leaving the country while on SSI? how does this work?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lostguyFL
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2020, 1:46 am

this is just something I'm curious about...

Say there's this guy named Bradley in his 20s who's Autistic and doesn't work and is on SSI/disability and he lives out on the west coast of the USA. he then meets a stranger online who sends him a freight ticket to Japan to visit him, So he leaves to visit the stranger but he's gone for more than 30 days.

will that have any affect on his ssi/disability benefits? i remember reading online that if you leave the country for more than 30 days, that you would loose ur SSI but does that mean you would loose it permanently? even if you plan on coming back?

how does that work? just curious...

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 3:17 pm

Following because I am also curious. My wife gets VA and SSDI benefits, and we’ve discussed the possibility of her going to grad school in Canada.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 3:57 pm

My understanding is, if you leave for more than 30 days your SSI/SSDI is stopped until you return (although I have to assume it would involve an end of the world battle to get it started again). But that you can continue to receive SSI/SSDI in another country for more than 30 days if you are a student there.
I've kind of thought about going to school in Germany. Haven't looked into any of it too hard, though.