Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:39 am

Why We Need a Neurodiverse Philosophy of Autistic Happiness

Quote:
Autism has been historically construed as being mutually exclusive with happiness and success. Philosophers and researchers Robert Chapman and Havi Carel bring the paradox of autistic thriving to light and reevaluate what it means to experience the “good human life.”

Chapman and Carel unpack the types of injustices that people with autism face—primarily how people with autism have their intelligence or autonomy discounted in social and medical interactions. Then they look at “Autism’s Catch-22,” wherein people with autism are expected to fall in line with a prototypical view of autistic struggling, and if they don’t, they are seen as “not autistic.” With all this in mind, the authors aim to find ways to reframe autism and autistic thriving so that the injustices they face can be remedied.

“Importantly, autism slightly differs from many cases of disability insofar as autistic people do tend to have low levels of wellbeing,” Chapman and Carel write.

“Specific disabilities are associated with low wellbeing if they are associated with high levels of stigma or greatly impaired functioning. With this in mind, it’s vital to consider that how autistic voices have consistently argued that any impediment to autistic wellbeing and functioning is best understood in terms of social barriers, marginalization, stigma, and exclusion. For instance, Milton and Sims found that a key reason autistic people attributed to hindering their wellbeing was barriers to belonging, rather than simply their being autistic.”

Critical scholars and activists have argued that the medical deficit view of autism makes it out to be intrinsically at odds with happiness and success, and this is how people with autism are often unjustly stripped of their ability to represent themselves.

For instance, Autism Speaks has been offered as an example of an organization that “combats” autism, as though it were an opponent in a battle, all the while touting people with autism as tokens, and rarely if ever letting them offer testimony to their own lives and well-being. In this way, organizations such as Autism Speaks have been connected to a larger Autism Industrial Complex, a centralization of techniques used to combat autism and generate profit by recycling fear-monger narratives and preying upon families.

However, the conclusions that have led us to the medical deficit view are based upon what Dr. Sami Timimi has referred to as “scientism,” or the use of jargon and non-definitive language that yields definitions and categories. This, in turn, decreases the perceived credibility, self-awareness, and/or reliability as narrators of autistic people—evinced in the view that people with autism are “mind-blind.” As a result, people with autism have their narratives taken away from them, and as Chapman and Carel point out, any person with autism who is too capable is then labeled a phony.

The authors point to two primary forms of injustice that people with autism face: epistemic injustice and hermeneutical injustice. Epistemic injustice is a denial of intelligence, and it discounts one’s capacity for self-representation. Hermeneutical injustice is the shuffling and obfuscation of collective testimony or community voices. A community suffering from hermeneutical injustice is being intentionally hidden or talked over. In this case, the authors find that people with autism suffer from both of these injustices.

”For instance, [David] Mitchell (2017) reports that when he helped translate and publicize the book of autistic writer Naoki Higashida, they were beset by accusations that the voice could not be “genuine” because, for instance, the prose was too articulate, and the author used metaphor.”

Thus, the Catch-22 of autism: when a person with autism is too happy, too successful, or claims to be living the “good human life,” there can only be two possibilities. One, they are wrong—they are not living a good human life. Or two, they are not autistic.

The authors bring up four routes for the amelioration of this paradox. First, and perhaps most importantly, is the destruction of the medical deficit view of autism.

They also stress the importance of framing the good human life in non-comparative terms.

Chapman and Carel continue by pointing out how autistic self-understanding and “neurotypical epistemic-humility” are core to the relativization of the good human life. To give voice back to people with autism, they must be encouraged and supported to interpret their own experiences. Simultaneously, neurotypical people must be willing to empathize with their experiences rather than dismiss them; a

Chapman, R., & Carel, H. (2021). Neurodiversity, Epistemic Injustice, and the Good Human Life [Forthcoming manuscript]. Journal of Social Philosophy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 9:49 am

Quote:
. . . "Autism’s Catch-22", wherein people with autism are expected to fall in line with a prototypical view of autistic struggling, and if they don’t, they are seen as "not autistic". . .
This has happened on this and other similar websites when people with any measure of success (i.e., jobs, girlfriends, homes of their own) have been falsely called out as "Neurotypical" or "Not Autistic Enough".

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:15 am

I was diagnosed shortly before the Pandemic began (and had other distractions in the time between my diagnosis and the Pandemic) so I really haven't had much opportunity to take my diagnosis out. But articles like the one above reinforce my suspicion that I might have been fortunate to not be diagnosed until I was 64.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 11:54 am

That is a interesting article. I have always felt autistic people (like myself) have a tendency to "beat themselves up" more. I do find it frustrating to think most mild autistic people can think circles around most NTs but we are still viewed as mentally deficient.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 7:28 am

I have never been able to experience "happiness", the best I can achieve is peaceful , a place where I am not afraid. I think some of this is due to childhood trauma. Autistic folk are notorious for having struggles with feelings, how to identify them and how to express them. I wonder how many others have never experienced the classical feeling of "happiness".

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2022, 8:23 am

Hm.
Something I already achieved as a young child. And that was before I went to school for the very first time.

It's definitely not what I get in teenage years.
But I'm hoping anytime at adulthood. I had a glimpse of it myself -- just for a short time.

I just don't have the words for it. :P
I already have my own version of "Autistic happiness"

It consists of freedom, one without pretense from social pressures. Even NTs yearn for that.
It also consists of one that inspires double empathy.

I'm sure others out there can dig out more.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2022, 7:51 pm

I've hit a lot of barriers like this, particularly in school. I hear a lot of 'you're and adult now, you're expected to be able to deal with this' (ah yes, I did not realize circling the sun 18 times would cure my executive functioning issues) or 'you're smart enough to know that' (well, smart or not I obviously DIDN'T know, so you should have told me anyway!)
My mom and I have this joke (and my joke I mean sardonically) since I can 'pass for normal'. I'm too autistic to be normal, but I'm not autistic enough to be autistic.
I've had a lot of people pay lip service to understanding that I'm autistic, but when I have an actual autistic problem, people around me act like I'm some kind of whiney, overly sensitive, special little snowflake. Because 'that doesn't bother anyone else' or 'that's nothing to be upset over' or 'we're all having trouble'. Like really? If a diabetic told you they needed to eat something now because of their blood sugar, would you tell them 'well we're all kind of hungry, you'll just have to deal with it'?