Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

patenta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2008, 10:15 pm

Moved to College and Student Life forum

If a mod could delete this thread that would be great, thanks.

Last edited by patenta on 10 Feb 2008, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 10:27 pm

patenta wrote:
Lastly, for those forum members who completed college/university, what resources, etc, were especially helpful in getting you to STAY in school and not drop out?

To me: having friends.

welcome to WP :)

Nikki88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm

For me, (and to be fair I'm only in my second semester of my freshman year), it's all in the routine. Seriously. I go to a college that's abotu an hour aaway from my home, stay there during the week, and go home every single weekend. It helps that I have a single room and plenty of free time to devote to destressing and my obsessions.

It also helps that I'm living in the honors dorm, which is a designated "quiet" dorm; i.e., no loud noises after midnight, people, music, or otherwise. Um. .. . the fact that I can take classes that tie directly into my obsessions helps, and the ability to balance lecture courses with online courses is good, too. It gives me more control because I can decide when to do the work involved in the online courses and such.

The other important facet of my adapting to college life is actually the format of the dorm life itself - I'm in close quarters with about nine to ten other people for a good portion of the year, but not so close that I can't have my alone time. Thus I can take my own sweet time about developing friendships and such, and have the distance I need to rebalance myself.

A personal thing that has aided me if my faith, and I know that for a lot of Aspies this doesn't apply, so this is purely me. It's one of the steadiest things in my life; no matter what it never changes and is always there and the same as its always been. This, for me, is the reason why I've handled college so well thus far.

Secondary to this would be my mom - I didn't get diagnosed until a bit over a year ago, but since I was a small child she pushed me into not letting fear get the better of me; she's there to push me when I need it and supports me when I fall back into more childish habits. Since I got diagnosed she's learned even more of what buttons to push to get me to calm down when I'm panicking and to take a step back in order to regroup.

It helps that she's always reminding me to check when my assignments are due. ;)

I hope that was helpful. (Just so you know for your study, and stuff, I'm female and nineteen.)

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 11:52 pm

I go to a private liberal arts school in the Pacific Northwest (in Washington to be more specific), and, in my opinion, it's a really awesome school. Anyways, I'm currently a freshman in my second semester (on J-term break actually), and one thing that definitely has been helping me transition are my friends. Amazingly enough, I have a few close friends that I met on the cross country team. Being on the cross country team also makes it nice because it allows me to be a part of a group and to be able to displace some of my stress through running (almost like a study break). I also do track, but I made my friends mainly through cross country. I say that being part of a club or sport helps someone with AS be able to be around people that have some of the same interests as they do and to be able to know people around campus. It makes life much better than having almost nothing to do besides just homework and eating. Another thing is to have at least a couple people (aside from professors) know about AS. That in itself has been helpful so that my friends don't think that I act weird on some social aspects for no reason, but it gives an explanation as to why I may not know some social rules. I really like that a close friend of mine knows about me having AS because it gives me a chance to talk to someone about it and ask for advice so that I could act differently next time, or know that other people probably won't think it's weird to do 'x'. Another really awesome thing at my school is the Disability Support Services Center. I really like that I can take exams in another room where I'm not nearly as distracted so that I could focus more on exams, plus have extra time if I need to. One other thing, though, that I wish that some colleges had was a support group for those with AS, or other autistic spectrum disorders, so that people can talk about it and share experiences that they've had while growing up with it. Unfortunately there are problems trying to establish a group like this because there are confidentiality rules. I do wish that the people who worked at these Disability Support Services Centers at some schools could ask people if they wanted to be a part of such a group so that it would be under the individual's own choice and no one breaks any laws. That's just my opinion, but I really think that it could help some individuals who haven't met a lot of people with AS. It would be funny/weird asking people in the cafeteria if they had AS, so maybe a small group like this at a college or university could help relieve stress for some individuals. Anyways, hope this helps.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 4:00 am

Ok, that's two I've tossed in about 4 hours worth of work. You guys better give me a f*****g A, even if it doesn't mean s**t to you. Let me see if I can get this rolling a bit better.

I would reword your questions and wants a little different.

There is a backlash happening here, if you don't know it. There are a lot of do gooders out there and I would venture the guess that it is perceived here as not a good thing. Yeah there are positive things as well, but lets see if we can do a bit better rephrasing what i think you're asking. I don't do grad work any more so get your team together and figure it out. And I was never a grad student, but believe me I used the scenario to my advantage. You guys are so damn predictable it isn't funny, err yes it is. :roll: :wink:

I'm the example.....

I am not a college student, but was, 3 times. I haven't forgot that much of the hurtful experience. Ok, I'm not the only one here. High school is still my one recurring nightmare and it was those that sauntered in saying they were going to teach me that hurt the most, no taunting from the bullys, I had hiding skills. I learned them very early.

