Page 137 of 145 [ 2309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 145  Next

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,721
Location: Washington, USA

09 Mar 2011, 5:44 pm

I seem to a lot, people ignore what I say a lot. :P



Twolf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2005
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 395

16 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm

I don't worry about killing threads - I just do. It seems to happen in any forum I participate in. Maybe it's time to stop contributing, because it seems to be a waste of my and others' time. I try to contribute stuff of value, but I guess my communication skills are poor compared to the savvy masses here. Either that or I'm just not suited to any group. I guess I'm just frustrated with my inability to connect on any level. I too have that invisibility issue. I guess it's just how it is for me. Well enough of this, I'll be taking off for now. Glad for the sojourn while it lasted.


_________________
Be yourself because you only get one life.


awkwardmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 9

17 Mar 2011, 1:16 pm

Twolf wrote:
I don't worry about killing threads - I just do. It seems to happen in any forum I participate in. Maybe it's time to stop contributing, because it seems to be a waste of my and others' time. I try to contribute stuff of value, but I guess my communication skills are poor compared to the savvy masses here. Either that or I'm just not suited to any group. I guess I'm just frustrated with my inability to connect on any level. I too have that invisibility issue. I guess it's just how it is for me. Well enough of this, I'll be taking off for now. Glad for the sojourn while it lasted.


Well I'm sorry Twolf, but you are going to have to take a back seat to my thread killing abilities! I do know how you feel re: the masses. I came here looking for a place to feel connected, but only find many of the same "problems" I have outside of WP. I thought this could be a community of individuals - the notion of having to find a group to fit in to makes me feel both saddened and ill simultaneously.

The strange part is that I am undiagnosed officially, and up until this point thought of myself as very high-functioning. The fact that I find myself pulling away from WP leads me to believe that perhaps I have been fooling myself!



Twolf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2005
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 395

17 Mar 2011, 3:24 pm

awkwardmom wrote:
Well I'm sorry Twolf, but you are going to have to take a back seat to my thread killing abilities! I do know how you feel re: the masses. I came here looking for a place to feel connected, but only find many of the same "problems" I have outside of WP. I thought this could be a community of individuals - the notion of having to find a group to fit in to makes me feel both saddened and ill simultaneously.

The strange part is that I am undiagnosed officially, and up until this point thought of myself as very high-functioning. The fact that I find myself pulling away from WP leads me to believe that perhaps I have been fooling myself!


I feel more comforted that I'm not alone. I feel much the same way you do on the fitting in to a group thing, but yet oddly I find myself still trying, I don't know why.

I think I'm in the same boat. I was wondering for the longest time if I'm Asperger's or more along the lines of Autistic, and now I'm beginning to accept the fact that I'm just socially impaired no matter what, and Autistic is the best description.

Well Awkwardmom, thanks for the reply and thanks for sharing.

I still am taking off, possibly permanently from WP and forums in general.


_________________
Be yourself because you only get one life.


Starr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,052

17 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

Hello awkwardmom and Twolf. I understand where you are both coming from. I've always felt 'awkward' here, my com skills are poor especially lately as post so little these days so got out out of practice. I've never understood the undercurrents that go on here and other forums, they seem pointlessly subtle and also incomprehensible...don't really do the group thing, hate anything 'cliquey'.
If you want a 'home' for a little while post here, but if you decide to leave, I wish you well. I sort of think this is a thread for 'outsiders' all who feel at home here are so :)

lemon, hia! I'm glad to hear you are happy in your work! Hope you are managing to find the time to do your art too. I'm still having major back problems which stop me doing much but waiting for an op which hopefully will help. Nice to see you here, threadtending :wink:

Has anyone heard from Thyme? Hope she's Ok :ninja:

dunbots...you say something? :P



hyperbole
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,208
Location: my desk

17 Mar 2011, 9:42 pm

I pretty much talk to myself in the threads.
Sometimes it bugs me, but I'm just not one of the cool kids, so I kill threads.

I'm bored.
I'm over eager.
I'm attention starved.
it puts people off.

~shrugs~


_________________
"Your knowledge of what is going on can only be superficial and relative" ...WS Burroughs


lemon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,113
Location: belgium

18 Mar 2011, 8:57 am

akwardmom and twolf,
I don't share the exact same feeling but I guess that is because I'm not really looking to fit in,
I'm more like very interested in the topics people with autism seem to talk about. If someone replies to what I say or not,
is not a question I ask myself very often. I'm too focused on the subjects itself for that.
Also I don't see 'a reply' as a positive sign towards my person and 'no replies' as a negative sign towards my person,
because I often read incredibly interesting posts on which i do not reply (in order to reply i also have to feel the urge 'to add' something myself to the subject which is not always the case)

I do have the same akward feeling on forums for people without autism though, but that is mainly because their topics don't seem to interest me as much and if i reply people seem to oppose themselves to me very much. Like I was once on a forum for photography and got comments like 'what the hell do you mean with this picture' and that quite often. Or on a forum for highly gifted people and their family (i'm family), and for me they seemed to be arguing all the time, I felt that as something very unpleasant.

hey Starr (i'm a little overworked for the moment) I wish you lots of goods with your operation (will write you if things are a bit calmer)



Twolf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2005
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 395

23 Mar 2011, 1:01 pm

lemon wrote:
I don't share the exact same feeling but I guess that is because I'm not really looking to fit in,
I'm more like very interested in the topics people with autism seem to talk about. If someone replies to what I say or not,
is not a question I ask myself very often. I'm too focused on the subjects itself for that.
Also I don't see 'a reply' as a positive sign towards my person and 'no replies' as a negative sign towards my person,
because I often read incredibly interesting posts on which i do not reply (in order to reply i also have to feel the urge 'to add' something myself to the subject which is not always the case)


I'm not necessarily looking to fit in. I have tried to do the online group thing - doesn't work. Groups don't make sense and are chaotic.

