single, happily married, unhappily married, divorced?

Page 2 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

What is your long-term relationship status?
Single and expect to remain so 17%  17%  [ 28 ]
Single so far but hoping for relationship 19%  19%  [ 31 ]
In a relationship, and expect to remain so 32%  32%  [ 54 ]
In a relationship but not happy with it 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
In a relationship but partner is not happy with it 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Separated or divorced 18%  18%  [ 30 ]
Other 7%  7%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 167

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 12:50 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Separated but neighbours? That's a bit different... and very interesting.
I can see how that might help with AS issues, as in, having plenty of alone time but also social support.
Would you like to tell us more?

katherine hepburn tartly observed, "since men and women are not so well-suited for each other- maybe they should instead live next door and drop in now and then."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 12:53 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Poll result so far, 73% single including 33% separated or divorced. Thanks for all the replies, and sorry I can't respond immediately - being in Aus I'm asleep or at work during WP peak times. One thing I'm wondering, all of you who have been single for some time, how do you deal with that? I mean, I'm not talking about sexually, just how do you maintain societal connections, and do you have someone you can talk to when you need to unburden yourself of something?

i talk to myself a lot. :nerdy: my only societal connections are to WP and my kinfolk.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2019, 5:46 pm

I ended up getting diagnosed because my marriage was on the rocks and I went to a therapist to try to save it. At first the diagnosis seemed to make things worse - my wife thought it meant I'd never change, and she had some prejudices about autism and started treating me like a child. It was as if we had to get to know each other again and re-negotiate our relationship. But things seem to be getting better now. I've become way more aware of the behaviors I have that had driven us apart and am working hard at improving. She has become more understanding of me as well, and we've been getting closer again.

I am hopeful that we will stay together. This is the only intimate relationship I've ever had and the only person I've ever been in love with.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 7:14 pm

I'm single but, I hope to someday be in a relationship. I'm not unhappy being single it has it's ups and downs. I never been in a romantic relationship so I guess I don't know what I'm missing or how it feel being single post-relationship.

I have a hard time making connections let alone trying to keep one so... I have a therapist who I could talk to when needed but, it's new so I don't feel comfortable expressing that yet. I have a friend I feel comfortable with who I share with but, I wouldn't want her to become an emotional dumpster.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 9:29 pm

My category isn't up there.

I'm single and hoping for a relationship, but expect to remain single.

I don't quite fill the role correctly, even for an aspie guy, I'm not the right kind of peg to fit.

I find it very difficult to make friendship connections let alone something deeper like a romantic connection. I'm always on the surface and on the outside.

How do I cope?

I'm up and down. I have church to keep me in contact with other humans. I went to my pastor because I wasn't coping and he was incredibly understanding. We have never talked about autism, but I know he has an autistic family member, so understands people like me.

I feel like in general us single people are very misunderstood, especially as we get older. Him showing that he understood and wanted to offer support was a huge load off me. It bugs me that old retired guys like that know I'm struggling, but women who should be looking out for us younger women in a congregation setting just assume I'm ok. I'm employed, friendly, polite and presentable, on the surface I look ok, but no one digs deeper.

I get quizzed by my aunt's (My actual family) every time I see them. Have you not met anyone yet?

"Yet".... It's expected, but I think it's a life milestone I can't achieve. I'm not wired correctly. I don't fill the placeholder correctly. My family don't care about marriage, on the whole my family is not religious, but they would just like me to meet someone. Im the only cousin who is still single and never had a boyfriend.

It would take someone equally quirky to accept me, let alone actually love me.

I have a sibling who I am close to. We talk almost everyday. I have 2 or 3 close female friends, but I feel like I have fatigued their compassion on the whole romance issue.

That's why I post here. It doesn't matter if anyone here gets sick of me going on about this thing that is missing in my life. I don't know anyone here.

How do I cope? I get up every day and force myself to work at my job even though I'm empty and exhausted and I go home to an empty house. I go for walks to de-stress.

Last edited by hurtloam on 19 Aug 2019, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Aug 2019, 10:59 pm

I voted for "In a relationship, and expect to remain so". Me & my current girlfriend have been living together 6 & half years now. There are times when I really do have doubts thou cuz we have various issues we're dealing with(including both of us being on the spectrum & other mental & physical issues) & Cass sometimes takes things out on me that have nothing to do with me. I then start wondering if she'll be better off without me or if she's gonna leave me. We both really love each other & both take romantic relationships very seriously & are both loyal to a fault. Plus both our lives would s#ck more without the other so we should stay with each other. We just both believe that the other deserves better.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 2:27 am

Actually, I don't cope. I woke up at 3am last night and didn't get to sleep again till 5am.

I stood in the shower crying this morning as I do most days.

I don't know what about me in so heinous that I'm always overlooked. That even if someone is interested they realise, ah no, she's not actually good enough. She doesn't deserve a chance. I can't stand the thought of sharing my life with that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 2:47 am

:cry:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2019, 4:09 am

In the same relationship for 15 years, I find our relationship healthier than any of us personally.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 4:17 am

In a relationship and expect to remain so. Getting married in a year.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 4:41 am

the socially intelligent/successful here, cannot explain how they do it, as it comes naturally to them and they never have to think about it. it is like expecting a maths genius how he does those calculations so fluently. it is like asking a strongman how he is so strong. they just ARE. not explainable. the only thing that would be explainable is the ABSENCE of such natural gifts.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:22 am

darkwaver wrote:
I am hopeful that we will stay together. This is the only intimate relationship I've ever had and the only person I've ever been in love with.

I hope you can make it work, wishing you luck!

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:25 am

AquaineBay wrote:
I have a friend I feel comfortable with who I share with but, I wouldn't want her to become an emotional dumpster.

I know what you mean. AS doesn't make it easy to know when we are oversharing.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:33 am

hurtloam wrote:
I have 2 or 3 close female friends, but I feel like I have fatigued their compassion on the whole romance issue.

That's why I post here. It doesn't matter if anyone here gets sick of me going on about this thing that is missing in my life. I don't know anyone here.

How do I cope? I get up every day and force myself to work at my job even though I'm empty and exhausted and I go home to an empty house. I go for walks to de-stress.

Although my situation is a bit different, we have similar coping mechanisms. I've got my teenage kids for company, but I don't like to burden them with my issues, so I end up coming onto WP to vent sometimes, or to get a sense of not being alone. (Depending on the responses, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

And, yes, lots of walking!

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:36 am

nick007 wrote:
We both really love each other & both take romantic relationships very seriously & are both loyal to a fault.

I think that will see you through, hope it lasts for you

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 5:49 am

hurtloam wrote:
I don't know what about me in so heinous that I'm always overlooked.

Yeah, AS can be rough sometimes. How to maintain self-esteem when so many reject us?
Hope you look after yourself and seek all the support if you need.
You deserve to be loved and understood.