Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 1:48 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Yes. The second option I think. It could be fear or repulsion. She wanted to go up to this guy and tell him how upset and sad she was. Good that she didn't. Maybe it's correlated to her OCD and obsession with illnesses and fear of disease.
I once worked with a woman whose husband was a speech therapist. She use to go around to the rest of us suggesting that our speech impediments -- which only she could hear -- somehow made us all unfit for employment, promotion, or just plain socializing. Then she'd try to gaslight people into believing that they were in such deep denial of their speech impediments that they required psychological counseling. She resigned when she got tired the rest of us showing our lack of appreciation for her "helpful" criticism (e.g., she got called into the boss's office for a "talk" about her behavior).

There's been talk in other threads about Munchausen by Proxy (MbP), Autism by Proxy (AbP), and Factitious disorder imposed on another (FDIA or FDIoA) -- psychiatric factitious disorders wherein those affected feign disease, illness, or psychological trauma in themselves or others to draw attention, sympathy, or reassurance to themselves.

Jussie Smollet pulled something similar when he claimed to have been attacked by two white men, when it was actually two black men that he had hired to stage the attack.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 2:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Yes. The second option I think. It could be fear or repulsion. She wanted to go up to this guy and tell him how upset and sad she was. Good that she didn't. Maybe it's correlated to her OCD and obsession with illnesses and fear of disease.
I once worked with a woman whose husband was a speech therapist. She use to go around to the rest of us suggesting that our speech impediments -- which only she could hear -- somehow made us all unfit for employment, promotion, or just plain socializing. Then she'd try to gaslight people into believing that they were in such deep denial of their speech impediments that they required psychological counseling. She resigned when she got tired the rest of us showing our lack of appreciation for her "helpful" criticism (e.g., she got called into the boss's office for a "talk" about her behavior).

There's been talk in other threads about Munchausen by Proxy (MbP), Autism by Proxy (AbP), and Factitious disorder imposed on another (FDIA or FDIoA) -- psychiatric factitious disorders wherein those affected feign disease, illness, or psychological trauma in themselves or others to draw attention, sympathy, or reassurance to themselves.

Jussie Smollet pulled something similar when he claimed to have been attacked by two white men, when it was actually two black men that he had hired to stage the attack.

I have heard of Munchausen by Proxy. I learned about it in my nursing studies.Never encountered it in my nursing career. The poor speech therapist's wife could have done a lot of damage to vulnerable people.
It's fortunate that the matter was taken care of.

My daughter in law is a good woman, though very dysfunctional at times. Her anxieties affect my son and my grandchildren greatly.All I can do is love her and help however much I can.
You know because I am an RN and an English teacher with some students with learning disabilities, I tend to "diagnose" people uninvited too. I will stop now and just deal with the specific problem, and not try and match a global diagnosis to it. That comes also from my own childhood neglect, I just want to make it easier for other people.

Fnord we are all doing the best we can with what we have been given. Meeting good people wherever they are makes the journey a little sweeter. Thank you so much, you have helped me a lot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

Teach51 wrote:
... Fnord we are all doing the best we can with what we have been given. Meeting good people wherever they are makes the journey a little sweeter. Thank you so much, you have helped me a lot.
Thank YOU!

I'm so used to being criticized for upholding the truth that a simple act of gratitude makes my day!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 3:09 pm

Teach51,
It sounds like your daughter-in-law was feeling sympathy for the person in the restaurant, rather than empathy. Sympathy is seldom distinguished from empathy these days, but they are separate emotions. I haven't read your whole conversation but I just thought I'd say hello and welcome you on board.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 4:17 pm

:lol:

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
... Fnord we are all doing the best we can with what we have been given. Meeting good people wherever they are makes the journey a little sweeter. Thank you so much, you have helped me a lot.
Thank YOU!

I'm so used to being criticized for upholding the truth that a simple act of gratitude makes my day!

