for my fellow WPers who feel [or ARE] old and struggling

Page 4 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

who here is old and/or struggling to cope?
i am older and getting infirm. :| 30%  30%  [ 11 ]
i am younger but prematurely aged. :| 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
i am older but good genes/fit :) 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
i am younger but fit/no problems :) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my @#$%ing icecream? :chef: 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 37

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:13 am

GardenSong wrote:
67, recently determined on the spectrum. Love knowing I am not a freak of nature but rather a multi-faceted wonderful person with many talents and it is ok to be me.
Trigeminal and Occipital Neuralgias, Migraines, Small Fiber neuropathy, Fibromyalgia--probably from camoflauging my whole life. Now to be who I am.
MSEd, former teacher.
You should see my collection of Bernie Sanders memes on my phone. :D

you are in the right place right here :)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:24 am

Feeling a bit despondent and not really bouncing back much. I fell a couple times getting onto my mobility scooter for a bathroom trip in the night, so I decided I really should switch to my power chair. But I hate that power chair! It bumps into my walls and furniture more than the scooter ever did. I gave up (for the time being, anyway) on my Noom diet. I'm not sure I can handle taking myself and my husband to the pool any more for warm water exercise. Husband's dementia is progressing, he was plateaued for quite a while but now is unable to handle most ordinary household tasks, leaving that for me to take on. (Housekeeper has a couple weeks off for surgery, but that's minor.) His physical condition continues to deteriorate, I've relied on him to load my scooter into the trunk but he has a lot of pain problems that are getting worse. As for transporting the powered chair, impossible - I drive a Honda Civic and it's way too big and too heavy. So I'm looking at changing to a wheelchair van, but those are really expensive.

It all seems too much sometimes. What concerns me is I feel beaten down. Not so much depressed, as discouraged.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:53 am

Bea,
My problem-solving brain went into overdrive trying to think of solutions, but I want you to know I care. It must be very frustrating and upsetting to have so many stressors which seem to get worse over time.

I'm sorry it's been so difficult lately.

:(

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 1:27 pm

Awww, Isabella. You are truly sweet. I figured this thread was tailor-made for me... "old and struggling."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 1:51 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Awww, Isabella. You are truly sweet. I figured this thread was tailor-made for me... "old and struggling."

First thought (since I'm a problem-solver) -- Would it be feasible to give free room and board to a student who's studying nursing, or support work? Even for a semester? They often need volunteer hours or experience for their CV.

I know you have an aide occasionally but ...

just a totally random thought.

I don't know if that's sustainable or even practical, but you must feel very lonely sometimes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:07 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Feeling a bit despondent and not really bouncing back much. I fell a couple times getting onto my mobility scooter for a bathroom trip in the night, so I decided I really should switch to my power chair. But I hate that power chair! It bumps into my walls and furniture more than the scooter ever did. I gave up (for the time being, anyway) on my Noom diet. I'm not sure I can handle taking myself and my husband to the pool any more for warm water exercise. Husband's dementia is progressing, he was plateaued for quite a while but now is unable to handle most ordinary household tasks, leaving that for me to take on. (Housekeeper has a couple weeks off for surgery, but that's minor.) His physical condition continues to deteriorate, I've relied on him to load my scooter into the trunk but he has a lot of pain problems that are getting worse. As for transporting the powered chair, impossible - I drive a Honda Civic and it's way too big and too heavy. So I'm looking at changing to a wheelchair van, but those are really expensive.

It all seems too much sometimes. What concerns me is I feel beaten down. Not so much depressed, as discouraged.

Sorry

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:42 pm

With chemo (physical) and ECT (mental), I basically got to age early :roll: Plus a genetic predisposition to bad joints (usually my hips that are the biggest issue, but my left knee does not like to stay in one position for too long). It’s an achievement if I can stand for the entire duration of a shower (I ended up getting a shower chair so I don’t have to either stand or get in and out of the bathtub) or not use walking assistance when taking the dog out. But at least I can make it to the bathroom without having to sit down because I start graying out halfway there like I did before the lymphoma was treated.

And then my autism and related stuff means I’m still essentially a child in other ways, so maybe it balances out. Yay?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 5:20 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Feeling a bit despondent and not really bouncing back much. I fell a couple times getting onto my mobility scooter for a bathroom trip in the night, so I decided I really should switch to my power chair. But I hate that power chair! It bumps into my walls and furniture more than the scooter ever did. I gave up (for the time being, anyway) on my Noom diet. I'm not sure I can handle taking myself and my husband to the pool any more for warm water exercise. Husband's dementia is progressing, he was plateaued for quite a while but now is unable to handle most ordinary household tasks, leaving that for me to take on. (Housekeeper has a couple weeks off for surgery, but that's minor.) His physical condition continues to deteriorate, I've relied on him to load my scooter into the trunk but he has a lot of pain problems that are getting worse. As for transporting the powered chair, impossible - I drive a Honda Civic and it's way too big and too heavy. So I'm looking at changing to a wheelchair van, but those are really expensive. It all seems too much sometimes. What concerns me is I feel beaten down. Not so much depressed, as discouraged.

i saw a "suitcase" scooter at wally world the other day, it literally folds up into a suitcase sized thing with a handle on it that the guy took out of his trunk. didn't seem that heavy from the looks of the little old man who hefted it. i priced some of those out and they are somewhat steep [price between $1600 and $3500], i'd search for a used one.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

First thought (since I'm a problem-solver) -- Would it be feasible to give free room and board to a student who's studying nursing, or support work? Even for a semester? They often need volunteer hours or experience for their CV.