I have an annoying part of me that does want some friends with emphasis on quality. I'm not good at maintaining friendships. I hope I can get over wanting friends as I naturally like spending time on my own and am mostly asocial.

The thing is, no matter what kind of forum I'm in it doesn't matter. I don't relate to anyone.



lemon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,113
Location: belgium

23 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

What does you make trying to participate on a forum? Are you interested to find someone like you?
Or is it because you want to talk about things? (hope it aren't 'bothering' questions)

Me I like the connection of people who have the same issues every day, this connection for me is not necessarily personal,
just reading that someone has lived through the same and makes the same kind of analysis of it afterwards, already makes me feel good.
It's only after 'accidentally' talking to the same person at several occasions that I start noticing there is actually a person behind those words, and then after months or years I get to know some of these people a bit more.
(and I even had the luck to meet some of the people here in person)



Twolf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2005
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 395

25 Mar 2011, 2:56 pm

lemon wrote:
What does you make trying to participate on a forum? Are you interested to find someone like you?
Or is it because you want to talk about things? (hope it aren't 'bothering' questions)

Me I like the connection of people who have the same issues every day, this connection for me is not necessarily personal,
just reading that someone has lived through the same and makes the same kind of analysis of it afterwards, already makes me feel good.
It's only after 'accidentally' talking to the same person at several occasions that I start noticing there is actually a person behind those words, and then after months or years I get to know some of these people a bit more.
(and I even had the luck to meet some of the people here in person)


No, these questions don't bother me. I was trying to find others that I might be able to befriend that have similar outlooks and interests. I feel it's largely a futile search. Sometimes I like talking about things, but I dislike superficial conversations. Most of the time, I'm content to stay on the sidelines.

I see that sometimes it just takes time to get to know people... Thanks for sharing your experiences. : )



lemon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,113
Location: belgium

10 Apr 2011, 7:03 am

Twolf wrote:
lemon wrote:
What does you make trying to participate on a forum? Are you interested to find someone like you?
Or is it because you want to talk about things? (hope it aren't 'bothering' questions)

Me I like the connection of people who have the same issues every day, this connection for me is not necessarily personal,
just reading that someone has lived through the same and makes the same kind of analysis of it afterwards, already makes me feel good.
It's only after 'accidentally' talking to the same person at several occasions that I start noticing there is actually a person behind those words, and then after months or years I get to know some of these people a bit more.
(and I even had the luck to meet some of the people here in person)


No, these questions don't bother me. I was trying to find others that I might be able to befriend that have similar outlooks and interests. I feel it's largely a futile search. Sometimes I like talking about things, but I dislike superficial conversations. Most of the time, I'm content to stay on the sidelines.

I see that sometimes it just takes time to get to know people... Thanks for sharing your experiences. : )


:)



Starlight-Supernova
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 430
Location: England, North West

14 Apr 2011, 9:31 am

It happens because threads lose their edge...

In every other forum it's called the "Last Post" game and the objective is to KILL that thread...

So, being a Thread Killer isn't all that bad if that was the aim but...I can see why people get worried over it.

I only get upset when no-one replied to me in a thread that has one post (generally the OPs).


_________________
"...No matter how people see me as, pariah or paragon, I am but myself." and "I walk the path I walk because it is mine to walk." - Frimelda Lotice (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2)


lemon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,113
Location: belgium

14 Apr 2011, 1:53 pm

No, this thread is not 'the last post'-thread, there is one though (in the 'off the wall'-part I think)

This thread is actually made for expressing yourself how you feel if you feel like a threadkiller (like someone who posts and never gets any replies and so unvoluntarily ends a thread, or doesn't end it but is ignored by everyone)

And so Star and me had this feeling sometimes but at the same time thought it was also quite relative and we shared this with every one who came along here, in the meanwhile we had a lot of fun here too.



Starr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2006
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,052

25 Apr 2011, 6:14 pm

I couldn't have explained it better lemon :D
Still here after almost four years - well, well. Who'd have thought it would last so long.



lemon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,113
Location: belgium

26 Apr 2011, 12:50 pm

Quite some time, isn't it
It also means it's quite a while I've known about autism now, and I'm still glad to have encountered that knowledge!



Billi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 62

28 Apr 2011, 12:14 am

I have killed whole columns of treads before. Once did in the most active list in a forum with no survivors. TMI, inappropriate, off topic, not sure how, but i manage sometimes. I have no fear of killing this one, it's too strong even for me.