Fnord: :D

Thank you Isabella. Hi to you too!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 12:55 pm

I'm an empath, and it can sometimes be rather afflicting in some ways. I'll rather be the opposite, because being a strong empath like I am doesn't win me many friends anyway. People just think I'm weak. Also being an empath can make you look more naive than you really are. I'm not too bad with sussing out people's motives, but I pretend to be ignorant to it because I want them to be happy more than I want me to be happy. So that probably contributes to my depression half the time, because I put other people's happiness before my own. But since I happen to be on the stupid autism spectrum, if I do decide to be selfish for a moment, people will be like "you lack empathy!!" :shrug:

I have cognitive empathy too. Last week I was on holiday and we saw my cousin's mother-in-law who works in one of the supermarkets there. She had only met us once, so we assumed she'd know who we were, but when we said "hi, how are you?", she smiled and said "hi...good thanks", but I could tell in her facial expression and tone of voice that she hadn't recognised us and she was wondering who we were. I felt awkward for her, because she looked really confused, so we then told her who we were, and she then looked more relaxed and she said, "ohh yes, I'm surprised to see you here!" followed by small talk. But I could really feel how she was feeling by her body language when she didn't recognise us. I do this often; feel what other people are feeling, usually from their body language (which includes facial expression and tone of voice).

plateshutoverlock
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2019, 12:18 am

DanielW wrote:
Gromit wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Im confused. How can one be an empath (read others emotions well) and at the same time say you can't/don't read others well?

Aurora911 can speak for herself, but I don't have a problem with the idea. Intensity of empathy is not the same as accuracy.

I guess I still don't get it? I mean I understand (or think I do) that the OP feels intense emotions coming from others, but feeling them without understanding them well would seem to be the same problem everyone has who can't read emotions well.

I'm thinking an empath is somebody with very strong intuition, who is very good at picking up physical and vocal cues from a person (something people with autism are often accused of not being able to).

I don't firmly believe in any psychic/spirtual/supernatural stuff because, well, seeing is believing and I have yet to see any solid proof that it exists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 8:14 am

plateshutoverlock wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Gromit wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Im confused. How can one be an empath (read others emotions well) and at the same time say you can't/don't read others well?
Aurora911 can speak for herself, but I don't have a problem with the idea. Intensity of empathy is not the same as accuracy.
I guess I still don't get it? I mean I understand (or think I do) that the OP feels intense emotions coming from others, but feeling them without understanding them well would seem to be the same problem everyone has who can't read emotions well.
I'm thinking an empath is somebody with very strong intuition, who is very good at picking up physical and vocal cues from a person (something people with autism are often accused of not being able to). I don't firmly believe in any psychic/spirtual/supernatural stuff because, well, seeing is believing and I have yet to see any solid proof that it exists.
Welcome, fellow skeptic!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 9:36 am

Fnord wrote:
plateshutoverlock wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Gromit wrote:
DanielW wrote:

I'm thinking an empath is somebody with very strong intuition, who is very good at picking up physical and vocal cues from a person (something people with autism are often accused of not being able to). I don't firmly believe in any psychic/spirtual/supernatural stuff because, well, seeing is believing and I have yet to see any solid proof that it exists.
Welcome, fellow skeptic!

That's my boy! I thought of you Fnord the moment I read it :D

I absolutely believe though that there are existing levels of communication between people that have yet to be proven scientifically, an additional dimension if you will. I have been studying Kabbalah, the method of Baal Ha Sulam, and Rabbi Baruch Ashlag,( not Madonna's kind:-)) for many, many years and have experienced this communication personally. Kabbalah is the study of the forces of nature, to a Kabbalist, God is nature. There are forces in nature that we have to train ourselves to fully perceive them sense and comprehend them, and we must learn to utilise and implement them correctly. The wisdom of kabbalah is the study of these forces, in order to attain the final correction of the shattered soul, of which we all have a fragment, connect them all together and bring redemption and an end to all suffering for mankind. Yes, sounds corny.The Torah is the handbook of the purpose of life and is all written in coded language, according to the belief of kabbalists. Complete mumbo jumbo to most I have no doubt lol No matter, connecting people and promoting tolerance, love, unity and mutual responsibility can do no harm. Einstein in his golden years was very closely involved with the wisdom of kabbalah. I belong to an organization with hundreds of thousands of people, on all continents and of all religions who connect with each other constantly to promote world peace using this method.

You did convince me though that empathy is possibly a hyper-vigilence triggered by trauma, a conditioning to read people's moods, in emergency mode as a defence mechanism. Animals have this instinct. I recall that you suggested it might be that we emit a certain scent when nervous or afraid? That makes a lot of sense. You have taught me to be more logical, believe me, this is a very good thing. :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 9:46 am

Teach51 wrote:
... You did convince me though that empathy is possibly a hyper-vigilence triggered by trauma, a conditioning to read people's moods, in emergency mode as a defence mechanism. Animals have this instinct. I recall that you suggested it might be that we emit a certain scent when nervous or afraid? That makes a lot of sense. You have taught me to be more logical, believe me, this is a very good thing.
The next step would be to put down those texts on ancient superstitions. Anything to do with astrology, numerology, and "mystical" diagrams is worthless, unless you're being paid to tell people what they want to hear about themselves.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:23 am

Sometimes I think I know what others are feeling, but I often get it wrong.

