I always told my mother I'd never want kids, but she always said I'd change my mind as I got older.
She was sort of right. She was never right about much, as off the hinges as she is, but she was sort of right about that. Sort of. I still don't actively desire children, and my decreasing aversion to children isn't simply due to ageing, really, but rather, the fact that I'm in love. I see children and I find myself daydreaming about packing lunches at 6 AM as my love helps our offspring get dressed and brush their teeth. It's a very idealized and romanticized view on parenthood, of course. I used to be disgusted by the mere idea of kids existing, so this is an extreme change. I actually find myself finding kids cute, now.
I also once had a very horrible fear of pregnancy. The idea of having something living inside of me, growing and developing with time into something that will one day be my size. I feared I'd go insane while pregnant and somehow hurt myself as I'm pregnant, I feared I'd be vomiting all the time (I had a very extreme fear of vomit for over 10 years), I feared I'd suffer from post-partum psychosis, or worsened depression. It should be noted that all these fears are quite irrational, and I suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder.
I no longer fear all these things I once did about pregnancy and parenthood. I still fear I'd somehow ruin my child forever, permanently scar them and ruin their self-esteem and ability to function, like my mother did to me, but I suppose every parent would fear that--or, at least, they should, honestly.

I would never actively seek out children if I were single, or if my partner didn't want any. If my partner didn't want any kids, ever, I'd really have no desire for children, either. I'm not a mindless drone, or anything, following my partner's every wish--I just wouldn't ever want kids when the person I love the most wouldn't want them because raising kids is a team-effort while in a relationship. Any desire for children would be killed if I learned my partner did not ever want kids. I wouldn't force it away, it would just cease to exist. I don't really even 'want' kids, I just can see the pros of having children at this point.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:33 am

Do i want small things screaming in my sensitive ears, crying for the smallest of reasons?

Nuthatchnut
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2017, 8:25 am

I've started over and rewritten this post a number of times. Do I like children? Yes (unless they travel in packs). Do I think I would make a good parent? Well, the instinct is there.

However, reality is that I am not even capable of taking care of myself consistently. There was a time that I thought that this slippery grip on my own life was a temporary thing that I would eventually outgrow. I know now that it is not some form of transient immaturity. This is who I am. These are my limitations.

So what about that parental instinct? In the end I think that it is what's keeping me from having children. I feel too protective of my would be children to have them in the first place. Does that even make sense?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

Yes I do. Still haven't solved the first-you-need-to-get-a-wife problem, though. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

No, I flippin' well don't! I decided at the age of 8 I wasn't going to become a mother. Here's why:

I am asexual.
I have an extremely low pain threshold so childbirth would finish me.
I am not psychologically equipped to be a mother. My reaction to a screaming/crying brat would be to fling it through the nearest window.
I hate children. And I mean hate, not just dislike.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:49 pm

Not only no, but oh hell no. Kids are great, but I can't even take care of myself. Sometimes I think having cats is too much work. I love them though.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2017, 12:59 pm

Yes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:10 pm

NO.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:22 pm

I've never considered having children. I'm not interested and I don't like children.

blueghost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

Yes but we haven't been able to. Makes me really sad...