My Mom Thinks that Three Mile Island Accident Causes Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:29 pm

Parents: whatever you do, don’t vaccinate your kids, raise them near nuclear plants, feed them nonorganic foods or GMOs, give them any medicine from real doctors, let them play video games or watch much TV. Autism is a disease to be avoided at all costs! :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm

Oh dear

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:11 pm

The OP left out the use of microwave ovens, mobile telephones, solar cells, high-voltage power lines, coal-burning power plants, dental amalgam, computer viruses, seafood, herpes, maternal fever during pregnancy, bottled water, tap water, cyclamates, saccharine, antidepressants, ancestral schizophrenia, unleaded gasoline, disposable diapers/nappies, et cetera...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2019, 4:23 am

When I hear people spout this crap it makes me think humanity is doomed.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:09 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Parents: whatever you do, don’t vaccinate your kids, raise them near nuclear plants, feed them nonorganic foods or GMOs, give them any medicine from real doctors, let them play video games or watch much TV. Autism is a disease to be avoided at all costs! :roll:

The fact that those things are unhealthy has nothing to do with autism. As far as nuclear plant, its obvious: think of Chernobyl; well, if you don't have an accident then its not as bad, but still it can't be "good" for you. As far as the rest of what you listed goes, the fact that we didn't "evolve" to be exposed to those things logically implies they can't be good for you either.

If you think that in order to advocate for autism you have to advocate for unhealthy lifestyle, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:14 am

Yep, autism is worse than anything, so bad it's a good enough reason to (try to) murder your children too :evil:

A bleach shot anyone? :twisted:

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 8:53 am

Next they'll be sterilizing us Autistic women so we can't reproduce and make more monsters with ASD.

:roll:

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 1:07 pm

QFT wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

The fact that those things are unhealthy has nothing to do with autism.

Some of those things are unhealthy, some not. Do you think it's unhealthy to "vaccinate your kids" or "give them any medicine from real doctors"?

QFT wrote:
As far as nuclear plant, its obvious: think of Chernobyl; well, if you don't have an accident then its not as bad, but still it can't be "good" for you. As far as the rest of what you listed goes, the fact that we didn't "evolve" to be exposed to those things logically implies they can't be good for you either.

If you think that in order to advocate for autism you have to advocate for unhealthy lifestyle, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I didn't get the impression that Twilightprincess meant to advocate all the things she listed. She was just sarcastically referencing a bunch of quack ideas on how to prevent autism.

Twilightprincess, is my interpretation correct?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2019, 2:09 pm

Many things cause Autism. Autism is diagnosed by symptoms, signs, and traits so anything that causes the brain to respond in ways that makes it have those symptoms, signs, and traits, will be called Autism. So there are many factors, some are genetic and some are environmental. Is it possible that the TMI accident may have caused someone's brain to be affected to produce Autistic symptoms, maybe. But also maybe not. So until there is more study done on that I would not definitely say one way or the other. I live very close to TMI but I have only lived in this area a few years so I know that it did not cause my Autism and I am older than the accident. But whether it affected others in that way, I don't know, maybe, maybe not.

Wreck It Ralph

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 12:06 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Some of those things are unhealthy, some not. Do you think it's unhealthy to "vaccinate your kids" or "give them any medicine from real doctors"?

I would say its a grey area. Routine vaccination is unhealthy. But when there is a good reason to be vaccinated then its different. For example I got vaccinated before going to India and I also got a tetanus shot when I accidentally cut myself. Although I regret getting vaccinated before India: my mom didn't get vaccinated when she visitted me there (she visitted me three times) and nothing happened to her.

As far as medication, I am strongly against psychiatric meds since brain damage is not a side effect but a sought-for effect. Take neuroleptics for example. The way they work is by blocking a nerve endings -- thats what the term neuropeptic stand for. So wouldn't you think doing that would, inherently, amount to lowering all brain functions altogether, not just bad ones? Kind of like if computer says 2+2=5 just hit it with a hammer, and then it won't say it since it won't be able to say anything at all. Indeed, the drug Thorazine used to be called "chemical lobotomy" and it wasn't sarcastic name, it was actually meant to make it sound good since lobotomy used to be fassionable back in those days. But when it went out of fassion then thorazine was no longer called that.

As far as other medications, such as the ones against cold, I am "somewhat" against them too, but my opinion isn't nearly as strong. The flaw I see in cold medication is that it doesn't train your body to fight cold on its own so your natural functions become weaker. For the same reason I am against wearing glasses too: the more you wear glasses the more your natural vision deteriorates, but if you don't wear them then it gets stronger.

However, like I said, those things aren't nearly as bad as psychiatric meds: at least they don't try to "deliberately" damage you. If I have an important event to go to and I have a bad cold, then yes I can take a cold medicine to get rid of it, but if I have more time then I would prefer to do natural things: for example have you read "Miracle of Fasting" by Paul Bragg? He advocates using fasting to cure colds among other things. I didn't do most of the fast he recommends I only did the easiest, a couple of days, ones (while some of the fasts he recommends can last for several weeks which I never did) but a couple of day fast can indeed help with cold. Similarly with glasses: I would only wear glasses if I am at the job interview or some other setting where it is super important, otherwise I won't wear them.

And by the way none of those beliefs have to do with Asperger on my end anyway. I hold those beliefs quite independently of what I think about Asperger. However, I got them from my parents, so its possible THEY connected it to Asperger, I can't read their mind. But I doubt it. I mean, my grandma was the first one to have this idea against meds and she had that idea before I was even born. Also I remember how my father was refusing to take asperin for pain and it was about him not me. As far as my mom she takes thiroid medicine but she believes thats what ultimately damaged her thiroid even further so now she is trying to get off of it. But she avoids other types of medicines, such as cold medicine and so forth. My grandma used blood pressure medicine because her blood pressure was way too high not to use it, but she was avoiding other types of medicine. When she became really old my mom started giving her more medicine but it took some effort to persuade her.

Mona Pereth wrote:
I didn't get the impression that Twilightprincess meant to advocate all the things she listed. She was just sarcastically referencing a bunch of quack ideas on how to prevent autism.

I guess my point was "its more important what you do than why you do it". So leading a healthy lifestyle should be a good thing, even though its done for a wrong reason.

I do see your point though that doing it "for a wrong reason" has a bad side in that it reinforces some prejudices. But I don't want to throw away a baby with a bathwater.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2019, 8:57 am

QFT wrote:
I would say its a grey area. Routine vaccination is unhealthy.

Unhealthy? On what grounds?

There are some people with immune system conditions that make vaccinations unhealthy for them. But, for the vast majority of people, and for society as a whole, the benefits of the commonly-used vaccines greatly outweigh the risks.

The point of these vaccines is not only to protect oneself, but also to prevent epidemics. If too many people refuse to take a vaccine, an epidemic is thereby caused.

QFT wrote:
But when there is a good reason to be vaccinated then its different. For example I got vaccinated before going to India and I also got a tetanus shot when I accidentally cut myself. Although I regret getting vaccinated before India: my mom didn't get vaccinated when she visitted me there (she visitted me three times) and nothing happened to her.

Why do you regret the vaccinations you got before going to India? How do you think they harmed you?

QFT wrote:
As far as medication, I am strongly against psychiatric meds since brain damage is not a side effect but a sought-for effect. Take neuroleptics for example. The way they work is by blocking a nerve endings -- thats what the term neuropeptic stand for. So wouldn't you think doing that would, inherently, amount to lowering all brain functions altogether, not just bad ones? Kind of like if computer says 2+2=5 just hit it with a hammer, and then it won't say it since it won't be able to say anything at all. Indeed, the drug Thorazine used to be called "chemical lobotomy" and it wasn't sarcastic name, it was actually meant to make it sound good since lobotomy used to be fassionable back in those days. But when it went out of fassion then thorazine was no longer called that.

It is my understanding that more recent anti-psychotic medications aren't as bad as Thorazine. Of course, like most medications, they do have side-effects and hence shouldn't be over-prescribed. They should be taken only by people who actually do need them and for whom the benefits greatly outweigh the side effects.

QFT wrote:
As far as other medications, such as the ones against cold, I am "somewhat" against them too, but my opinion isn't nearly as strong. The flaw I see in cold medication is that it doesn't train your body to fight cold on its own so your natural functions become weaker.

I too avoid cold medications except for very bad colds.

QFT wrote:
For the same reason I am against wearing glasses too: the more you wear glasses the more your natural vision deteriorates, but if you don't wear them then it gets stronger.

No, your vision doesn't actually get stronger, except maybe when you're young. But I see your point about how wearing glasses all the time can exacerbate a vision problem.

QFT wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I guess my point was "its more important what you do than why you do it". So leading a healthy lifestyle should be a good thing, even though its done for a wrong reason.

I do see your point though that doing it "for a wrong reason" has a bad side in that it reinforces some prejudices. But I don't want to throw away a baby with a bathwater.

This thread is primarily about alleged causes of autism, not about which behaviors are healthy or not for other reasons.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 1:12 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
QFT wrote:
I would say its a grey area. Routine vaccination is unhealthy.

Unhealthy? On what grounds?

There are some people with immune system conditions that make vaccinations unhealthy for them. But, for the vast majority of people, and for society as a whole, the benefits of the commonly-used vaccines greatly outweigh the risks.

I wasn't thinking of them as unhealthy on the basis of challenging an immune system. On the opposite: the argument made by supporters of natural medicine is that the body should be trained to fight an infection on its own, which "seems" to be the point of vaccines. But then the question is: why don't supporters of natural medicine support vaccines on these grounds? And, on a flip side, why do people that support vaccines typically oppose the natural medicine? Thats why it seems that there is more than what meets an eye. So I guess I don't like vaccines for the same reason I don't like other types of "standardized" medicine and prefer the natural one.

The other reason I don't like vaccines is that I heard that a lot of Christians oppose them, enough so as to make religious exemption either number 1 or number 2 on the list. One thing I heard from Christians is that swine flu vaccine might have had microchip in it, which would make it the mark of the beast. I didn't hear Christians make similar claims about other types of vaccines. In fact, if I were to come to them and ask "well I got vaccinated, can I still be saved" they would say yes I can still be saved (in sharp contrast to what they would say to someone who got the actual mark). So I guess there is some other religious thing against vaccines that I am missing but, whatever it is, I would like to take it seriously.

Mona Pereth wrote:
The point of these vaccines is not only to protect oneself, but also to prevent epidemics. If too many people refuse to take a vaccine, an epidemic is thereby caused.

That is actually one of the aspects of it I don't like, since that encourages governments control of people -- which is similar concept to sending people to mental hospitals against their will since they would endanger other people OR forcing the general public to take microchip implants in order to avoid terrorism.

Mona Pereth wrote:
QFT wrote:
But when there is a good reason to be vaccinated then its different. For example I got vaccinated before going to India and I also got a tetanus shot when I accidentally cut myself. Although I regret getting vaccinated before India: my mom didn't get vaccinated when she visitted me there (she visitted me three times) and nothing happened to her.

Why do you regret the vaccinations you got before going to India? How do you think they harmed you?

I mainly regret it on the basis of Christian thing (see above). In fact, I would have likely not taken them since my mom -- even though she isn't a Christian -- is opposed to vaccines as well (for medical reasons). My girlfriend at the time was the one who pressured me into getting vaccinated and I regret that I gave into her pressure.

Mona Pereth wrote:
QFT wrote:

It is my understanding that more recent anti-psychotic medications aren't as bad as Thorazine.

But if they "aren't as bad" then they aren't as effective either -- since the way they work is "by" blocking the nerve cells. So "if" a given antipsychotic medication actually worked -- it should logically imply that it "did" damage the nerve system. I just don't see any other mechanism of blocking psychotic symptoms that doesn't involve damaging the nervious system as a whole. I mean meds aren't "smart" they can't say "this signal is a good one, I will let it pass, but this one one is hallucination, I will block it". They can only block everything indistinguishably -- which is precisely why I don't like the whole concept of it.

Mona Pereth wrote:

QFT wrote:
As far as other medications, such as the ones against cold, I am "somewhat" against them too, but my opinion isn't nearly as strong. The flaw I see in cold medication is that it doesn't train your body to fight cold on its own so your natural functions become weaker.

I too avoid cold medications except for very bad colds.

I am glad you agree with me on this one. I seen too many people that are way too willing to use medication when they don't really have to.

Mona Pereth wrote:

QFT wrote:
For the same reason I am against wearing glasses too: the more you wear glasses the more your natural vision deteriorates, but if you don't wear them then it gets stronger.

No, your vision doesn't actually get stronger, except maybe when you're young. But I see your point about how wearing glasses all the time can exacerbate a vision problem.

At least in the past, I used to look a lot younger than my age -- probably not any more though. So I can always tell myself I hope my body didn't age as fast so things that young people do can still help me. In any case, as long as I don't "harm" myself by not wearing glasses there is nothing to lose.

Speaking of "harming myself" I guess one way in which it affects me is that my problem with social skills includes the way I don't remember names and faces and don't recognize people that assume I recognize them. I guess its not "just" glasses since, like I said, I don't remember names either -- and I "do" recognize faces of "some" people, such as my professors. But perhaps wearing glasses might still help at least somewhat. So few months ago I actually considered getting a weaker prescription and using it for a while just to see how much it would help. But the eye doctor at Walmart refused to make it weaker, so I might try a different eye doctor.

Mona Pereth wrote:

QFT wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

This thread is primarily about alleged causes of autism, not about which behaviors are healthy or not for other reasons.

If you read the first sentence of OP, it doesn't have the word "autism" and simply says not to do unhealthy things. Then, of course, there is the second sentence, that tells you the "reason" for this advice: autism. Thats why I am saying that the type of "advice" she is opposed to is "good advice for a wrong reason".

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm

I'm in Europe. My Mum thinks Chernobyl caused my problems. Not so much autism, but all of my health issues. I was alive in 1986 and living in an area that was affected by radiation though, well, most of Europe was, but how much is too much :shrug:

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 2:08 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I'm in Europe. My Mum thinks Chernobyl caused my problems. Not so much autism, but all of my health issues. I was alive in 1986 and living in an area that was affected by radiation though, well, most of Europe was, but how much is too much :shrug:

I am surprised you said "most of Europe was". I mean, I am from Russia so I know a lot about Chernobyl, and from what I know it was just Belarus, Ukraine, and small part of Russia. Yes I heard that the radiation was detected in Sweden, but I thought it was only shortly after the accident and it didn't last for that long as it was just trace amounts. I never heard of England or France or any other place in Western Europe being affected. What country in Europe do you live at?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 2:49 pm

QFT wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I am surprised you said "most of Europe was". I mean, I am from Russia so I know a lot about Chernobyl, and from what I know it was just Belarus, Ukraine, and small part of Russia. Yes I heard that the radiation was detected in Sweden, but I thought it was only shortly after the accident and it didn't last for that long as it was just trace amounts. I never heard of England or France or any other place in Western Europe being affected. What country in Europe do you live at?

Oh my goodness, they only lifted the ban on selling livestock in certain parts of the UK about 8 years ago. The ban was due to radioactivity. Most of Europe had a radioactive cloud blown over it. Obviously not as intense as what fell over Belarus, but yes it affected the rest of Europe.

I was in the UK at the time. In one of the yelliw areas of the map below

This is an article from 2010 when the restrictions were still in place in England. The ban was finally lifted in 2012
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scottish-sheep-farms-finally-free-of-chernobyl-fallout-2020059.html

Anyhoo, I don't believe my Mum's worries. I wasn't munching on plants grown on high ground. If it was raining I would probably not have been out playing in it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm

hurtloam wrote:
QFT wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Oh my goodness, they only lifted the ban on selling livestock in certain parts of the UK about 8 years ago. The ban was due to radioactivity. Most of Europe had a radioactive cloud blown over it. Obviously not as intense as what fell over Belarus, but yes it affected the rest of Europe.

I was in the UK at the time. In one of the yelliw areas of the map below

This is an article from 2010 when the restrictions were still in place in England. The ban was finally lifted in 2012
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scottish-sheep-farms-finally-free-of-chernobyl-fallout-2020059.html

Anyhoo, I don't believe my Mum's worries. I wasn't munching on plants grown on high ground. If it was raining I would probably not have been out playing in it.

Thank you for letting me know, that is really interesting as I was not familiar with this before. I guess the map I was familiar with was this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl ... p_1996.svg

and it seems to imply that radiation fallout is far more local. Or could it be that the units of radioactivity used in your map is different from mine so that your map can detect much smaller radiation that my map won't detect? Do you have any idea on how to convert those two unit systems?

So how come when I travel to England nobody ever warns me about radiation there -- the way I would be warned if I were to go to Kiev for example?