Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 6:52 pm

Will family memebers say thing to you just for the sake of it even if they may not entierly be true, for example "You really are looking like your dad."
Or past friends of your parents will say "He's like farther" etc...

From exprience are these just things relatives will say becuase they think it is what they won't you to here?

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2008, 7:28 pm

It means they can see some aspect of similarity between you and the person to whom you are being compared. It would be odd indeed not to have any characteristics in common, either in appearance and behavior. It doesn't mean they think you are like a clone. :wink:

I have been told I resembled my father, even though I have no beard and never will, because I am female. :lol: I have many behaviors in common with my mother and other relatives. This can lead to people saying, "she's a real (Lastname)!" Other people will see similarities that will escape you, but they're probably there.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 9:43 pm

Word path topic

Even if you leash language, words can get away from you and go places you never would have imagined. :?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2008, 11:34 pm

Just ask yourself, are you similar to your father?

If the answer is no then I suggest you get a DNA test.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 2:33 am

i hate it when people dont take me literlly

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 10:07 am

Me too. And then NTs hate it when we take them literally.

NTIDAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2009, 1:48 am

My wife and I, before we discovered I had AS, used to get into endless arguments over semantics.

I believe that there's an exact meaning for every word, and a precise way of ordering them, for communicating exactly what you mean.

When people use words that 'generally' describe something but are 'technically' inaccurate, and often ambiguous, it's difficult for me to control how emotional I get.

These days, it's much easier for me to recognize these little situations and consciously relax. I try to understand what the person really means, regardless of what words they used.

Most of the time it comes down to them not really understanding the words or the concept they're talking about.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:43 am

Jamesy wrote:
Will family memebers say thing to you just for the sake of it even if they may not entierly be true, for example "You really are looking like your dad."
Or past friends of your parents will say "He's like farther" etc...

From exprience are these just things relatives will say becuase they think it is what they won't you to here?

With NTs what they say is not always what they mean. For AS folks (such as me) the problem is to reconcile the intended meaning with the utterance and since we are not particularly talented at sensing intention we have to work at it. Look, if literally blind people can manage in the world, so can people who are "mind blind". We still have our intelligence going for us. If you are smart enough to use a computer, you should be able to work out heuristic rules for sorting out what other people say.

ruveyn

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

I have an issue with people saying things that are just excuses for not wanting to do something with me.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
if literally blind people can manage in the world, so can people who are "mind blind".

Sadly, no. Because it's one thing to have to learn what is for everyone to see and another to have to learn what is intentionally hidden.