Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

From the British press. I like the slogan of the appeal. But do old autistic people really exist? Or they are here (everywhere, certainly non only in the UK) only a matter for the offices of vital statistics?

This is the appeal "I exist!" by the NAS (National Autistic Society of UK) which follows the launch of a new report from the NAS which reveals for the first time the daily reality for many thousands of adults with the condition.
"Many face a lack of recognition and understanding, a lack of suitable services and a lack of support, all of which can have a huge impact on individuals ("and their families": but how many of them have families, if not in the sheer sense of "the next of kin" for the bureaucracy and the police in case of accident or fatality?).
Based on the largest ever UK survey on the experiences of adults with autism and their families, the report, called "I Exist", reveals a devastating lack of services, with nearly two thirds (63%) of adults with autism in England not having enough support to meet their needs.
Ann Griffin of the NAS said: "Autism is a lifelong condition that affects adults as well as children, yet many adults with the condition struggle to access their desperate needs and feel isolated and ignored."

Last edited by paolo on 04 Feb 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 3:18 pm

that was needed. thankyou NAS. I'm going to go fill out my form to run 10k for them right this second :D

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:13 pm

I will b goin 2 da i exist ting 2moro as i will b havin a photoshoot wid other ppl who r on da spectrum plus wid jane asher aswell.

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 8:18 am

The problem for people “in the spectrum” is not mainly of economic survival It may also be that. In which case, where they are not protected by social welfare, they can be desperate (and generally in western states there is no official recognition of Asperger as a sickness, so, in fact they are not protected). But then there is the problem of the tremendous effort that they must exert to meet all little and big necessities of practical life, rent a flat, buy needy commodities, ask for a visit with a physician if they have a flue or a pneumonia or an eye or bladder ailment, or any other physical dysfunction.