Page 3 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Mike51
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2009, 3:39 pm

It isn't so much not feeling mature with me, it's just that I feel everyone else is my elder superior regardless of how old I get or how much younger the other person is than me. I don't feel I've attained the status and respect to which adults are entitled.

I have a nice full head of hair at age 57, and I've been having it colored since I was probably 47 because I couldn't stand seeing gray hair on what appeared to be such a youthful head! A female co-worker and friend told me years ago that it didn't matter if the hair was dyed if the eyebrows were giving it away, so I started having them colored as well, stubborn little buggers! Things were fine until I came back from a Caribbean vacation this Spring and my hair was so light from the sun that dyeing it my normal shade would have looked ridiculous, so I decided to take the big step and enter the world of old fogieism. BIG MISTAKE. The short do I'd been wearing couldn't support the hideous gray, so I had to let it grow out. Now I look like some old fart, and I feel like an old fart because of the way I look. I used to feel younger because I looked younger, but now all I do is think of how few years I have left to live every time I look in the mirror. The friend who told me to dye my brows passed away a couple years ago, and since then I have felt like crap.

Kirk's response in Star Trek II: "How do I feel? Old. Worn out."

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

Mike51 wrote:
It isn't so much not feeling mature with me, it's just that I feel everyone else is my elder superior regardless of how old I get or how much younger the other person is than me. I don't feel I've attained the status and respect to which adults are entitled.

I have a nice full head of hair at age 57, and I've been having it colored since I was probably 47 because I couldn't stand seeing gray hair on what appeared to be such a youthful head! A female co-worker and friend told me years ago that it didn't matter if the hair was dyed if the eyebrows were giving it away, so I started having them colored as well, stubborn little buggers! Things were fine until I came back from a Caribbean vacation this Spring and my hair was so light from the sun that dyeing it my normal shade would have looked ridiculous, so I decided to take the big step and enter the world of old fogieism. BIG MISTAKE. The short do I'd been wearing couldn't support the hideous gray, so I had to let it grow out. Now I look like some old fart, and I feel like an old fart because of the way I look. I used to feel younger because I looked younger, but now all I do is think of how few years I have left to live every time I look in the mirror. The friend who told me to dye my brows passed away a couple years ago, and since then I have felt like crap.

Kirk's response in Star Trek II: "How do I feel? Old. Worn out."

What color was your natural hair? Some people go to lighter shades, when growing older, so that the gray doesn't show up so much. Could you do that?

Mike51
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2009, 6:36 pm

Too late now to do anything but go with nature, screw her eternal soul. Women seem to be able to get away with anything, but you change something on a man and all hell breaks loose. I will deal with it as I am dealt, thanks anyway dear.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2009, 7:03 pm

Mike51 wrote:
Too late now to do anything but go with nature, screw her eternal soul. Women seem to be able to get away with anything, but you change something on a man and all hell breaks loose. I will deal with it as I am dealt, thanks anyway dear.

Well, I think that women can't get away with much, in the looks department. Society is incredibly cruel to aging women. I am at the "cover the gray" stage of life, but it is always interesting to see men lose interest in interacting with me, if I allow the gray to go without intervention. Not that I like getting attention from random strangers, but it is interesting. I generally like people to let me alone, unless I initiate. So, when feeling anti-social, I leave the gray hairs alone. :twisted:

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2009, 7:28 pm

My NT sister and I both look much younger than our ages, her especially. I think this has to do with our genetics.

As far as emotional age goes, my 15 year old NT daughter is older than me emotionally. One thing I've noticed over the years is that little girls like me, then they grow up. They only continue to like me if they have an intellectual bent.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 11:20 pm

oh hell yes. I'm in my 30s...but I can tell you, in some ways I don't feel like I have aged at all. I still love cartoons as much as I did when I was very young.

Hell, mom thinks there's something 'not grown up' about me because of that. I was led to expect that some sort of sudden or gradual change would come upon me as I got older, where I'd mysteriously/miraculously stop liking 'kids stuff'. This never came to pass and I'm like...ummm am I an adult yet? I don't feel like it...

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2009, 7:14 pm

Even though I am in college, I still feel like I am in high school, because of the way my parents treat me (I live home due to the fact that I am going to a community college). My parents don't want to buy me a car until I transfer to a 4 year university (even though they have the money), I still get grounded, I have curfews, and I just want to kill my parents sometimes. They try to make things a challenge and they are always unsupportive. I just want to die so bad due to the way my parents treat me. But I have better relationships with freinds and peers nowadays.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

26 Sep 2009, 2:22 am

People tend to guess my age at at least 10 years older than I am. I don't think I look that old (I am 27) but people often guess me to be in my late thirties to forties. I have been told more than once that I am an old soul.

My attitudes, intelligence, responsibilities and work ethics display age appropriate maturity (maybe beyond age appropriate), this aside, my interests are rather immature. I enjoy childish fancies, I play video games, I enjoy kids shows/movies etc...

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Awithliving
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Oct 2009, 6:21 am

I feel like I'm 80 years old.

I should enjoy taking a girl for a cruise on a motorcycle, but I enjoy walks in the park.

gippyden
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2009, 6:38 am

Alone-in-the-Crowd wrote:
I can't relate to NT women my age. At work, I hang out with women between 25 and 63 years of age! I feel like I am socially still a young adolescent. I haven't had the same life experiences as my peers :

I am 52 but do not feel the same way as other people my age say they feel. In my mind I am still in my 30's or early 40's and still struggle socially even though my job as a senior educator requires me to attend and/or chair meetings and mix with fellow teachers. I am serious on the outside but acutally am often found laughing and making jokes that appeal to my teenage kids. I have had two very good neuotypical wives, one of them my late wife and the other I am presently with, who have helped me assimilate in to the social fabric of society. I did not do wild or exciting stuff as a teenager and have not had a lot of the same experiences as my fellow workers of aquantences.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2009, 8:37 am

Nope. I've always felt at least half a decade older than I actually am. Right now I'm 22 but I feel like I'm in my 30s.
Hell, people have even told me that I look like I'm in my early 30s, and that my manner of speech makes me seem like I'm in the 30s or 40s, or even 50s.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 8:43 am

Night_Owl_Amber wrote:
No I feel a lot older although I feel people see me as being younger which I'm very sensitive over :cry:

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 8:57 am

Shebakoby wrote:
oh hell yes. I'm in my 30s...but I can tell you, in some ways I don't feel like I have aged at all. I still love cartoons as much as I did when I was very young.

Hell, mom thinks there's something 'not grown up' about me because of that. I was led to expect that some sort of sudden or gradual change would come upon me as I got older, where I'd mysteriously/miraculously stop liking 'kids stuff'. This never came to pass and I'm like...ummm am I an adult yet? I don't feel like it...

I kind of am the same way...in my 30s, still love cartoons. I am also 5'9" was that height by 13. Also most people think I am in my early twenties, I am 31.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 11:46 am

I'm 41. On most days, I'm about as mature as the average 16-year-old...though sometimes, for all intents and purposes, I'm 5. Intellectually, I'm "gifted" and a member of Mensa, so I can seem, when speaking, like a very serious older person, I guess. To add to the dilemma, I'm only physically and mentally attracted to much younger men. I simply can't relate socially/emotionally/culturally with any male who's anywhere near my chronological age, and I find the aging male body to be utterly repugnant. I also look much younger than I am, as I've no facial wrinkles at all and only the first traces of faint lines here and there. I still get carded pretty often when purchasing alcohol. :D

~Steve Jobs

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2009, 12:45 pm

I'm 26, but I think I stopped aging mentally at 18. And even at that I still watch kids cartoons and stuff. :p
My daughter will love that in a few years we can watch em together! :p

dusanyu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2009, 2:45 pm

31 Still Collects toys watches Cartoons so i guess I don't "act my age" i have also been told i look young for my age (that was until I started going gray prematurely)