Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 8:20 pm

knowing how i am... i can kinda keep up with a variety of conversations... face to face... but i find that i tend to cross some unmarked lines and touch on tabboo topics or over/underemphasize some topics innapropriately...

for example... i know i tend to talk about money innapropriately... be it my lack there of (where im labeling that approach as "pity-party")... or... well i can't exaclty think atm... but i know that this is just a topic that somehow manifests itself abnormally into my social life... along with other things... such as my humor. i know when i try to make a joke, it's generally not well received...

just curious if there are any kind of conversational topics that you personally try to control your "diarrheae of the mouth"

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2007, 8:36 pm

I started talking to my commander about changing residency to Florida so I don't have to pay income taxes during my military career...I know this is commonly done in the military but it got quiet and I later found out this is one of those things that people do but don't talk about.

BTW, Modest Mouse is awesome

sounded
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2007, 9:01 pm

I often talk complete nonsense and tell inappropriate jokes - offending people while doing it. The strange thing is that I know I'm saying something wrong but have to concentrate really hard in order to shut up.

I think it's:

A) Some complex form of Tourette's.

B) People generally want others to make fools of themselves - I pick up on that and do it.
or
C) I've had so many embarrassing situations in my life that I expect to be embarrassed so I make sure of it.

It's probably none of these but being drunk and/or stoned makes it nearly impossible to control it. That's why I'm sober these days.

"Then I'd be a damned fool to think any different."

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:31 pm

Politics and religion are two things I seldom talk about. Everyone has such strong opinions about those two subjects. I try to stay with innocuous subjects until I know a person.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:33 pm

As a nurse, I forget that some people don't like it when you talk about things like the fattest woman I've inserted a Foley catheter in, especially at dinner or cocktail parties. I still do it - can never remember it's inappropriate.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2007, 9:43 pm

I think I'm fairly polite and respectful,so why shouldn't people talk matter-of-factly and dispassionately about sex,drugs,religion,politics,art,biology?Well,I've leaned to keep my mouth shut,because I don't know how to gauge other peoples' "taboos",and I don't know how to navigate a suddenly emotionally heightened conversation(especially when the emotions are pointed at me!).I think it's the "matter-of-factly" and "dispassionately" that really make people uncomfortable.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2007, 9:55 pm

Yeah I'm starting to realize that people don't want me to keep talking about how I'm broke all the time. They get uncomfortable or something, or think I'm looking for pity. I'm not, I'm kind of just thinking out loud.

willem
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:58 pm

From http://bcsdesign.com/comedyzone/poop.shtml:

THE POOPIE LIST

GHOST POOPIE:
You feel it come out, but there's no poopie in the toilet!

CLEAN POOPIE:
The poopie comes out and you see it in the toilet, but there is nothing on the toilet paper! Also see UPPER-CLASS POOPIE.

WET POOPIE:
Even after wiping your butt 50 times, it still feels unwiped. You end up putting some toilet paper between your butt and your underwear, so you don't get a nasty poopie stain.

SECOND WAVE POOPIE:
Happens when you stand up after poopie-ing and start to pull your pants up. You suddenly realize that you have to poopie some more.

"POP A VEIN IN YOUR FOREHEAD" POOPIE:
A poopie that causes you to strain so much, you practically have a stroke.

LINCOLN LOG POOPIE:
The poopie is so big, you're afraid to flush without first breaking it up into little pieces with the toilet brush.

GASSY POOPIE:
So noisy, everyone within earshot starts giggling.

DRINKER POOPIE:
Occurs after a long night of drinking. Most noticeable trait is the skidmarks in the toilet bowl.

CORN POOPIE:
Self explanatory.

NUT POOPIE:
Self explanatory.

"GEE, I WISH I COULD POOPIE" POOPIE:
You'd really like to poopie, but all you do is siton the toilet and fart a few times. Refer to WET POOPIE should you take Ex-Lax® to alleviate the problem.

SPINAL TAP POOPIE:
A poopie that hurts so much on the way out, you'd swear it was leaving you sideways!

WET CHEEKS POOPIE:
A poopie that comes out so fast, your butt cheeks get splashed with toilet water. Also referred to as a Power Dump.

LIQUID POOPIE:
Characterized by a yellowish-brown liquid that shoots out your butt andsplashes all over the toilet bowel. Also see MEXICAN POOPIE.

UPPER-CLASS POOPIE:
Leaves no odor and may also have the characteristics of a CLEAN POOPIE.

SURPRISE POOPIE:
You're not near the toilet and think you are just going to fart ... but oops! ... it's a poopie!!

THE DANGLING POOPIE:
A tough poopie that refuses to drop into the toilet, even though you are done poopie-ing it. You just hope that a shake or two will cut it loose. Also referred to as a Klingon.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:02 pm

methinks wrote:
I think I'm fairly polite and respectful,so why shouldn't people talk matter-of-factly and dispassionately about sex,drugs,religion,politics,

Most people don't like to discuss these topics and it is considered rude to do so when you first meet a person. These are passionate topics for most people so talking about them dispassionately would make you seem weird.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2007, 10:11 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
methinks wrote:
I think I'm fairly polite and respectful,so why shouldn't people talk matter-of-factly and dispassionately about sex,drugs,religion,politics,

Most people don't like to discuss these topics and it is considered rude to do so when you first meet a person. These are passionate topics for most people so talking about them dispassionately would make you seem weird.

No,no..I meant people I know well,who may intiate a topic coyly,and then I may try to steer the talk towards friendly and matter-of-factly(facts,headlines,etc.,because I'm not good at coy and innuendo).I wouldn't talk about any of those things with strangers and,as I said,I've learned to just let others lead the conversation as they are comfortable.There are books for "matter-of-fact".

Last edited by methinks on 06 May 2007, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:21 pm

Sedaka wrote:
knowing how i am... i can kinda keep up with a variety of conversations... face to face... but i find that i tend to cross some unmarked lines and touch on tabboo topics or over/underemphasize some topics innapropriately...

for example... i know i tend to talk about money innapropriately... be it my lack there of (where im labeling that approach as "pity-party")... ... try to control your "diarrheae of the mouth"

I have the opposing ... constipation of the mouth (although I am better than I was).

Being an accountant, I am not worried about talk of money, except if someone big notes themselves I just think they are a richard cranium.

I would think being a student, its socially ok to talk about it being tough financially (so long as its not overdone) but probably depends on what circles you are in.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:32 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Being an accountant, I am not worried about talk of money, except if someone big notes themselves I just think they are a richard cranium.

thinking to self
(humm. . .richard cranium. . .Rick cranium. . Richie Cranium. . Dick cranium, yeah,
dick is probably something here. . and cranium is what holds the brain, and has hair on the other side. . head. . oh, OK, I get it.

Merle

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 10:56 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:

thinking to self
(humm. . .richard cranium. . .Rick cranium. . Richie Cranium. . Dick cranium, yeah,
dick is probably something here. . and cranium is what holds the brain, and has hair on the other side. . head. . oh, OK, I get it.

Merle

For a people that don't speak English, you Americans cope quite well.

Maybe I should have said "merchant banker".

tell me if you need help to work that out - lol

(hint: Cockneyrebel is "me old china ..." )

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:08 am

^^
Yes, please.
I'm too literal.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:17 am

i always say im tired too... and it's cause i am... and i know it won't be good to interact with people...

but i always catch myelf saying like i'm actually trying to keep them from even wanting to talk to me...

and i wonder why they stop after a while

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:18 am

Cockney ryhming slang ...

Cockneyrebel is me old china plate - rymes with mate. She is "me mate" (friend).

Merchant Banker, ryhmes with wanker.