Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2019, 6:26 am

Any adult Aspies raising a grandchild? If so, how well do you feel you cope?

It's easier now, as my granddaughter is nearly twelve. She's experimenting with her independence, I'm fine with that. It was very hard for me when she was younger as I got overstimulated sometimes. I did always manage to remain patient and I'm proud of that. With the increasing number of grandparents raising their grandchildren, I figured some of the grandparents must be Aspies. And I was just looking to connect, share experiences and support.

Thanks!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:40 am

Egad! Never even had a kid, no less a grandchild. And I’m 7 years older than you.

It sounds like you have a healthy attitude towards your grandchild.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 9:00 am

I have 2 children and 5 grandchildren. Both my children are independent. But we do see our grandkids often. I am an Aspie and many would describe me as being eccentric. So generally when I interact with my grandchildren I bring my strange world into theirs. I try and teach them to become fearless and to experiment with new things. I try and open the world before them. And I give them guidance, generally from an adult perspective.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

It's not something I would have chosen to do. But, she needed someone. I will say that in a way it helps me too. I get to think about her needs, instead of just being lost in my own little world all the time. I need responsibility. I set my alarm for 5 am, in time to have coffee and be in a good space when I wake her up for her day. I wake her at 6:20 am, make her lunch. I walk to her bus stop because I'm afraid someone will steal her. I get her from the bus stop in the afternoon, etc... She's much happier here, with us. And I am happy if I can help her be happy and reach her potential.

Thanks for responding guys! I love hearing about you too.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.