I know you have an aide occasionally but ...

just a totally random thought.

I don't know if that's sustainable or even practical, but you must feel very lonely sometimes.

No room for that. If my husband goes into assisted living, then I might have someone trade rent for housekeeping and odd jobs. But that's down the road.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
Feeling a bit despondent and not really bouncing back much. I fell a couple times getting onto my mobility scooter for a bathroom trip in the night, so I decided I really should switch to my power chair. But I hate that power chair! It bumps into my walls and furniture more than the scooter ever did. I gave up (for the time being, anyway) on my Noom diet. I'm not sure I can handle taking myself and my husband to the pool any more for warm water exercise. Husband's dementia is progressing, he was plateaued for quite a while but now is unable to handle most ordinary household tasks, leaving that for me to take on. (Housekeeper has a couple weeks off for surgery, but that's minor.) His physical condition continues to deteriorate, I've relied on him to load my scooter into the trunk but he has a lot of pain problems that are getting worse. As for transporting the powered chair, impossible - I drive a Honda Civic and it's way too big and too heavy. So I'm looking at changing to a wheelchair van, but those are really expensive. It all seems too much sometimes. What concerns me is I feel beaten down. Not so much depressed, as discouraged.

i saw a "suitcase" scooter at wally world the other day, it literally folds up into a suitcase sized thing with a handle on it that the guy took out of his trunk. didn't seem that heavy from the looks of the little old man who hefted it. i priced some of those out and they are somewhat steep [price between $1600 and $3500], i'd search for a used one.

That's a possibility. I am almost paid off on this car which still has a lot of life in it, I'd love to keep it longer. I'll look into that. Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, the ones I see are 55 pounds or so total weight. My current unit breaks down into 4 pieces, the heaviest of them under 30 pounds. I couldn't handle 55 pounds and wouldn't ask my husband to. Heck, we buy softener salt in the 25 pound size because 40 pounds is too heavy! Thanks anyway.

Last edited by BeaArthur on 31 May 2021, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 9:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sorry

Thanks, ASPartOfMe. Good to hear from you.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 3:07 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sorry

Thanks, ASPartOfMe. Good to hear from you.

Same with you but I wish it was under better circumstances.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 3:51 pm

Bea, I seem to recall you were in the armed forces of some sort? There are grants for veterans to get wheelchair vans.
https://www.unitedaccess.com/veteran-resources/

The other thing to look out for, if you can get an in with a hospice or assisted living facility. When one person can no longer use such as van, they may be interested in a quick and less expensive sale.

Finally, there are wheel chair lifts that can be mounted on the back of a car. You can strap the wheelchair onto the lift. That wouldn't work in snow or rain, unless you had a cover, but it is a less expensive way to get the wheelchair to wherever it is you need to go.

You also might consider a bedside commode instead of trying to get to the bathroom. Lots of downsides, I know. Just a thought.

Good luck.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

Thank you, blazingstar. It's my husband, not I, who served. The grant program is for veterans with a 100% service related disability, which does not apply in our case. Nor should it, because those with greater need should come first.

I have looked at all the devices and options for wheelchair transport, and continue to do so. It's too big a decision, but I chip away at it. It reminds me of the overwhelming number of choices and decisions facing me when I retired.

Since I sleep in the living room, I'm not interested in a bedside commode! Not YET anyway. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I get the most support from my dementia caregivers support group, because those folks know the types of changes in family life that confront me. Just like autism forums understand some of the experiences I have related to autism.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 10:57 am

Update: it's not always awful. Yesterday husband had a lot of shoulder pain, so I rubbed Voltaren gel into it for him, got a heating pad set up, gave him several naps, and he was feeling better by bedtime. This morning I flirted with him, told him he looked good, and made him pancakes with fresh strawberries. I'm actually using skills from my waitress jobs at age 16-21, to time the food to come out hot at the same time, bring multiple beverages in one trip, and offering him a coffee refill before he had the need to ask for it. And doing it all cheerfully. The cheerful part is important - it takes some of the bitter sting away that he's losing his smarts and his independence and can't reverse that. For helping him with his outlook, I use some of my past therapist skills. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2021, 7:52 pm

^^^your hub is SO LUCKY he has YOU. :queen: