for my fellow WPers who feel [or ARE] old and struggling

Page 2 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

who here is old and/or struggling to cope?
i am older and getting infirm. :| 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
i am younger but prematurely aged. :| 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
i am older but good genes/fit :) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
i am younger but fit/no problems :) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my @#$%ing icecream? :chef: 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
wow :) i hope you did not experience too much pain during all that. it is a real hassle when any part of our bodies fails us. in my mind, this is also complicated by a sort of envy when i see people older than me who are in perfect undisturbed health, i wonder to god, "am i chopped liver?"

No, they gave me some wonderful painkillers. OTOH all that noise, interruptions and poking and prodding. I do not think I would have survived without my diagnosis. I had advanced knowledge that these would be particularly bad for me so I could find myself and tried to use whatever free time I had to pursue special interests. WP was a big help in that regard. While I am accepting of my new normal I do really miss the stuff I used to physically be able to do and the freedoms that gave me. One advantage though, when the old “autism is a cancer” or autism is a horrible disease comes up I can say from experience, most definitely not.

the worst thing about what i have is the progressive nature of arthritis and the total lack of concern by docs involved about my presently increasing pain levels, they are too scared of the DEA and overreact by not even considering prescribing me NON-narcotic pain relievers. my next step is to ask about a pain clinic. i can't last too much longer not sleeping due to pain.

Last edited by auntblabby on 23 Apr 2021, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:06 am

MrsPeel wrote:
That would be the one, thank you. Now I see 27 years was only the length of the study, that makes more sense! And in my circles, FFS stands for something a bit different :)

yeh, each new health issue makes me throw up my hands and wail, "FFS, what fresh hell is THIS now?!"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:09 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
Specifically, it said that financial stress in mid-life was correlated to greater pain levels 27 years later 8O
Well, I thought that was weirdly specific - but also wondered if there might be anything in it.

Found the study, but apparently you have to be a paid member of this research publisher to read it,
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/smi.3038
Midlife family financial strain, sense of control and pain in later years: An investigation of rural husbands and wives
Kandauda A. S. Wickrama
Eric T. Klopack
Catherine Walker O'Neal
First published: 09 March 2021
Quote:
Abstract

Research focussing on individual biopsychosocial processes leading to physical pain as a health condition is rare. The present study investigated sense of control as a mechanism linking early midlife stress to later‐life physical pain for husbands and wives in long‐term marriages. Using data from 508 rural husbands and wives over 27 years (1991–2017) with respondents in their early middle years (<42 years on average) in 1991 and in their later years (>67 years on average) in 2017, this study utilized a comprehensive analytical model in an structural equation modelling framework. Family financial stress (FFS) trajectories in early middle years were associated with depleted sense of control, which was related to increased physical pain in later years after controlling for concurrent physical illness, family income and age. In cross‐lagged analyses FFS influenced physical pain over mid‐later years. Physical pain also influenced FFS, suggesting a bi‐directional association between FFS and physical pain. Findings elucidate how early midlife FFS influences the progression of physical pain over mid‐later years through sense of control. Findings suggest effective intervention and prevention programs should focus on FFS in early years of adulthood as well as the maintenance and development of adults' sense of control.

what they left out was that it is the lack of affordable QUALITY health care in old age which follows financial weakness i middle age.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:07 am

I know I've been moaning about this in other threads, but I came down with Long-Haul COVID early last year, and I feel like it's aged me 20-30 years. I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm seriously thinking about getting a cane.

Before that, I've had Sjogren's Syndrome for most of my life, but for the most part, I could deal with it (although ten-hour work days seriously killed me). But I don't know what it's like to not have SJS, so I can't really make a fair comparison.

And it's funny, it seems like it was only a couple of years ago, I was thinking to myself how my health was in the best shape that it's ever been. Between diets and exercise, I had built up quite a bit of muscle and stamina, I was wearing skinny shorts, and showing off my "thigh gap" to my female friends (they did not appreciate how short my shorts were).

Just the other day, we were having a heat wave, so I finally gave in and bought shorts that are four inches wider, so I can actually button them up. I have never been this heavy before. A lot of Long Haulers are losing lots of weight, some are packing it on...I got the wrong end of the coin flip.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:18 am

when i got it last year, i guess it was merciful with me, i was sick for about a week, malaise for another week. then it was finished with me at least for then. but my hip problems aggravated my back problems and are radiating to other overworked body parts pulling up the slack, caused my stress levels/cortisol to increase, that combo causes weight gain even absent enforced inactivity. :oops:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:56 am

COVID itself was very mild for me, I thought maybe it was just a cold. Mostly, I just had a really bad fever for about a week, and I slept it off. A month or so later, all these other symptoms started popping up, including pneumonia...then maybe another month after that, the articles about long haulers started pouring in, and everything started to add up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:57 am

i wonder if it is just genes that separate the long haulers from everybody else?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:05 am

They're not sure. Some think it might be due to leaky gut or other gut issues, some think it might be re-activation of previous viral infections (like EBV), some think it might be due to auto-immune issues, some think it might be COVID viral persistence and/or the virus breaking the blood/brain barrier, some think it might be due to certain deficiencies in the body, or all of the above?

Last I heard, they found GABA markers or something they can check to see if one is at risk or not.

But right now, it feels like research is at a standstill, I haven't seen any NEW news about it in months. Everything is either "I tried this drug/supplement at this dosage and I felt a lot better...for four days." or it's two-hour long YouTube video interviews with doctors, and I really don't have the time or patience to watch.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:46 am

i wonder if being on the spectrum is a factor?

Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 5:14 am

Any advice for the road ahead for us youngsters (mid-30s) who are physically fit but are wary of the decades to come? What do you think would've had the most positive effect on your current state? Exercise? Diet? Friends? Money? Regular checkups? Anything else?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 6:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I developed a chronic illness when I was in my 40s. It came with a lot of pain. The kind where I would lie in bed crying because everything hurt too much, even when not moving. I was unable to work for many years. So, I started "aging" early and have never been as fit and healthy as I was then. Now, at 67, I have to look at my life squarely and realize that I am never, ever going to be fit again. I will never take another long remote canoe trip. I'll never dance all night again. I won't even ever again be able to walk long distances or jog. My world is shrinking and some days I am fine with it. Other days it is difficult to face. I don't have as much pain as I did before. I have an array of pills, exercises, meditation, that keeps things more or less on an even keel. But there are definitely limits. I can see the horizon.

i am really glad you have figured out a way to cope with your pain. as for the horizon, i look eagerly forward to reaching and transcending it permanently :star:

Yes, I hear that in you. While I definitely do not want one of my favorite people to disappear from this realm, I understand the feeling. I wish you had a partner or a friend living close by who could help you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 9:07 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I developed a chronic illness when I was in my 40s. It came with a lot of pain. The kind where I would lie in bed crying because everything hurt too much, even when not moving. I was unable to work for many years. So, I started "aging" early and have never been as fit and healthy as I was then. Now, at 67, I have to look at my life squarely and realize that I am never, ever going to be fit again. I will never take another long remote canoe trip. I'll never dance all night again. I won't even ever again be able to walk long distances or jog. My world is shrinking and some days I am fine with it. Other days it is difficult to face. I don't have as much pain as I did before. I have an array of pills, exercises, meditation, that keeps things more or less on an even keel. But there are definitely limits. I can see the horizon.

i am really glad you have figured out a way to cope with your pain. as for the horizon, i look eagerly forward to reaching and transcending it permanently :star:

Yes, I hear that in you. While I definitely do not want one of my favorite people to disappear from this realm, I understand the feeling. I wish you had a partner or a friend living close by who could help you.

thank you for caring :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 9:14 am

1986 wrote:
Any advice for the road ahead for us youngsters (mid-30s) who are physically fit but are wary of the decades to come? What do you think would've had the most positive effect on your current state? Exercise? Diet? Friends? Money? Regular checkups? Anything else?

