Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Xochitl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2017, 7:42 am

I have always wanted children, although with my ASD diagnosis I cut down on how many I wanted simply because I know that I would not be able to handle more.

I have a 4 year old daughter and have been trying to #2 for around 7 months now. That's my limit. I think the main reason I wanted children was to be the person to them that I never had. My upbringing wasn't the best, so I feel the desire to raise children better than I was. There are far too many ignorant people in this struggling world and maybe I can help to put some interesting foward thinking people into it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 7:47 am

Even if I like children, I don't want to have one.

Not because I think that couldn't, or afraid of having responsibilities. I don't want any person -- anyone -- that revolves my life around or me revolving around someone.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Stormeh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2017, 7:42 pm

No. Not now and not ever.

The world is becoming more reliant on technology than ever before. Jobs are being automated, layoffs will continue to grow and I'm willing to bet within the next 20 years there will be no such thing as a "starting" minimum wage job like working in retail or fast food for instance.. and if any do exist, well, it will be very competitive and let's just say those new to the world of job hunting won't be so lucky.

If I have a kid I won't be supporting him/her until they're 18, I'll be supporting them indefinitely.. perhaps for the rest of their life lest a guaranteed income system be set into place and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Also I have a dog. He's a big enough pain as it is. I love him to death but he's stubborn.

Chapel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

I have an autistic son.

Aspie-Quiz

questor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 9:41 am

I was eight years old and had just gotten out of school for the day. As I walked through the school grounds I was thinking about marriage and kids for some reason and decided right then that I would never marry, and never have kids. I am now in my late 50s and have never changed my mind about it, so I never married, and never had kids, and I am not sorry about it at all. Besides not wanting to do either one, I also eventually realized that I'd make a lousy wife and a lousy mother anyway, so no regrets here. I made the right choice for me. I have no quarrel with others getting married and having kids, but none for me, thanks.

alansnotreal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2017, 12:16 pm

I am married and neither of us want children. This was our sentiment well before my recent Aspergers diagnosis.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 12:51 pm

No. I made up my mind at four years old that I never wanted to get married or have kids. I'm too selfish to raise a child. My special interest come first and if my child didn't share my special interest, I'd very possibly hand them over to child protective services. I had a hysterectomy in my early 20's and have never come to regret it.

I'd also be pretty clueless about how to raise a child and just repeat the same mistakes my mother made with me. I wouldn't be able to connect with my child emotionally or be able to emphathise with them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 1:13 pm

I don't want to have anymore. My husband and I already have two. Income is the reason and so is how I can't handle stress like a normal person and I just don't want the extra work and have more clutter in the house.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

I used to want three children, now I'd be happy with just one. But I've been thinking recently. I have autism in my genes (of course), but I think my child can handle that. It isn't a definite, just an increased risk. I'm not sure if I'd want to have any child in such a corrupt world filled with darkness.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Mar 2017, 6:53 pm

I would like to have a family one day, growing old and dying alone doesn't sound very fun or a life well lived. I'm a long ways off to actually being ready but the sentiment is there. Will I? Probably not. :skull:

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2017, 1:12 pm

I have one child and definitely don't want any more biological children. Pregnancy and especially childbirth were like some kind of bloody horror, I dread even the thoughts of it. I had post-natal depression as well, just couldn't handle it all.

If my partner wanted to adopt a child (just not a baby! no way!) I would probably agree. I'd say maybe a 6-8 year old. I'm not sure though if I'd be considered as an adoptive parent with my diagnosis or rejected straight away, anybody knows?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 1:29 pm

Had wanted to have a family but life hasn't worked out that way and I have no children. My younger brother has 3 boys to carry on our family name and one of them already has 2 children, so that is taken care of for another generation.
With the way my overall health is now, and with my age, I don't expect I could raise a child in addition to the trouble I have taking care of myself and my home.
Am deeply disappointed about that.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2017, 1:33 pm

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
NEVER!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
I used to want three children, now I'd be happy with just one. But I've been thinking recently. I have autism in my genes (of course), but I think my child can handle that. It isn't a definite, just an increased risk. I'm not sure if I'd want to have any child in such a corrupt world filled with darkness.

I was worried about that happening to me as there are a number of conditions in the family and both my wife and I have Autism traits. My unborn son ended up getting an extremely rare genetic condition that nobody, not even the doctors could have imagined and nobody in the family carries. This particular condition is almost always fatal (and was in this case sadly). After that, I couldn't care less about something minor like Asperger's.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I was worried about that happening to me as there are a number of conditions in the family and both my wife and I have Autism traits. My unborn son ended up getting an extremely rare genetic condition that nobody, not even the doctors could have imagined and nobody in the family carries. This particular condition is almost always fatal (and was in this case sadly). After that, I couldn't care less about something minor like Asperger's.

Sorry GiantHockeyFan

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2017, 1:13 am

At this point, my fiancee and I don't want children, mostly because in my family, there are things like bipolar disorder and possibly autism that is genetic. I say that because one of my great grandmothers had Aspie traits, from what I've heard as she died before I was born, so I wouldn't know for sure. Another issue is that I've struggled with steady employment, to the point where I'm on SSI, and I never wanted to bring a child into the world that I wouldn't really be able to support on my own. Now that I'm older, there's also the increased risk of things like Down syndrome and other genetic issues, if I'm still fertile.

I got myself that IUD that lasts for 10 years a month ago, as it's easier to get than having one's tubes tied even though I'm 41 and never had children. I just got tired of dealing with the pharmacy every month, and the fact that birth control prescriptions don't actually last a full year.