Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2017, 5:09 pm

For me personally, I have no desire to have kids whatsoever. I don't want that responsibility and I don't see any purpose for me to have children. I knew at 13 that I would never have kids. I still hold that feeling. It is not just kids, I just have no desire to grow up or do adult things. I have no idea what the future holds for me or how I am going to support myself. Plus I wouldn't want to pass down my problems down to someone else. This world is overpopulated with 7 billion people and we have so many problems. I just don't see any benefit to bringing a child into the world. I can't speak for anyone else, but that is how I feel.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

I've considered it, but realistically I'd need both a stable partner (not happening) and a much more grounded day-to-day life. I like children, but I'm very absent-minded, disorganized, and often caught up in doing things. I don't think I'd do well having to watch little ones all the time or with providing them structure.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2017, 5:23 pm

Canary wrote:
I've considered it, but realistically I'd need both a stable partner (not happening) and a much more grounded day-to-day life. I like children, but I'm very absent-minded, disorganized, and often caught up in doing things. I don't think I'd do well having to watch little ones all the time or with providing them structure.

That is exactly how I feel. I am so disorganized, there are a lot of things that I don't know how to do, I have no structure, and I don't have a partner and probably will never have one.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

No desire to spawn a crotch goblin. I'm part of a few pro child-free groups and donate to a child free charity which helps child free old people and suchlike.
My family are prone to post natal depression plus I don't see the point in bringing more life to such a f****d up planet. So many other reasons I could list, but you get the gist.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:32 pm

Lunella wrote:
I'm part of a few pro child-free groups and donate to a child free charity which helps child free old people and suchlike.

That sounds awesome! I'd like to donate to something like that once I have more money.

Quote:
I don't see the point in bringing more life to such a f****d up planet.

Same here; this is why I wouldn't have kids even if I wanted them (I'd adopt).

Like you OP, I decided at a young age (9) to not have kids.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 5:44 pm

Yes, I do. :)

There Are Four Lights!

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

None for me, thanks; I decided that around age 10. Besides the general $#%@ed up state of the world, some of my health problems (physical & mental) are inheritable and I wouldn't wish those on someone who hasn't done me great harm.

GoblinCandy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2017, 6:23 pm

At this point: not really. There's that element of uncertainty when having kids; you never know just how they'll turn out. As a person who is the sibling to a very mentally unstable brother, I'd feel awful to be the parent of someone who hates life, and is so full of negativity and aggression, as my brother is. My brother is, to say the least, a handful. Having to deal with the burden of someone like him can make you not want to breed.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2017, 8:05 pm

Husband and I have been considering it in the next year or two. I just don't want to mess up if we decide to. I hope I could bond properly with my child despite the impairments in social cues and such.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 8:39 am

Currently undecided, but if I decide I do want kids, 2 is my maximum.

Though I worry my age is an impediment.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2017, 2:26 pm

Absolutely not.
MSBKyle, Lunella, starkid, Quiet Water, GoblinCandy: I'm in your camp.

It would be entirely possible under my current circumstances. But on principle, and practically, I have chosen never to do it. I'm highly fortunate to have a partner who completely agrees.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 11:37 am

Hell no, I'm child-free. Plus unable to have children biologically.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2017, 12:29 pm

I never had any epiphany that I didn't want kids but at my age it seems unlikely I'll have any.

At times I feel like there is a void because children seem to give parents a purpose in life. I think children also forces people to be less selfish.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

Like a few others, I would need a stable partner, at lea for younger ones. I think I could handle an older child, and I actually looked into adopting, but my financial situation would need a lot of help, too. I did pray about it and feel like God has given me one who is in Heaven - I wrote a blog here [url]tomychildinheaven.blogspot.com[/url] about/to such a child. 9I hope that "insert URL" linked the words "wrote a blog," can't figure out how to do that for sure.)

You can tell from it that i had expectations that might have been hard to meet, but I've always had a lot of patience, kindness, honesty, and so on that have made parents of kids I work with a church always tell me how much their kids enjoy me. Since I trusted God and started this blog, though, my yearning for kids has stopped. I'm satisfied to feel like I have one safe from all the insanity of this world. And, that fulfills why I really did yearn for it. I realize now that my yearning to have a child was because I expected that I'd just grow up normally like other friends, get married or if not at least have kids, because, well, that's the pattern you usually see.
Now, I feel happy knowing that I don't have to fit the normal pattern to be accepted. In fact, I've got a few friends who are lifelong singles with no kids. And, while I still think I'd do okay with one, and be able to help them through any issues as long as they weren't too serious, and show that unconditional love, I'm just as happy with those plans being different. You can tell be how I update that blog less and less.

rjs_11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm

I've never had a desire to have kids for several reasons: They would consume too much of my free time, distract me from my special interest, and overwhelm me with loud noises, crying, and unpredictability in general.

Xochitl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Feb 2017, 7:42 am

I have always wanted children, although with my ASD diagnosis I cut down on how many I wanted simply because I know that I would not be able to handle more.

I have a 4 year old daughter and have been trying to #2 for around 7 months now. That's my limit. I think the main reason I wanted children was to be the person to them that I never had. My upbringing wasn't the best, so I feel the desire to raise children better than I was. There are far too many ignorant people in this struggling world and maybe I can help to put some interesting foward thinking people into it.