Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 1:19 pm

I came across some information and diagnostic criteria for Asperger Syndrome on the internet. I do seem to fit the criteria, I can identify with it and it makes alot of sense to me, ive always felt different and felt really socially clueless. I re-checked this a few times incase I could have been reading too much into it or something. I took the 'aspie quiz' on the internet somewhere(I cant post the link) and got the following results....
Your neurodiversity (Aspie) score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie (neurodiverse)
Diagnostic prediction for Score Prediction
OCD 140 You very likely will be able to receive the diagnosis
Social phobia 137 You very likely will be able to receive the diagnosis
Asperger/HFA/PDD 136 You very likely will be able to receive the diagnosis
ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder) 131 You very likely will be able to receive the diagnosis

I re-took it to see if I would come out with something a bit more neurotypical second time around but instead got this.....
Your Aspie score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
Trait group Score Judgement
Aspie talent 9.2 Above average
Neurotypical talent 1.3 Below average
Aspie compulsion 8.3 Above average
Neurotypical compulsion 0.3 Below average
Aspie activity pattern 9.5 Above average
Neurotypical social 1.3 Below average
Aspie communication 6.7 Average
Neurotypical communication 1.6 Below average
Aspie hunting 4.4 Average
Neurotypical hunting 6.7 Average
Aspie perception 6.6 Average
Neurotypical perception 2.1 Below average

I also took the A.Q. test three times and came out with 35 out of 50 the first time, 42 out of 50 the second time, and 40 out of 50 the third time.

Firstly, How accurate are these online tests/quizzes? Secondly, how likely is it that I actually do have it? Thirdly, should I see someone about being formally tested for it and if so then how do I do that?

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

Hey I'm kind of the same as you.

I don't care if I have it all not. I'd suggest read up on things and you might discover things that can help you.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 5:29 pm

I hung out with my Aspie scores for a couple of years, just knowing I finally had some indication of a reason I had been like this all along. Just this year I have decided to pursue some formal diagnosis for reasonable accomodation at work, as I am losing function as I grow older ( I am sure it is just energy capacity for keeping up the facade) . I was un prepared for the amazing feeling I am getting to just be vindicated for all those years only I was the cheerleader that I was ok, I really really was ok.. . and now I have a doctor that says I was right all along, I AM OK, just different.

Merle

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

14 Apr 2008, 12:26 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I hung out with my Aspie scores for a couple of years, just knowing I finally had some indication of a reason I had been like this all along. Just this year I have decided to pursue some formal diagnosis for reasonable accomodation at work, as I am losing function as I grow older ( I am sure it is just energy capacity for keeping up the facade) . I was un prepared for the amazing feeling I am getting to just be vindicated for all those years only I was the cheerleader that I was ok, I really really was ok.. . and now I have a doctor that says I was right all along, I AM OK, just different.

Merle

The formal diagnosis has worked in the same manner for me to stop berating myself. Now I am realizing on a visceral level that with a brain hardwired the wrong way, that I have actually done well to tough it through some challenging times. I didn't have this feeling with a self dx. I hope that this more positive outlook lasts. :)

andantespianato

14 Apr 2008, 4:26 pm

I still dont know what to do. I know what I think but does it seem likely to others from reading my original post that I might have it? I took the aspie quiz again there and ended up with
Aspie score: 176 of 200
neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 28 of 200
I could end up being diagnosed with something totally different instead if I go for a formal diagnosis, I hear that happens alot too...

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

I had a high aspie score but TEACCH said I'm PDD-NOS. I think they define Asperger's and PDD-NOS differently than most people do though.

Anyhow the best way to get a legit diagnosis would be to look up your state's Autism organization (most states have something dedicated to autism) and ask for referrals for an adult diagnosis, they should be able to hook you up with someone that can help.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:20 am

I've self diagnosed myself with ADD, with hypoactivity(meaning I'm really slow) and extreme hyperfocus.

But I'm also hypersensitive to bright lights and frozen things. So not sure on the AS. A lot of people with AS also have ADD, these things all seem to be related. :?

If you want to get a diagonise go for it, I guess. Your tests show indications of AS so it is up to you if you want to get a formal diagonise.