As a kid, I would get panic attacks when an ambulance would go by because I’d envision some sort of horrible scenario and extreme suffering when, for all I knew, someone was mistaking a case of bad indigestion for a heart attack.

When people believe that they are empaths, I think it tends to come down to having empathy, imagination, and, at times, zeroing in on specific social clues - almost automatically. We can read a given situation, perhaps, without realizing the cognition behind the conclusion we seem to have come to intuitively.

I do get stressed when others are stressed and upset when others are, but I think that has something to do with having dealt with scary/upsetting situations involving stress when I was a kid. It can make me panicky and activate a fight or flight response.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:26 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
... You did convince me though that empathy is possibly a hyper-vigilence triggered by trauma, a conditioning to read people's moods, in emergency mode as a defence mechanism. Animals have this instinct. I recall that you suggested it might be that we emit a certain scent when nervous or afraid? That makes a lot of sense. You have taught me to be more logical, believe me, this is a very good thing.
The next step would be to put down those texts on ancient superstitions. Anything to do with astrology, numerology, and "mystical" diagrams is worthless, unless you're being paid to tell people what they want to hear about themselves.

Then we will agree to disagree :lol: Diversity of thought is an excellent thing.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:30 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

As a kid, I would get panic attacks when an ambulance would go by because I’d envision some sort of horrible scenario and extreme suffering when, for all I knew, someone was mistaking a case of bad indigestion for a heart attack.

When people believe that they are empaths, I think it tends to come down to having empathy, imagination, and, at times, zeroing in on specific social clues - almost automatically. We can read a given situation, perhaps, without realizing the cognition behind the conclusion we seem to have come to intuitively.

I do get stressed when others are stressed and upset when others are, but I think that has something to do with having dealt with scary/upsetting situations involving stress when I was a kid. It can make me panicky and activate a fight or flight response.

"Without realizing the cognition behind the conclusion that we seem to have come to intuitively"

That's a valid point Twilightprincess.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:57 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
... You did convince me though that empathy is possibly a hyper-vigilence triggered by trauma, a conditioning to read people's moods, in emergency mode as a defense mechanism. Animals have this instinct. I recall that you suggested it might be that we emit a certain scent when nervous or afraid? That makes a lot of sense. You have taught me to be more logical, believe me, this is a very good thing.
Then we will agree to disagree :lol: Diversity of thought is an excellent thing.
"Diversity of Thought" is no excuse for wrong-thinking.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 11:05 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
... You did convince me though that empathy is possibly a hyper-vigilence triggered by trauma, a conditioning to read people's moods, in emergency mode as a defense mechanism. Animals have this instinct. I recall that you suggested it might be that we emit a certain scent when nervous or afraid? That makes a lot of sense. You have taught me to be more logical, believe me, this is a very good thing.
"Diversity of Thought" is no excuse for wrong-thinking.

:P When one of us is able to prove the other wrong the drinks will be on me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 11:46 am

Teach51 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

"Without realizing the cognition behind the conclusion that we seem to have come to intuitively"

That's a valid point Twilightprincess.

I can give you a good example by relating an experience that happened to me.

My dad was teasing my little cousin about her hair (she’s a redhead), and I thought I could feel her distress and came to the accurate conclusion (I found out weeks later) that she was losing her hair, so I told my dad later that day not to tease her about it.

Reflecting on this later, I realized that I just picked up on several clues that no one else noticed. She never liked being teased, but she seemed more upset than usual. I saw her blink away tears from behind her glasses.

She also had started wearing an inch thick headband everyday that she was never in the habit of wearing before. (It covered her bald spot caused by alopecia so no one could notice her hair loss.)

She was also prone to various health conditions that made it difficult for her body to absorb the vitamins and minerals it needed.

These sorts of things were floating around in my mind with some discomfort which brought me to a conclusion that I thought was intuitive at first.

Being very introverted, I pick up on little details (or clues) that other people miss. No one else noticed that my cousin was so upset by the teasing even though there were several people present.