Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you feel you at higher risk of homelessness as an autistic person?
No, it is has never occurred to me 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
No, I feel that I will always have people to take care of me 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No, i am capable of taking care of myself 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Yes, I am terrified of being homeless 55%  55%  [ 32 ]
Yes, but I would not mind being homeless as long as I could still focus on my special interest 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Yes with a mixture of both the fourth and fifth option 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 58

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 8:17 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I don't fear homelessness as such, but am terrified of having to live with other people or in a crowded place. I do own my little house in the woods free and clear and that is precious.

yes. group home. whatever. precious lil "people" have their own felony convictions and psychiatric diagnoses. there are a lot of them and just one of me. some of them have gone to jail and are not afraid of going back. some of them are physically stronger and smarter than me. they outnumber, overpower, and outsmart me. the correct method of dealing with them, is to stay as far away as necessary. some of them act all buddy/buddy, one second, but the second (they correctly or wrongly think that) you said or did the slightest thing wrong (according to their standards), its mister hyde and doctor jekyll.

even when they are not angry, they are annoying. there are too many of them. they talk too much. they talk too loud. they act like they are the latest great thing since sliced bread.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 1:24 pm

I basically had a pyschotic breakdown when I was 25 in college.
All that led up to it was my sister and her friend treating me badly at our parents' house when I was living there and not at college, being more in tune to my sensitivities and them bothering me more since I had more responsibilities, the whole not feeling comfortable in my own skin because of past trauma and how people percieved me at times. Dealing with sexual addiction caused by trauma, yet not knowing how to fix it. It caused a blow out with some "friends" when I was getting my self together and the two I think figured out some of what happened concerning that earlier on in college. It was nothing that even concerned them though. Then, being able to keep a job for short times, my parents' pressure on me to be normal (have a job, stay with it, be rooted, be stable, don't worry about having friends or being happy all the time). Some of those made sense, but some were mean.
I ended up convincing a mental hospital to let me go to Florida and find a homeless shelter there because I didn't want to go back to them.
I found out a lot of things. I probably got more trauma, but I figured out how people work more since I had time to.
I got in a few dangerous situations. I came out ok. I learned I have trouble with one addiction but didn't succumb to what happens to most girls who get in a rut out on the streets. But, it's hard living in an apartment though. I may be in danger of getting evicted over something stupid. I have a son though now. I don't know what's going on yet. Or how serious.
I just want to be somewhere where I feel safe and not attacked.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 5:35 pm

A hut in the woods is not homelessness, it is off-grid housing.
I have been homeless and dependent upon charity a few times when I was younger, and it isn't bad for a brief period. I got better at keeping my own roof. One time, I rented a whole house and then sublet rooms to cover all my rent.

There is a wide variation in house-guest skills. When people say "Make yourself at home." they mean "Blend into our home routine." If you don't leave your stuff around, and leave everything cleaner than you found it, your welcome lasts many times longer.
In 'o6, I had a highly traumatizing eviction, and felt most at home in my car, so I put gas in the tank until I found houses going begging, so I wouldn't have to deal with a landlord.
I have not found a perfect bit of woods to move to yet, but I have a full RV in miniature in my micro-car for economical travel and emergency use.
There are also urban options for the ingenious. Besides vehicles and boats, people live in neglected utility rooms and other odd spaces. There have been some wonderful squats in city parks, dug into seaside cliffs or high in trees.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 7:55 pm

^^^^ I hope you find your bit of woods.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm

Homelessness builds character. Look at ASS-P and me. Don't we have lots of character? :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 7:37 am

I couldn’t handle being homeless.

I’m just not that resourceful.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 2:44 pm

I spent five days in a homeless shelter after my mother started getting emotionally abusive. I fear shelters more than I do the streets. I think I could survive easily in an alleyway somewhere or on a remote island or forest as long as I was the only person.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2019, 6:43 pm

I worry about my future too. Security is one of my biggest essentials in life, and the thought of being forced out on the streets terrifies me to the point of freaking out. I wouldn't survive 5 minutes in cold temperatures, as I almost pass out from being cold when I'm wrapped up in a coat, scarf, hat, gloves and boots when waiting for a bus on a freezing cold day.

I don't think anyone should be forced to be homeless. For most of us, homelessness is terrifying. The streets of most Essex cities scare me, which is one reason why I don't go out at night. I don't really want to be laying in doorways of shops with a begging bowl, for all to gawk at when they walk by. I don't deserve to live like that. I am an honest, reliable, hard-working person who just wants to live in a warm and secure place with all of my home comforts and loving people around me.
I know a girl who was once homeless, and her experience frightens me. She wasn't on the streets, but she was temporarily living in this shelter for homeless women, and there was a lot of trouble there. There was aggressive women with severe emotional issues and drug addictions, and luckily this girl was quite tough otherwise she would have been prey for all of these angry women. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in one of those either. I'm not as low as that as a person. I have never taken drugs and I don't drink alcohol, and I am timid but good and kind to everyone, and I am 'down to Earth' and like to live life in an honest way by working hard and being responsible. Living with lowlife, angry, gobby, chavvy drug-addicts is really not my sort of environment. At all. And if some greedy and stubborn rich person from the government turfs me out of my home just because I have Asperger's, anxiety and ADHD and can only work certain amount of hours in a menial sort of job because that's all I can find but I'm finding it hard to find the money for all the rent and bills that just increase every year, then I will kick off.

