Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2021, 2:39 am

There are many uncertainties. Are autistic traits in some people with intellectual impairment caused by the same neurodevelopmental differences that cause autism in people without intellectual impairment? Is the intellectual impairment shown by some autistics a comorbidity, or is it intrinsic to their autism? Or, in other words, is intellectual impairment caused by 'severe autism' or is it coincidental? Do some forms of intellectual impairment cause autism-like traits?

Ideally, studies should incorporate data taken from the entirety of people diagnosed with autism (including Asperger's and high functioning, as these diagnoses have been deprecated and subsumed).

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 7:37 am

Urselius wrote:
There are many uncertainties. Are autistic traits in some people with intellectual impairment caused by the same neurodevelopmental differences that cause autism in people without intellectual impairment? Is the intellectual impairment shown by some autistics a comorbidity, or is it intrinsic to their autism? Or, in other words, is intellectual impairment caused by 'severe autism' or is it coincidental? Do some forms of intellectual impairment cause autism-like traits?

Ideally, studies should incorporate data taken from the entirety of people diagnosed with autism (including Asperger's and high functioning, as these diagnoses have been deprecated and subsumed).

Probably genetics some autism genes cause low intelligence others cause high IQ.

There’s a link between autism and having a mathematician in the family I read somewhere.

But it’s inescapable fact that autism causes low intelligence in around half of autistic people diagnosed in childhood scoring under 85 in IQ.

Also more worryingly kids below 70 IQ have a tendency to get worse with age.

Maybe falling further behind or brain damage from reoccurring epilepsy which is common with in autism I don’t know.

- George Bernie Shaw

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2021, 11:04 am

I suspect, just as a limp can be caused by a sprained ankle, broken toe, strained ligaments, torn muscle etc. etc., that autism has a multitude of causes, genetic, epigenetic and other.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 2:23 pm

Urselius wrote:
I suspect, just as a limp can be caused by a sprained ankle, broken toe, strained ligaments, torn muscle etc. etc., that autism has a multitude of causes, genetic, epigenetic and other.

Yes it looks that way.

One encouraging thing apparently there are 116 treatable intellectual disabilities some linked to autism, only 9 years back in 2012 there was 81.

So it appears people are working on this especially BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver that created this website for clinicians.

https://treatable-id.org/

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 5:20 pm

carlos55 wrote:
But it’s inescapable fact that autism causes low intelligence in around half of autistic people diagnosed in childhood scoring under 85 in IQ.

Citation? The stats I've seen show far lower rates of intellectual disability.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 7:46 pm

Quote:
31% of children with ASD have an intellectual disability (intelligence quotient [IQ] <70), 25% are in the borderline range (IQ 71–85), and 44% have IQ scores in the average to above average range (i.e., IQ >85).

Although this quote comes from the Autism Speaks website, I think it is consistent CDC data from 2016. I think there is plenty of reason to be skeptical that these numbers represent the entire ASD population. This paper from the CDC says "the majority of children who fall on the spectrum have average to above average intellectual ability." Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 1:34 am

CarlM wrote:
Quote:
31% of children with ASD have an intellectual disability (intelligence quotient [IQ] <70), 25% are in the borderline range (IQ 71–85), and 44% have IQ scores in the average to above average range (i.e., IQ >85).

Although this quote comes from the Autism Speaks website, I think it is consistent CDC data from 2016. I think there is plenty of reason to be skeptical that these numbers represent the entire ASD population. This paper from the CDC says "the majority of children who fall on the spectrum have average to above average intellectual ability." Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder

Do they give % to back that up or is it just an empty slogan?

It’s not disputed by anyone approx 30% of autistic people have ID.

The question is with the border low IQ range 71 - 85 which they claim 25% fall. This pushes low IQ over the line at 56%.

However there is some evidence this 25% splits in adulthood (see prev link) so figure by 18 is probably in the range of 43% ID.

- George Bernie Shaw

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 4:02 am

The number one priority for autism research should be IQ raising or ID.

I believe even most anti cure ND advocates would support that.

Bumetanide was supposed to help here, apparently it works for a subset of those with severe autism but failed recent trials because lazy researchers measured over the whole spectrum.

Failing as usual to account for the heterogeneous nature of ASD.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 12:28 pm

carlos55 wrote:

Why?

Weren't you saying autism led to the premature death of someone you knew? Wouldn't whatever caused his death be a bigger priority than raising IQ?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 2:05 pm

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

Weren't you saying autism led to the premature death of someone you knew? Wouldn't whatever caused his death be a bigger priority than raising IQ?

My deceased cousin with severe autism did have severe ID.

It was unsurprisingly his most prominent symptom.

Yes ID should be the biggest target by researchers, but given nearly half of autistic people have a scientifically proven low IQ (under 85) I suspect that the biological incident that caused the low intelligence in these people also caused the autism as well.

Some get lucky with their autism on IQ, but it’s clear there is probably multiple types of autism’s, with different causes and symptoms and in nearly half of cases consequences are particularly negative.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:40 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

Do you think he'd have lived longer if his IQ was higher? Why?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 9:57 am

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

I don`t know ID and severe autism are kind of a package so its difficult to separate them.

Being ID does reduce lifespan anyway, not being able to take care of your own basic needs in maintaining a healthy body, like eating right, regulating your own exercise / calorie intake, being able to identify & express your needs or body problems to a doctor.

In fact there is a direct link to high IQ and higher life expectancy among NT`s anyway.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

I don`t know ID and severe autism are kind of a package so its difficult to separate them.

Being ID does reduce lifespan anyway, not being able to take care of your own basic needs in maintaining a healthy body, like eating right, regulating your own exercise / calorie intake, being able to identify & express your needs or body problems to a doctor.

In fact there is a direct link to high IQ and higher life expectancy among NT`s anyway.

Do you think ID causes kidney failure?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 6:42 am

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

I don’t know, poor general health and severe autism go together as a package.

Severe autism is a horrible condition to have, cause of death is irrelevant whether kidney failure, epilepsy or hitting your head on a bath tub like what happened to Jett John Travolta's son.

- George Bernie Shaw

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:10 pm

carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

Severe autism is a horrible condition to have, cause of death is irrelevant whether kidney failure, epilepsy or hitting your head on a bath tub like what happened to Jett John Travolta's son.

Severe autism only leads to poor health when combined with neglect.

And raising IQ won't make your kidney function better, or stop you having seizures.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:42 am

Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Why?

Severe autism only leads to poor health when combined with neglect.

And raising IQ won't make your kidney function better, or stop you having seizures.

A two min google search will reveal the link between poor physical health and autism which goes some way to explain why average life expectancy of severe autism or ASD 3 is around 36. ASD 2 around 56.

I know increasing tackling ID won’t make physical problems go away but it might make life experience richer.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00617/full

- George Bernie Shaw