Is being bad at taking care of money a thing in autism, or..

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 10:09 am

BTDT wrote:
Your story illustrates precisely why you were unqualified to be in customer service at a bank. It is more important to be able to keep your cool when interacting with customers than to understand basic principles of money.

Not really: I am very calm and professional at work and this was a rare moment of extreme frustration after trying to do something very simple at the bank and having two different tellers not understand (and the supervisor's condescending attitude to boot). I worked in customer service successfully for 7 years, winning two service awards so I'm not a naïve fool. You sound like my friend who claimed it was my 'bad attitude' that kept me from getting work: I fail to see how you could gleam a bad attitude from a professional written resume and cover letter but I digress.

Besides, I imagine anyone would be frustrated after years of being passed over for completely ridiculous and arbitrary reasons like for example one HR person telling me after during interview that I didn't "look like" someone who would enjoy the line of work I was applying for, even though I am highly experienced, since I don't fit the stereotype of a uneducated grumpy older male. Want to guess who they hired?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 10:16 am

An uneducated, grumpy old male?

I commend you, GHF. I probably wouldn't have made it at all in Sales.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 10:23 am

It may have been a rare moment but if it happens during an interview I doubt anyone would give you a second chance.

But, the point is that social interaction skills are typically required for jobs that involve working directly with customers.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:34 pm

BTDT wrote:
It may have been a rare moment but if it happens during an interview I doubt anyone would give you a second chance.

But, the point is that social interaction skills are typically required for jobs that involve working directly with customers.

That is absolutely a good point and at the risk of derailing the thread would agree that would be the biggest difference in an interview. I once did a group interview and I was literally the one of 2 (of the 8 interviewed) to even acknowledge the receptionist past saying in a gruff voice they were here for the interview: one even stood there with his arms folded and a look of death towards everyone including the receptionist. In short it turns out the "receptionist" was one of the HR people and this was for a $85,000/yr position! As a general rule everyone being interviewed usually has similar experience and knowledge and the little things can make the difference.

To get this topic back on track, I should mention a story where a relative bought a brand new house and SUV even though they knew their temporary work term was ending and had almost no savings. They made the minimum down payment on both and because this person has zero job skills other than customer service (got incredibly lucky with the well paid work term) remains unemployed years later, only doing the occasional side gig because they refuse to apply for a job that pays less than $50,000/yr. Did I mention this person frequently travels the world and goes on cruises?

It doesn't take a genius to know they will NEVER be able to pay off the mortgage and will be in a desperate situation in the coming years. I did the calculations and the relative will owe on their mortgage until they are in their mid 80s!. Did I also mention this relative's health is failing too so even if they landed a full time job they probably wouldn't last long? OP, there is no way you are as bad as this person and they could not, in any way, be considered on the spectrum.

synack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2019, 9:02 am

I am very bad at managing money. The strategy I elaborated is just to win as much as I can so that I should not have any problem. Now with kids I have to be careful even more.

But let's be honest, I suck at it. I don't like money so much, to begin with. I have no formal education so my first jobs were badly paid and horrible, now I have very good positions when I want to work, very well paid, but even after 6 years working in Switzerland (very highly paid, way too much I think) I have absolutely nothing set aside. I use all my money usually, I give a lot to people, family or strangers. I don't own anything, only my computers and books. I don't know where the godamn money went honestly :lol:

I don't like the (false) idea of owning things. I don't know if that's related to autism or totally separate, or in the middle.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 9:17 am

synack wrote:
I don't like the (false) idea of owning things. I don't know if that's related to autism or totally separate, or in the middle.

If there were a fire, and you had five minutes before your home burned down... what would you take?

For me: The living creatures. The computer hard drive would be nice for family pictures, but not required. IDs (physical and virtual) would be good to avoid paperwork, but not required.

In short, I'm not so keen on things either. I'm on the list for a bank safety deposit box and will putting those things I mentioned in there.

synack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2019, 9:25 am

SharonB wrote:
synack wrote:

If there were a fire, and you had five minutes before your home burned down... what would you take?