This is why I haven't brought myself a car despite having a driver's license. Running a car eats up a lot of your money, and I am extremely responsible with my money that I save up, and I want to keep those savings just in case I do end up homeless one day. It's only a few thousand but it's better than nothing if I need to fight to not become homeless.

That is how scared s**tless I am of becoming homeless.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2019, 9:27 pm

Yes. I depend entirely on my mom and I have nobody else. If something happens to her I don't know what I'm going to do. :(

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 1:57 am

I know a guy who owned a house mortgage-free at 29 because he had never bought a car.

Some mothers don't teach independence, because they get stuck enjoying life as a mother. Others just can't explain it well. To prepare for the decline of support people, we can at least learn to do more for ourselves, and to help them in various ways.

It is not uncommon for heirs to continue living in their accustomed style until the day they go homeless with no preparation at all. Don't get into a rut like that. Learn new skills "just in case," and general interest too. Take some spare change, and talk to some homeless people even if you feel secure. Life is full of surprises. I knew a girl in England who was living on the street because both her parents had died in a crash, and the lawyers wouldn't give her a penny until she turned 21.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Mar 2019, 7:19 am

My parents own their home & have abit of money saved up despite being lower middle class & they have some life insurance policies. I'm an only child so I'd inherit everything so I think about the only way I would ever of been homeless if if my parents really would of kicked me out. I can not handle living alone thou but I would of taken in a woman who needed a place to stay for some reason since I also struggled majorly to get a romantic realtionship. That would of solved both problems.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2019, 10:08 am

nick007 wrote:
My parents own their home & have abit of money saved up despite being lower middle class & they have some life insurance policies. I'm an only child so I'd inherit everything so I think about the only way I would ever of been homeless if if my parents really would of kicked me out. I can not handle living alone thou but I would of taken in a woman who needed a place to stay for some reason since I also struggled majorly to get a romantic realtionship. That would of solved both problems.

Taking in a helper for room and board gets people with problems of their own. Expecting a romance as well is a recipe for disaster. People need the glue of love, not money, for a happy marriage. People lose houses every day from conflicting expectations.
"The principle difference between a dog and a man is just this: If you pick up a stray dog, and feed him, and make him prosperous, he will not bite you." - Mark Twain

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2019, 8:20 pm

I was. Once as a 19 year old for about a week, sleeping in doorways and such and again when I was 30, 6 weeks in a car, with wife and
kids. I have worked over 41 jobs and took insane risks to make sure that never happens again. Now my 20 year autistic daughter lives with me. Every day is a struggle to keep her from being kicked out or me being abandoned by my support at home for me keep defending her. I have a therapist, a doctor, a psychiatrist, even a neurologist. Nothing helps. Drugs don't help, I am stuck in a crack, that thin line where I can't get SSI, but cannot keep a job. I was gifted in school in the 70s and 80s. One of the "lost generation" before doctors knew that it is a spectrum. I can understand why we kill ourselves, die of heart attacks and "accidents". Nothing else we do works.

JonWood007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2019, 12:37 pm

Not immediately but after my parents eventually die I'm scared crapless.

RDOS: NT- 93, ND- 119

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 12:07 pm

If I was ever homeless, I'd probably suffer with PTSD after that. That's if I don't die of coldness and fright.

Homelessness scares me and I wish I could get some reassurance. I hope there is support services out there for homeless people who want to help themselves, if I do ever become homeless. I do not want to be tarred with the same brush as the tough "don't give a f**k" drug and alcohol addict type of people. I am opposite to those people; I need security, I am timid and nervous, I never plan to have anything to do with drugs or alcohol, and I don't even mix with those types of people. They are beneath me.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:19 am

Still get in a cold sweat thinking about homelessness, though I'm safer now than I used to be. I spent 17 years moving from one grotty shared household to the next, on average once a year. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with strangers. Convincing strangers that I'd make a good housemate is, er, about as easy as you'd expect for One of Us. And increasingly strict financial vetting by letting agents made it almost impossible to find places towards the end. (The irony is, I'm more reliable about rent and bills than many a person who earns five times what I do. Apparently that doesn't count for anything.)

I reached the head of the queue for a council flat two years ago, thanks in part to them considering me at risk of homelessness. Immediately before that, I was an illegal lodger- lodging with a couple whose own lease did not permit them to sublet. It was all I could get. Three weeks after I moved out, their house was severely flooded. Had I still been there, I would probably have ended up on the street.