GlassWall
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2008, 2:13 am

do you NEED to get formally tested?

no, not really. would such a formal diagnosis change things for you? i ask only because for some people it does change things, it might even make things worse, or it might not affect anything at all. one thing to note is that a formal diagnosis is expensive even with insurance.

there's nothing wrong with exploring what AS is and trying to find support and tools in the AS world to assist with what you are experiencing. you may discover things in the AS community that help you regardless of the clinical accuracy of your conclusion.

however AS is not often a singular condition. a drawback to self-diagnosis is that you are not trained to look for things that might be indications of a more severe or more complex situation. you run the risk of A) making things worse, or B) missing something entirely.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 7:05 am

just curious on how much does it cost to get clinically diagnosed?

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 3:21 pm

velodog wrote:

The formal diagnosis has worked in the same manner for me to stop berating myself. Now I am realizing on a visceral level that with a brain hardwired the wrong way, that I have actually done well to tough it through some challenging times. I didn't have this feeling with a self dx. I hope that this more positive outlook lasts. :)

Who's to judge and say the way your brain is wired is wrong?!?!?!?

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 1:36 am

tailfins1959 wrote:
velodog wrote:

haven't you been paying attention? Even my psychologist gasped when I told him I wasn't interested in becoming more like NTs to fit into their society. He suggested that "when I felt better about myself" I would 'come around'. I just was quiet and sat back. . . when I get my DX he can go to blazes. I don't need him to tell me I beat the odds

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

02 May 2008, 10:33 pm

tailfins1959 wrote:
velodog wrote:

I'm qualified to do so after not "getting it" for 48 years. Not getting the non verbal cues that other people naturally figured out. After hitting my 40's before understanding just the function of small talk and still not be able to pull it off effectively. After decades of knowing that I am feeling out of sorts at times but not knowing why, because I can't even identify my own emotional state a good part of the time. I let out strings of cursing because I can't feel the frustration build and nip it in the bud, this by itself, has caused me problems keeping work.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:47 pm

velodog wrote:
tailfins1959 wrote:
velodog wrote:

I'm qualified to do so after not "getting it" for 48 years. Not getting the non verbal cues that other people naturally figured out. After hitting my 40's before understanding just the function of small talk and still not be able to pull it off effectively. After decades of knowing that I am feeling out of sorts at times but not knowing why, because I can't even identify my own emotional state a good part of the time. I let out strings of cursing because I can't feel the frustration build and nip it in the bud, this by itself, has caused me problems keeping work.

and isn't it ironic that what we think we are expressing is so misinterrupted by the beholder because we don't remember to hold our bodies in some sort of way and tilt our heads 'just so' and they 'see' what we are unaware we are 'saying'.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

03 May 2008, 1:51 am

And in terms of how long, I think you said you were 56 wasn't it Sinsboldy? Thats about 9 more years of aggravation w/o knowing than I had. I hoped that the youngsters here would be better suited somehow than we were because of early diagnosis. And we have a passel of them on this site wanting to take pills and cut themselves lately.WTF?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 10:00 am

velodog wrote:
And in terms of how long, I think you said you were 56 wasn't it Sinsboldy? Thats about 9 more years of aggravation w/o knowing than I had. I hoped that the youngsters here would be better suited somehow than we were because of early diagnosis. And we have a passel of them on this site wanting to take pills and cut themselves lately.WTF?

Yeah, I was 56 when I first heard of Asperger's Syndrome.

I don't know how being told when I was younger would have helped me, much. I mean, the continual knowledge that I was not going to be like others anytime soon would might have helped, but once I got past the arrogance of being quantifyingly different, I would still have all the baggage of being autistic to haul around . but then it might have curbed my natural ambition to life to succeed and excel.
who knows? If I was going to take pills and cut myself ( my penchant was to drink and attempt suicide in various creative ways) I would have done it anyway.
hell, I did do it anyway.

Merle

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2008, 11:51 pm

I just learned about Asperger's recently, and I am on the fence about looking for a diagnosis. Ideally, I would feel sorry for myself less without NTs feeling sorry for me more. Also, part of me wants to justify "gifted learner, does not play well with others, does not socialize with other children" being written on every evaluation as a child with something other than me being antisocial out of pure cussedness.