get at least one head to toe physical checkup every year. if you have unequal leg length consider lifts in the shorter leg, that will likely save you from what i have [shot back and hips]. avoid smoking and alky and junk food like the plagues they are. burn the midnight oil while you are young and rugged to get that key college degree that will grant you permanent entrance to the middle-class [what there is left of it here anyways]. take acting classes, learn to network, key part of networking is forcing yourself to be there for others. spend much less time on things like video games. take martial arts which will have the side benefit of teaching you graceful fluid movement to reduce wear and tear on the body. learn one key non-work skill which will enrich your life and give you cognitive reserve in old age, such as learning to really play the guitar or becoming fluent in other languages. do this all while you are as young as possible. resist mightily the urge to just be a bump on a log, no matter how good that feels, there will be time enough to rest when you are in heaven. just the same, NEVER skimp on sleep as your body needs to recharge just as much as that blasted smart phone of yours.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:26 am

First, I'll tip my hat and give hugs to auntblabby and everyone else who contributed here. Ageing definitely sucks and there's no two ways about it. I hesitated to respond because in comparison with others, I'm doing OK. I really can't complain although my last twenty years have been hard physically, mentally, and emotionally.

In my 30s I experienced ongoing, violent trauma which had catastrophic results on my body. I required years of reconstructive surgery, revision surgeries, and the removal of five internal organs. I was allergic to some of the products used in my surgery and my body rejected them, which led to vasculitis, months with waist-to-toe petechiae and purpura (don't google on a weak stomach), and later a cerebellar infarction (stroke) caused by a blood clot. The stroke at age 46 required a year of full-time stroke rehabilitation with Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Vestibular Rehabilitation for balance, and Speech-Language Pathology. For the first year I required a walker with wheels (called a rollator), and then I graduated to a cane. The stroke also left me with severe Diplopia (double vision) so I lost my driving licence for four years. My daughter was away at school and not driving yet so I was alone with no transportation and needed to use Uber for every outing for the better part of four years, including everything from buying milk to bringing home bags full of groceries and carrying them from the Uber with my walker. Uber was ridiculously expensive so I was happy to stay home as much as possible. I did try the wheelchair taxis and accessible bus services but because of my general anxiety, scopophobia, sensory overload, and practical / scheduling reasons I've described in other posts, it wasn't a good fit for me.

As a direct result of the stroke I have high blood pressure and I require three different types of BP meds, as well as an anticoagulant blood thinner, and cholesterol medication to keep me from clotting. I take anti-nightmare medication for my trauma, and it also reduces blood pressure, so technically I take four BP meds. Then an SSRI for PTSD, and ADHD meds for my racing thoughts and hyperarousal, which are also intensified by traumatic flashbacks.

In December 2020 I suffered a second stroke although thankfully, it was much milder. This happened because of a serious and painful bladder and kidney problem which caused my BP to spike, requiring surgery in January 2021. I still have kidney disease because of that situation, and just recently developed a kidney infection last weekend.

My eyesight is horrible but I lost my very expensive glasses at Easter and can't get a new pair until September. I can read computers using old glasses, a lit screen and zoom features, but I can't read books until I get my new glasses. You can only imagine how traumatic that is for me.

What else. Hmmm. I have some arthritis in my right hip. I was born with a heart defect and that causes me to suffer a lot of migraines with aura. It's something about the blood flow? There's a connection but I can't remember how it works. I also have bilateral, 24/7 tinnitus which I can even hear in my dreams. It's likely from my blood pressure, which is the result of my stroke, which is the result of trauma. It's caused a ripple effect through so many areas of my life. My nerves are shot, and I have a very difficult time leaving the safety of home because of my hypersensitivities to sensory input, in particular sunlight and common sounds (misophonia and hyperacusis). If I can stay in my house or a familiar sensory-safe indoor environment like my boyfriend's house, I'm fine. But I'm legally restricted from seeing him at all, indoors or out, because of lockdown.

Overall I think my health is quite good. It's not like I degenerated into this from age. It's all the result of trauma. If I hadn't experienced what I did in my 30s, I have every reason to believe I'd be in very good health today.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i wonder if being on the spectrum is a factor?

Doesn't seem like it. I thought maybe there might be a slight connection, just because so many on the spectrum have gut issues, but it looks like I'm the only person on the board that has it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 11:00 pm

I have arthritis in my left knee but a pea green lime ice cream cone helps to keep my mind off it.