My daughters if they are here, the rest can burn I'd be happy because I really don't like owning objects. Books I can buy again, pictures and all I have very little and I don't care that much, as memory is here for that purpose.

But I understand the bank deposit thing, and it's a smart thing to do I think. I will consider it.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 12:04 pm

synack wrote:
SharonB wrote:
synack wrote:

My daughters if they are here, the rest can burn I'd be happy because I really don't like owning objects. Books I can buy again, pictures and all I have very little and I don't care that much, as memory is here for that purpose.

But I understand the bank deposit thing, and it's a smart thing to do I think. I will consider it.

Then if you were alone when the fire broke out, you could take along something that's important to your daughters. :heart:

synack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2019, 3:01 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Then if you were alone when the fire broke out, you could take along something that's important to your daughters. :heart:

I already said I would get out the house 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 3:08 pm

Just seems kind of unfair that your husband does not contribute at all to finances, just kind of seems like a cheap excuse if he's doesn't make any money from his music and expects you to support him financially forever...seems he should find some way to help contribute instead of putting it all on you.

Sorry if I am being nosy, but that does seem really unfair.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 10:43 am

I’m not very good at managing money. Of course, I have very little to work with which I’m hoping to remedy...

Sometimes I make impulsive purchases with money. Maybe that’s my ADHD.

I also made especially dumb choices as far as college and student loans go. I’m never going to be able to pay them off unless I can get involved in a discharge program for public service which would make them go away in about ten years.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 5:57 am

SharonB wrote:
I am pathologically frugal,

So have I been for most of my life.
No Scottish ancestery that I am aware of. :wink:

Sweetleaf wrote:
Just seems kind of unfair that your husband does not contribute at all to finances, just kind of seems like a cheap excuse if he's doesn't make any money from his music and expects you to support him financially forever...seems he should find some way to help contribute instead of putting it all on you.

Sorry if I am being nosy, but that does seem really unfair.

Oh, get over yourself. :tongue:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 6:08 am

synack wrote:
I am very bad at managing money. The strategy I elaborated is just to win as much as I can so that I should not have any problem. Now with kids I have to be careful even more.

Ahh.
We have identified the problem,
For you, in any case.
Children are expensive.
Around $250,000 from the glean in you and your partner's eyes until age 18.

I stayed at home,
Invested in investment properties,
Ate $1 worth of food a day for a year to reduce my mortgage,
Essentially didn't have a social life.
Didn't care,
Retired at 50,
Living the life of Pepe,
Best time in my life.

Am I boasting?
No.
Just saying it as it was/is. <shrug>
Social status is a bloody joke. :mrgreen:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 1:18 am

Pepe wrote:
synack wrote:

Ahh.
We have identified the problem,
For you, in any case.
Children are expensive.
Around $250,000 from the glean in you and your partner's eyes until age 18.

I stayed at home,
Invested in investment properties,
Ate $1 worth of food a day for a year to reduce my mortgage,
Essentially didn't have a social life.
Didn't care,
Retired at 50,
Living the life of Pepe,
Best time in my life.

Am I boasting?
No.
Just saying it as it was/is. <shrug>
Social status is a bloody joke. :mrgreen:

250000? You sure that's all, especially in the USA? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 8:59 am

Fireblossom wrote:
250000? You sure that's all, especially in the USA? :mrgreen:

That was about 20 years ago.
Let's just say kids are bloody expensive. :wink:

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2019, 10:24 pm

BTDT wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Kind of OT, but I find it incredibly ironic that I, who concentrated in Microeconomics and Banking in University, could not get even a bank teller job yet a few years back when I was single and looking at investments the teller didn't even know what compound interest was! I feel bad because I had a little blowout and quite loudly said how ridiculous it was that I wasn't considered qualified to work at a bank yet the two tellers didn't understand one of the basic principles of banking. That's like working at McDonalds and not knowing fries are made from potatoes!

Your story illustrates precisely why you were unqualified to be in customer service at a bank. It is more important to be able to keep your cool when interacting with customers than to understand basic principles of money.

He wasn't interacting with customers. He was a customer! And he was interacting with bank employees who should understand the most basic principles of banking. I'd have been extremely annoyed, too.