I'm freakin old and you posted this request in a section that tends to be out of the college life style. Not all, but a bunch of us.

We have comorbids, little friends that come along for the ride. It isn't as much aspie that causes us the problems, it can be the comobids. Different people here have different takes on that. No two of us the same nor are the things that come along for the ride. It can get complex. You're asking for something that isn't as easy as just being aspie.

I did not get a degree but worked in a field where the PHD's and Masters level was normal and almost all had college degree's and I was a big exception. How'd I do it? Might not matter to you, but it was way more comfortable for me to go that why then the daunting impossible task of school. I would also add, I was the one they most often came to in some settings. I ate breathed and slept my obsession for about 25 years and if you don't understand obsessions in this community, that is a good thing to understand right here and now.

So why did it take me that long and that many throw aways to come up with the little bunch of stuff? I've never had a straight thought in my life. I have about 50 thoughts going off, seemly at once in my head. Add brain race to it and it's damn near and was impossible to communicate with writing. I'm not the only one here.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 4:34 am

This is in the wrong section. Perhaps it should be in the general autism forum? Or work or school fora? Despite the title description, it's primarily codgers who frequent this forum (as was intended). We're the Dino-Aspies. :)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 4:58 am

Hi Yowling where ya been?

Maybe they should put it else where. We'll see what they think. Personally I think we might have something a bit more to contribute if things are rephrased a bit different. I can think of a perfect example but she's very private, Master's level and still in a college environment. But if she were to take the above at face value, if I were her I wouldn't say anything either. I just happen to be mouthy.

And this is something to consider as well. Many have come here before, to WP, wanting the scoop, the thing is, this is a forum setting. We don't bite, well I do, but most don't. It's hard to know what the hell is up, what needs to be explained to them better. I don't like talking in the third person and I don't like talking to a brick faceless wall. (I'd have to start investigating what style the brickwork is in, it's a curse I tell ya) How about a little speechin back? I don't mind batting ideas around but if they're really into it's a secret, we want it for our school, then the anarchist in me is going to make a big statement. What they got in mind even if it isn't fully fleshed out.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 5:33 am

Hi, Yowling Cat, and Postie..

I agree with both of you...

The form of the request was odd to me...these must be undergrads or something. I've taken part in studies and the requests were much more direct, and the university was stated...oh, wait, one's a Phd...curiouser and curiouser...

And a little explanation as to why they posted it here? Or did they misperceive the age of most of the posters on this forum? Hm....

Just stopping in to see what this was about...

R.

patenta
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2008, 3:02 pm

Sorry about the confusion, we misperceived the age group of this particular forum section. It seemed the most appropriate at face-value as Adult Asperger's Issues and Adolescent Asperger's issues seemed to be much more specific to defined age groups, and the general autism forum wouldn't be proper as it pertains to the full spectrum and PDD, whereas our research is quite specific to AS...then again we are not too familiar with this forum so that could be the proper place for this.

The head researcher is Dr. Christopher Jones, Ph. D. and there are two research-assistants. Our project is still in theoretical stages and we are trying to gain some general information as to compose a survey; a similar thread has been posted at AspiesForFreedom (with the permission of Gareth - head mod...and no this is not spamming advertisement). We are very aware of the sensitive nature of this topic and in no way are we promoting any form of intervention such as SonRise or ABA. We merely want to know what worked and what didn't for those in, or those who graduated from college recently.

Nonetheless, I will ask a moderator to move the thread to a more appropriate forum, and thank you for informing us of this mistake. Is there a consensus on which forum would be the most appropriate? Thank you.

EDIT: We are from the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA.

Last edited by patenta on 08 Feb 2008, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 8:26 pm

Hi Postie and RJ,

I've been hiding behind the sofa with the cat.

Re: where to place the thread; my guess would be the school and college life forum, with the thread clearly marked as pertaining to aspies. I don't know...since it's sensitive material, maybe even members only (though that's not terribly restrictive, these days, what with over 16,500 members, now 8O ...).

What do you folks think? (And yes, Postie, you're right, older is valuable...I was a senior at the age of 40 (at a small, private, liberal arts college in the Pacific Northwest).

After the go around with Ed Ritvo and daughter, maybe folks should check with Alex first, just to get his OK (they can tell him what school is being represented, and he can reassure us without breaking confidences).

Thoughts?
YC :jester:

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm

maybe in the general autism section this could get more views/replies

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 12:50 am

I probably would tend to go school section.

I think you have a few problems yet.

I don't think there is such a thing as just AS. However if by full spectrum you do include the comorbids, then I think you've got the bases covered.

I don't know how much feed back, privately, others that have come here requesting information have gotten. I don't know why you can't glean much of the information you're asking, just by roaming the forums. I would bet more then one paper has been written just lurking in the shadows here and never showing up once. I really don't see where it would be all that hard to do, I dunno maybe it is and maybe you have to have replies directly from your targeted group. I certainly have been able and not even starting threads. I just looked for what I was needing and when I did steer something in a direction I was wondering about, I got what I needed and sometimes got my head snapped around with things I wasn't expecting. That's one of the beauties of this place, some seriously good thinkers here. In a sense you're also asking for a forum likes the parents, we expect NT's and we expect some of them to be clueless and the beauty of that is this. Someone my not have kids (in your case in school, fresh out, etc) but we were in their kids position and know what it felt like and we can give them info from the kids angle. I would think you might be cutting off your nose to spite your face by trying to be too focused. In other words be liberal, lets do a little lateral thinking here guys. You have to have info to window down. I would think better to much then not enough.

No I for one didn't take it as a curebie request, quite the opposite. But it most certainly is your study, for lack of a better word, and you can direct it any ol way ya want.
I might start it out along your lines only a bit broader in the sense of asking all that did the college thing, made it or not. I hardly think you'd be in over flow mode. I might even ask those that are planning to go for their concerns and those that have no plans why not as well as those you have already got targeted. From that info I would digest it and then start at specifics. Hell even if over whelmed with info, I would guess that would be a first here and would look very good in your report, "it is of interest to the community at large, the response is staggering", but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen. If it were in the school section you wouldn't have to put up with me. But it started out well one time. Don't ya wanna know why? See the Vets Admin had a small experimental program at Penn State back in 73-4 I think it was and I.......

It's nice to do science isn't it. And sometimes you can't get to close to your project as it stilts the out come. It's kind of a dilemma some Anthro's (now you're in my area) get into... But ya know, I don't really think that's too much of a concern in this one. Anyway think about it, I am. But let me tell you a secret, you won't change me, worry I'll change you. And isn't that the point you're really asking? You want to adjust the school. Recess time, go play.

Lance Breathwaite was the Penn Sate head of the Veterans program, I think one or two other schools did it in the Country and maybe University at Berkley was one, don't recall exactly...small classes, go at our own speed, no phys ed, better dorm rooms (older mature section), could have a car, one on one counseling to discuss progress at good intervals, could live off campus if desired even at freshman, school official paper work was all handled for me, good close relationships with instructors (hell even the public speaking class was fun), they were as taken with us as we were them, and on, this setting worked very well, then it changed.... Didn't work, still had self destructive tendencies/life style, didn't get into the meat of the curriculum fast enough (got seriously bored), had trouble communicating and didn't know it, writing problems due to too many damn things happening at once in my head. While you might consider off shoots from what I just said, a lot of it was just my not knowing what was at work. AS was not on the radar back then, Bipolar was, but no one including myself knew it. Hell I didn't even know I was depressed. I could think more on it, what other things may have helped and what didn't...this is just off the top of my head. Been a while. But I had near honors grades till I burned out and I barely got out of high school with D's and F's.

One last thing, while on the surface it would be very easy to dismiss this, just due to it being Veterans. Lets think on it, what did we have in common, besides getting drafted into the s**t... We had confidence, it's basic training one o one. There isn't a lot of that in the younger here sometimes. I sure as hell wouldn't send them to basic training, but I would figure out a way to boost it.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:42 am

Thank you, Patenta, for clarifying what you're doing.

I tried to think of how to answer some of you questions, but then I come up with questions.

Breaking down your idea might be necessary. Start with the Aspies who are in college now. Come up with a rough set of questions to clarify their experience, such as what supports are available, what kind of comorbids exist, how severe is their executive function, what seems to be working, what definitely doesn't work, how responsive their informed profs are....etc.

Us moldy oldies can tell you what we went through, but we're definitely going to be quite different. We will have gone through with few if any supports, as AS wasn't even known then. I was tentatively dx as having childhood schizotypal, and was treated quite differently that how someone with a different dx such as AS would be treated today.

An example of my current experience in academia as a 46 yo is also going to be quite different from a younger student, but I can tell you there aren't many supports at the college I'm going to right now. I've had to gather my supports outside of the system. All that is available is special drop-out privileges, and Dragon softwear to use because of my physical disability.

I don't know how big a study this is going to be, but right off you're going to have LOTS of information if you can get the numbers, and sticking with recruiting and encouraging participants will help. Then, as far as I'm concerned, it's Christmas. I love sorting data, and I hope you do, too.

Good luck. I don't mind participating, and I hope I've given you enough info to decide if I could contribute anything to your study.

Metta, Rjaye.