Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 7:22 pm

The guy was a famous moonshiner from North Carolina. Listening to his stories, particularly of someone who - in their own right - is of a kind of legendary high achievement and at the same time describing all of the sorts of life problems that we have and having NT answers for them, it both reminds me that so much of what we go through is ubiquitous to the human experience (ie. humans are predatory animals first and foremost, indebted to society second) and that I think what f's our heads up is we're expecting better based on our rather reflexively Platonist principles that we'd like to see in the world but the reflection always comes back crooked.

The other reason I'm enjoying this - it's just great to hear the wisdom of someone who's lived a very different kind of life, sadly he passed in 2009, but it's a bit of a time capsule and some interesting autobiographical bits.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin