Page 24 of 26 [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2021, 1:47 am

I feel it is a word that cannot hurt me anymore. IDk maybe I just got called a ret*d so often I decided there were worse things...and sometimes I feel my brain gets a little ret*d sometimes like might take me some time to think about something. ret*d just means slowed down so well seems my brains processing speed can be 'ret*d' at times. I mean IDK once you kind of break the word apart it kinda loses its power.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2021, 11:02 am

The people who use it to elevate them selfs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2021, 7:19 am

Did Namjoon use a ‘slur’ in his song? ARMY defends BTS singer as Internet slams him for disrespecting 'autism'

Quote:
Did Namjoon use a ‘slur’ in his song? ARMY defends BTS singer as Internet slams him for disrespecting 'autism'

It is still not clear who noticed the slur in the song, which was released 6 years back. One Internet user slammed him saying: "The r slur alone has and is being used to oppress people and inflict trauma to them, and a prominent figure such as namjoon saying it in a song just to sound lyrical is just very wrong idk why i’m still explaining this." While another one tweeted: "namjoon should apologize bc it is a slur at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if he intended to mean that way or not. And saying that it’s “noun” or a “verb” is insulting and unfair to people with autism/ neurodivergent it hurt them stop sweeping up ur kpop faves mess under."

The r slur alone has and is being used to oppress people and inflict trauma to them, and a prominent figure such as namjoon saying it in a song just to sound lyrical is just very wrong idk why i’m still explaining this.

Soon, more and more people started slamming him and wrote, "tw // ableism , r slur mention hey namjoon i got aspergers and high functioning autism like i know u would be quick to call me a r*tard lord!" One person complained: "Tonight, my neurodivergent best friend has been harassed by neurotypicals for being offended about what Namjoon said. She has gotten dms telling her that she is wrong for being offended and has been called the r slur. So many people with corrupted mindsets are speaking over nd +"

As soon as the Internet started slamming Namjoon, the BTS ARMY came to support him, saying: "To the people who keep saying namjoon needs to apologize He did, he sat for hours on his live apologizing for the things he’s said. And btw THE R SLUR HAS TWO MEANINGS

I expected it would come to this. Namjoon has nothing to apologize for, his lyrics had nothing to do with us whatsoever, it had nothing to do with Intellectually Disabled people. The lyrics were about empowerment for himself not insulting others he was saying you are not going to inhibit me, you are not going to slow me down. Don’t tell the Autistic Justice Warriors but back before they were born “slow” was a pejorative to describe intellectually disabled people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2021, 9:06 pm

I absolutely hate that word! Used have other students scream that word at me as a kid many times before I walked into my special ed class. Teachers of course did nothing. So I ended up getting into trouble when I said something to those other classmates.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 10:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

It is still not clear who noticed the slur in the song, which was released 6 years back. One Internet user slammed him saying: "The r slur alone has and is being used to oppress people and inflict trauma to them, and a prominent figure such as namjoon saying it in a song just to sound lyrical is just very wrong idk why i’m still explaining this." While another one tweeted: "namjoon should apologize bc it is a slur at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if he intended to mean that way or not. And saying that it’s “noun” or a “verb” is insulting and unfair to people with autism/ neurodivergent it hurt them stop sweeping up ur kpop faves mess under."

The r slur alone has and is being used to oppress people and inflict trauma to them, and a prominent figure such as namjoon saying it in a song just to sound lyrical is just very wrong idk why i’m still explaining this.

Soon, more and more people started slamming him and wrote, "tw // ableism , r slur mention hey namjoon i got aspergers and high functioning autism like i know u would be quick to call me a r*tard lord!" One person complained: "Tonight, my neurodivergent best friend has been harassed by neurotypicals for being offended about what Namjoon said. She has gotten dms telling her that she is wrong for being offended and has been called the r slur. So many people with corrupted mindsets are speaking over nd +"

As soon as the Internet started slamming Namjoon, the BTS ARMY came to support him, saying: "To the people who keep saying namjoon needs to apologize He did, he sat for hours on his live apologizing for the things he’s said. And btw THE R SLUR HAS TWO MEANINGS

I expected it would come to this. Namjoon has nothing to apologize for, his lyrics had nothing to do with us whatsoever, it had nothing to do with Intellectually Disabled people. The lyrics were about empowerment for himself not insulting others he was saying you are not going to inhibit me, you are not going to slow me down. Don’t tell the Autistic Justice Warriors but back before they were born “slow” was a pejorative to describe intellectually disabled people.

It's probably unfair to pile up on Namjoon as lots of rappers still use the r-word in their lyrics including Cardi-B, Eminem, Nikki Minaj and Iggy Azalea. The hip-Hop and rap music scene is still coming to terms with homophobia and throwing slurs at the disabled.

Namjoon (like many east Asian musicians) are simply adopting the language that's already present in the music genre.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 3:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

It's probably unfair to pile up on Namjoon as lots of rappers still use the r-word in their lyrics including Cardi-B, Eminem, Nikki Minaj and Iggy Azalea. The hip-Hop and rap music scene is still coming to terms with homophobia and throwing slurs at the disabled.

Namjoon (like many east Asian musicians) are simply adopting the language that's already present in the music genre.

Nothing analogous in how the word was used. How soon will they try and ban using the "flame retardant", "bug retardent" etc?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2021, 4:20 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Nothing analogous in how the word was used. How soon will they try and ban using the "flame retardant", "bug retardent" etc?

I've said before that retarding basin, flame retardant are functional names used in industrial chemistry or civil engineering.

Rappers on the other hand should know better.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 6:22 am

Considering context, pronunciation, I’m ok with certain exceptions

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 1:28 pm

As as young child all the way through to early adult, I was often referred to by that name and it made me feel horrible. Honestly; I feel, that we as a society need to get away from such barbaric wording as such.

AngryJackal97

17 May 2021, 10:48 pm

longshot wrote:
As as young child all the way through to early adult, I was often referred to by that name and it made me feel horrible. Honestly; I feel, that we as a society need to get away from such barbaric wording as such.

Agreed! People really need to just step away from such vulgar language.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 1:29 am

I mean it's not rocket science to not use this and other slurs in our vocabluary.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:27 pm

Schumer apologizes after using outdated term for disabled children during housing interview

Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer apologized on Monday for using an outmoded word to refer to developmentally disabled children during a recent podcast appearance.

Appearing on the One NYCHA podcast, Schumer used the word “ret*d” in making a point about the challenge of overcoming community resistance to housing initiatives meant to serve vulnerable populations.

When I first was an assemblyman, they wanted to build a congregate living place for ret*d children — the whole neighborhood was against it,” Schumer said, referring to the time he spent representing parts of Brooklyn in the New York legislature from 1975 to 1980 prior to serving in Congress.

“These are harmless kids. They just needed some help,” he said, adding that the effort was ultimately successful. “We got it done. Took a while.”

On Monday afternoon, a Schumer spokesperson said the majority leader erred in using such an “inappropriate and outdated word” during the interview.

“For decades, Sen. Schumer has been an ardent champion for enlightened policy and full funding of services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “He is sincerely sorry for his use of the outdated and hurtful language.”

The project Schumer was referring to was connected to an organization then known as the Association for the Help of ret*d Children. (AHRC has since dropped that name and now simply goes by the initials.)

Ahh good old 2021, where the use of an outdated term is more important then the kids he helped. Since that was the actual name of the organization that built the project his use of that word is understandable and should be forgivable.

That all said if you are going to apologize don’t have your spokesperson do it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:32 pm

Amy Schumer ins't funny to begin with and plagiarises other comics. She really just digs herself into holes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Amy Schumer ins't funny to begin with and plagiarises other comics. She really just digs herself into holes.

It was not Amy Schumer who said this but a distant relative of hers Chuck Schumer Majority Leader of the United States Senate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:47 pm

I read his transcript. I give him some leeway because of his age/vintage and his actual good intentions.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 1:12 am

I don't find it as offensive as Spastic I hate that word when I was at the special school sometimes we had to walk past the Mainstream schools and the kids there would chant that Horrible word at us.