Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 9:40 am

I really couldn't figure out where to post this and I figured that this folder was the safest bet.

Some people may be familiar that I've been listening to Thinking Ape a lot lately. I do like his stuff and particularly his level of analysis of how certain sociological factors are having negative impacts on both men and women albeit - as a male and what's generally seen as a MGTOW vlogger - he has half of the equation, he can present that (the straight male outside experience) in high fidelity but that marks the limits of what he can speak on with confidence.

I've been wondering if there are any female vloggers out there whom... I really don't know what bucket they'd fit in politally but lets just say that wherever their politics are their interest is deep-diving into existence, on what it's like to be deeply thoughtful, female, and dealing with the garden variety men that they meet on a regular basis (this is where I think any -ists talk past each other, ie. it's most likely high-functioning people thinking of what it's like to deal with the lower functioning part of the opposite gender) or their commentary on what the most striking portions of red tape are, both for them and close friends, what kinds of existential hurdles they're constantly tripping over, what kinds of big picture long term issues about humanity and capitalism have them feeling deeply concerned or even feeling a bit hopeless like as apes we might not be cut out to do better... I think I'm at least sort of painting the picture here but not 100% sure?

The video that got me thinking was the one about the recent changes to Dutch alimony, ie. seven year reduction in January, and the flood of December divorces. I'm realizing that such things simply can't be looked at as indicating that one gender is explicitly mercantile anymore than certain studies of male behavior would suggest that men are only about themselves and sending out swimmers.

I feel like there has to be an equal and opposite and I'd actually put up with them beating up on men just as much if they could at least speak of female experience, the shape of existential dread from that side, etc. with as much color-depth as Thinking Ape speaks for the male side of it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 1:00 pm

That's a really small niche, I can't think of any female vloggers who are what you call "analytical" (I'm guessing you mean people in the alt-light, like the ones who write for Quillette, who don't engage in a lot of SJW emotion-speak) who vlog about modern relationship dynamics. There are a few intellectual video essayists I follow, especially Lindsay Ellis, but they talk about popular culture mostly.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 2:52 pm

The idea that they'd be in the alt-light is a bit worrying.

I guess if I were checking alt-light there's Brittany Pettibone and maybe Christy O Misty fits that, Karen Straughan does in-depth analysis but she's also MRA (sort of in Sargon's zone but not exactly), and obviously if I wanted to go full alt-right there's Tara McCarthy who, in the wake of Charlottesville, I got to hear what kinds of things people like Greg Johnson and Vox Day would debate - very worth knowing and processing at the time to see what the alt-right movement was about at it's more persuasive angles. Then of course there's Lana from Red Ice.

I don't know that I'm necessarily looking for a feminist vlog per say but it's better if it's analytical, probably not 'woke' (as you were pointing out woke and analytical tend to contradict), and sure it's possible she might be a first rather than second or third wave feminist if she is that.

Ty for mentioning Lindsay though, I'll give her a look and see if I get any ideas or launch points.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin