Do you have any symbolic/religious/lucky items in your home?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 6:39 am

I'm interested in the things you have in your home or garden which have some sort of meaning for you. A cross, a buddha, maybe a 'lucky' china animal, or Feng Shui objects?

We 'inherited' two stone lions which the previous owner of our house left behind and I've got to like them now and every spring they get a good cleaning. I feel they 'guard' the house and wouldn't like to be without them now.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2009, 8:15 am

In my garden I have a little stone sleeping cat to symbolize all the cats we have lived with over the years. The actual departed cats' ashes are scattered in various flower/vegetable beds, so while we think of them when we see anything growing in the yard, the little curled up sleeping cat is the focus of remembrance. Indoors I have a few fossils I have found or bought over the years. Whenever I get overly concerned with my own difficulties, I will spot them and their venerable persistence reminds me that 1) you can do everything "right" and still go extinct and 2) what happens in a lifetime is pretty inconsequential. I find them comforting.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2009, 10:35 am

I have buddhas and buddha pictures, most of them serene, one of them the fat smiling golden buddha. and the do have meaning to me I consider myself buddhist and buddhism was a special interest of minew before my autism obsession.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 11:21 am

I have the Shrine to the Winged Gnome Goddess, as well as her image repeated all over the place..

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 11:40 pm

I have a statue of the patron saint of gardeners I can't remember his name begins with an F. I have a silver angel my Dad had gotten from a yard sale. Lots of turtle statues all around my garden. I think turtles are lucky :ninja:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 6:44 am

I have a piece of stone that I pinched (at one-after-midnight one Hallowe'en, as it happens; I went from Carterhaugh to there... :D ) from the ruins of the family castle.
That, and a couple of pieces of jewellery a good friend made for me, and a teddy bear wearing a bandanna that I've always had. I have a whole shelf full of mementoes of one sort or another, but those are the ones I'd save from a house-fire.

The year is still young.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 10:32 am

That's your family castle? Wow, what an interesting history your family must have! I'd love to have a look around it, I love old castles and abbeys. Maybe one day :)

I have peacocks all over my house. Not real ones (but I'd love a real one if I had a huge garden) I use them as subjects for art, glass-painting, wall-hanging etc. I've always loved them and they are my 'totem' animal I guess. My next project is a cross stitch peacock.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 5:03 pm

I have a metal cross in my bedroom that my brother gave me. In the backyard, there are a pair of lions that were originally on a roof since they're sitting on roof tiles. For a while, I had a bamboo plant, but it eventually died.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 11:21 am

I have all sorts of strange stuff.

A hunk of granite from the town where I grew up, which sat on a huge granite bed-part of the granite used to build the California State Capitol was quarried nearby.

A hunk of purified silicon, the type used to make computer chips, from the former Tech Museum in San Jose, where they had a whole bin of the stuff. It's in a different location now, and they no longer sell it. :(

A Chinese idol of a white cat, he's called Million Dollar Cat because he is supposed to bring wealth. You can see him in any Chinese market.

A paperweight with a piece of the old KDKA radio tower in Pittsburgh. KDKA was the first legal broadcast radio station in the US.

A Chinese paperweight that I thought reminded me of the mysterious paperweight in George Orwell's book 1984. Winston Smith owns a paperweight from before the Revolution, and it propels him to seek the overthrow of Big Brother.

A stuffed black panther from my college-a black panther is their mascot, and in 2000 they were selling small stuffed panthers.

A "long distance hourglass" from the 1950s. Back then, long distance telephone service was EXPENSIVE, and you had to make sure that you didn't go over your limit lest you be buried by a massive bill. So these hourglasses were sold, you used it to make sure to stay within your limit. Mine was a premium item sold by Gerber baby foods. They are pretty rare.

A real glass Coca Cola bottle from around 2000. You can only get them in certain places, I bought mine at a store in Hollywood, but I haven't seen them anywhere else.

As you can see I'm pretty eclectic. I also have one of the last US made Westclox Big Ben alarm clocks, I didn't intend for it to be a collectible, I bought it during the electricity wars in 2001 when Enron was switching off CA's juice to extort money out of us, and I didn't want to be late for school due to no power. Six months later, Westclox went bankrupt. The name was sold and resold, and today is applied to clocks made in China. :evil:

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 8:24 am

Not so much in my house, although I do have lots of things that are special because they belonged to my grandparents. I wear my amulets on a necklace:

1. medal of St. Benedict, for monasticism, way of life which strongly attracts me
2. medal of St. Mary Magdalene, who understands being broken/damaged, needing and loving God
3. a cross that was blessed by Mother Teresa of Calcutta
4. a little turquoise pendant that my mom sent to me from a business trip years ago, right when I found out the baby I was pregnant with had no heartbeat at 15 weeks -- represents Mother's healing love

thyme wrote:
I have a statue of the patron saint of gardeners I can't remember his name begins with an F. I have a silver angel my Dad had gotten from a yard sale. Lots of turtle statues all around my garden. I think turtles are lucky :ninja:

That's St. Francis :)

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 9:17 am

I just looked it up online the patron saint of gardeners and cabdrivers :shrug: is St Fiacre. Don't ask me how you pronounce that. St Francis was I think the patron saint of animals.
Our two dogs have a St. Francis medal on their collars.

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 9:24 am

thyme wrote:
I just looked it up online the patron saint of gardeners and cabdrivers :shrug: is St Fiacre. Don't ask me how you pronounce that. St Francis was I think the patron saint of animals.
Our two dogs have a St. Francis medal on their collars.

Oh! Cool. Thanks for the info