THE NEW YORKER piece about adult-DX's Aspie , yearish...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ThePhantomStranger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2008, 9:25 pm

...In 2007 THE NEW YORKER ran a piece by a 40-ish male/baby Boomer , who was diagnosed Aspie in his 40s , in 2000 .
Id don't have in right here in front of me , I can't be more specific than that , tho a copy of it's near me , I found a new copy of it (after having had it when it was new)...
TNY is a " dry " , ha ha , enough magazine that it's suitable to speak of it here , " old " , ha ha :lol: 8) ha ha .
Anyone else read it ?
Is it still up ?

16 Oct 2008, 11:13 pm

I read it, My mom is a subscriber and shared it with me. Here is the article

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007 ... _fact_page

NonlinearLuke
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 11:45 pm

I read that article and found it pretty interesting. I could relate to a lot of what he wrote in it. For example, he says that he has always been told that he is good at thinking outside the box. He also said that he has difficulty in gatherings with large amounts of people. Thanks for posting the article because I can't find that issue at the moment.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2008, 1:19 am

Thanks for posting the link to the article. Reading about the author's childhood experiences was like revisiting my own childhood. If only I could have known at the time that there were others like me!

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 3:16 am

legendoftheselkie wrote:
Thanks for posting the link to the article. Reading about the author's childhood experiences was like revisiting my own childhood. If only I could have known at the time that there were others like me!

Tell me about it. Sure as hell would have made school life a hell of a lot easier.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 6:07 am

I read it and then contacted the author. He said that he's working on a memoir which will be interesting to read when it comes out.

Z

ThePhantomStranger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2008, 5:21 pm

...Thank you , Jutty .
Boy , it , somewhat , underlines how " old " someting like TNY is as a source that your MOMMA subscribes ! !! !! !! !! :P :twisted: Hah , hah , hah...
He became a sucess in life , the author , in status and ( presumably ) income .
I'm not , I've been one of the " institutionalized " he speaks of and now homeless , and I guess I will never even full fleged go to college now :cry: :( .
Perhaps if I " lobotomized " myself a little , people would like me more , made myself more of a " fairy " ( non-sexual sense ) " sprite " _ Were I born in modern times , perhaps I'dve been DX'd early .
Had acess to a computer early on .
I rather built much of my identity on being " smart " , bookish , and wisecracking , anyway...Didn't do me much good .
Maybe if I was more " what people love " more..........

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 6:36 pm

Thanks for posting the link! I also could relate to the author's memories. Something he said stuck with me at the end....that seeing the MetLife building called something else, just doesn't sit right with him. I am the same way about old buildings with new names, or the renaming of towns (especially the one I grew up in). Just can't seem to get used to either. LOL Yet, I can certainly do things outside of my normal routine like travel. Life for me seems to be a paradox, something I will never be able to truly figure out.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive