What are your feelings about the scandal at Mendip House?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GeordieGent
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2018, 6:54 pm

Does anyone believe the NAS apologies are sincere? I lived in their care homes for years and raised these issues but nobody was even interested. Now a major scandal erupts and suddenly ‘lessons must be learned’.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

http://treatingautism.org.uk/treating-a ... re-autism/

There are some interesting points in this about medical problems for people with autism BUT it also also says these abuses would be less likely to happen if people were less autistic :o There's not much in the way of groveling, and it's also a blatant beg for money. I don't think anyone's feeling very charitable towards charities at the moment.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 6:05 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
http://treatingautism.org.uk/treating-autism-statement-re-mendip-house-scandal-nas-run-care-home-for-adults-with-severe-autism/

There are some interesting points in this about medical problems for people with autism BUT it also says these abuses would be less likely to happen if people were less autistic :o There's not much in the way of groveling, and it's also a blatant beg for money. I don't think anyone's feeling very charitable towards charities at the moment.

It is a lot worse than that. It says Social Model of Disability = Horrific Abuse and Covering up abuse.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TracyLou
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

Absolutely terrified, my son is non-verbal, when we are no longer around for our son, what will happen to him, I really do not trust these places.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

TracyLou wrote:
Absolutely terrified, my son is non-verbal, when we are no longer around for our son, what will happen to him, I really do not trust these places.
I think things will improve, if not for better reasons at least because the attitude of burying problems as a way of dealing with them is ending, so to is the attitude of shooting the wistleblower, so there is hope for the future.

SpacePuppy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm

So basically, Treating Autism take the view that ASD is (or should be) treatable and want to cure and/or prevent it. Do they also believe that vaccination causes ASD?! They are touting a very reductionist medical model which I personally think is extremely unhelpful and potentially damaging. Obviously there are no excuses for what happened at Mendip House, but I think that Treating Autism using it as an argument against the social model of disability and to promote their own biased views is pretty bad.