Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 8:19 am

Sir Anthony Hopkins ‘doesn’t believe in’ his Asperger’s diagnosis: ‘Maybe I’m ignorant’

Quote:

Sir Anthony Hopkins has spoken about his Asperger’s diagnosis, sharing he ‘doesn’t believe in it’.

The 83-year-old Oscar-winning actor was told he has the developmental disorder – which is a form of autism – in his late 70s but insisted he doesn’t ‘feel any different’ and added his frustration that people are so quick to add labels to humans and their behaviour these days.

He told GQ magazine, as he scooped the legend award at this year’s Man Of The Year Awards, when asked how his diagnosis came about: ‘I think some doctor contacted me… I don’t know. I don’t, actually, I don’t believe in it. I don’t feel any different. I think these are dressed up. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’m ignorant.

They call it neurodiversity. It’s a fancy label. I’m very focused in one way. I notice when I’m in restaurants, but that’s my behaviour.

“I think we’ve ruined the human system by tabulating everything.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:37 am

Here's the crux of the matter...

Was the "diagnosis" made by an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioner operating under the relevant Standard of Protocols after having personally examined Sir Anthony in a clinical setting?

Or was this an ad-hoc "diagnosis" made by someone who has never met Sir Anthony at all, but who has only seen his performances in Silence of The Lambs and Noah?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 12:28 pm

He seemed less defiant a few years ago, I wonder what changed? If he changed does that mean he is not autistic anymore, or never was?

Quote:
With regard to being on the autism spectrum, Hopkins told the Desert Sun in 2017 that he was on “the high end.” He said, “A lot of people with Asperger’s are highly functional, but inconsistent. They have nervous ticks, nervous habits, inconsistently obsessive thinking.”

He said the way his brain worked may have been helpful with his acting. He’s known for his extraordinary ability to memorize lines. He also told the Daily Mail in 2017: “I definitely look at people differently. I like to deconstruct, to pull a character apart, to work out what makes them tick and my view will not be the same as everyone else.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/24/ ... -syndrome/

Funny the mercury news gives links to dailymailads, but not Desert Sun Article.

Ok dug a bit and found it.

Quote:
Well, I’ve been diagnosed with Asperger’s, but I’m high end. A lot of people with Asperger’s are highly functional, but inconsistent. They have nervous ticks, nervous habits, inconsistently obsessive thinking. Some neurological people don’t agree, but my wife was trying to figure out who she was married to and she read a newsletter from a psychotherapist. He said, 'You should see some of my patients.' He put it back on the map that Asperger’s people tend to be creative or severely handicapped. I don’t know if that’s true of me, but I know I can never be restful. I tend to multi-task. I decide I’m not going to paint and then I’ll spend 24 hours painting.

ADHD>? :jester:

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2021, 9:56 am

Antony is in denial.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:58 am

I feel like whether he's an Aspie or not is irrelevant, frankly.

He seems to feel the same way. He knows he is Anthony Hopkins, diagnosis or no diagnosis.

AliceCooper

18 Oct 2021, 10:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like whether he's an Aspie or not is irrelevant, frankly.

He seems to feel the same way. He knows he is Anthony Hopkins, diagnosis or no diagnosis.

You brought up some valid points!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

It doesn't sound like he questions the accuracy of the diagnosis, just the relevance.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

Double Retired wrote:
It doesn't sound like he questions the accuracy of the diagnosis, just the relevance.

Well maybe he`s right when a top movie star millionare with no shortage of work or friends, or billionare business man with no obvious disabilities or problems claims he suffers from a neurodevelopmental disorder, that usually causes serious life impediment, its maybe the end of the line for autism as a thing.

Just before the 1929 ecconomic crash a stockbroker was reported to have said he knew it was the end of line when his shoe shine boy was buying stocks, maybe we are at that point now with autism.

Diagnosis doesnt mean anything anymore.

- George Bernie Shaw

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 3:26 pm

An MRI might settle it.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 6:58 pm

Well. He's a rich actor. He should be able to mask and cope with the best of them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 7:27 pm

According to Hopkins "Some doctor told me" which comes across as a medical doctor's professional opinion rather than part of a comprehensive diagnostic assessment which he (Hopkins) consented to.

A famous Australian classical pianist David Helfgott was also diagnosed with Aspergers and schizoaffective disorder. Interestingly on radio his wife (who speaks on his behalf to the media) objects to his diagnosis of Aspergers and says the media is misrepresenting his "illness". She has no problem with "Schizoaffective disorder" though?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 3:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
According to Hopkins "Some doctor told me" which comes across as a medical doctor's professional opinion rather than part of a comprehensive diagnostic assessment which he (Hopkins) consented to.

It is no surprise he is dismissive of the person who gave him a diagnosis formal or informal he now does not believe in.

This is all speculation, we do not know if he was officially diagnosed or by whom.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It is no surprise he is dismissive of the person who gave him a diagnosis formal or informal he now does not believe in.

This is all speculation, we do not know if he was officially diagnosed or by whom.

True.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm

theprisoner wrote:
An MRI might settle it.

MRIs are useless in diagnosing autism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 6:20 pm