Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:03 am

The main issue as ever is people trying to speak above and impose their views on others who don’t accept those views.

For a start why are ND advocates at an autism scientific conference researching potential treatments?

Many proudly proclaim their autism is not a problem to be fixed, they don’t want treatments or a cure.

So again why are they there?

They want accommodations I.e help with jobs, free train passes and people to not discriminate against them.

So what has that got to do with people discussing genetic data and potential treatment paths?

Normally such things are dealt with through disability lobby groups and government channels, so again why would they go to a scientific conference?

It’s the same with the anti vax protestors that didn’t want the covid vaccine. Your gov gave you the option to opt out at your own risk in most cases, so you don’t have to take it so why are you against others who do want it.

If autistic people are happy with their condition they have no reason or right to interfere with those that choose a different path.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:36 am

carlos55 wrote:
The main issue as ever is people trying to speak above and impose their views on others who don’t accept those views.

For a start why are ND advocates at an autism scientific conference researching potential treatments?

Many proudly proclaim their autism is not a problem to be fixed, they don’t want treatments or a cure.

They want accommodations I.e help with jobs, free train passes and people to not discriminate against them.

So what has that got to do with people discussing genetic data and potential treatment paths?

Normally such things are dealt with through disability lobby groups and government channels, so again why would they go to a scientific conference?

It’s the same with the anti vax protestors that didn’t want the covid vaccine. Your gov gave you the option to opt out at your own risk in most cases, so you don’t have to take it so why are you against others who do want it.

If autistic people are happy with their condition they have no reason or right to interfere with those that choose a different path.

A lot of them want to change the priority of the research from why people are autistic to how to help autistics now.

Scientific consensus helps determine government priorities so if you want to change government priorities that is an important place to go.

The problem the article is centered on is not that researchers do not want autistic input. If they did not you would not have so many studies using questioners. It is that these researchers being called eugenicists and Nazis both on twitter and in person.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

A lot of them want to change the priority of the research from why people are autistic to how to help autistics now.

Scientific consensus helps determine government priorities so if you want to change government priorities that is an important place to go.

The problem the article is centered on is not that researchers do not want autistic input. If they did not you would not have so many studies using questioners. It is that these researchers being called eugenicists and Nazis both on twitter and in person.

A similar thing was mentioned by Mona on a previous article however such arguments make little logic.

These are scientists that research brain disorders and genetic science.

They went to university for many years passed lots of exams to do what they do

So they are not responsible for free train passes or help with getting jobs.

Protesting about government accommodations at a scientific conference is like someone here protesting about wheel chair access on the London subway at the local doctors surgery.

Researching brain disorders is what they do for a job and obviously for some autism is a serious brain disorder.

Again people trying to boss others around with different views. There was a small protest outside SBC center over 100k.

They obviously didn’t want to take part so why are they there? Did anyone put a gun to their head and demand a dna test, no

They just want to dictate and control others with different views that’s all this is about

If people want accommodations as we all do there are proper places to go for that without stepping onto other peoples toes in the process

- George Bernie Shaw

Dvdz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2023, 5:55 pm

carlos55 wrote:
A similar thing was mentioned by Mona on a previous article however such arguments make little logic.

Protesting about government accommodations at a scientific conference is like someone here protesting about wheel chair access on the London subway at the local doctors surgery.

Researching brain disorders is what they do for a job and obviously for some autism is a serious brain disorder.

Again people trying to boss others around with different views. There was a small protest outside SBC center over 100k.

They obviously didn’t want to take part so why are they there? Did anyone put a gun to their head and demand a dna test, no

They just want to dictate and control others with different views that’s all this is about

If people want accommodations as we all do there are proper places to go for that without stepping onto other peoples toes in the process

Gotta understand that to ND, autism is something they are born with and will be what they are for their whole lives (i.e. an identity), so all these genetic research to find causes and to prevent autism is akin to eugenics for them. And if you truly believe that people are out there doing eugenics and genocide, why wouldn't you go to conferences and shout them down? Going on Twitter and calling them out would be the least you could do.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 6:43 am

great articles and comments, thanks.
I'll throw my 2 cents in too.
People will always disagree, sometimes good can come out of diverse opinions and beliefs. People working on the same problems in multiple ways are likely to come up with more answers than if everybody agreed on everything.
Wherever there are 2 or more people there will be disagreements and "politics" .
Its more about human nature, in the summary of it all, than it is anything else.
Watching with interest.

thanks for these posts

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 11:07 am

autisticelders wrote:
great articles and comments, thanks.
I'll throw my 2 cents in too.
People will always disagree, sometimes good can come out of diverse opinions and beliefs. People working on the same problems in multiple ways are likely to come up with more answers than if everybody agreed on everything.
Wherever there are 2 or more people there will be disagreements and "politics" .
Its more about human nature, in the summary of it all, than it is anything else.
Watching with interest.

thanks for these posts

You are welcome.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 11:32 am

Dvdz wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Gotta understand that to ND, autism is something they are born with and will be what they are for their whole lives (i.e. an identity), so all these genetic research to find causes and to prevent autism is akin to eugenics for them. And if you truly believe that people are out there doing eugenics and genocide, why wouldn't you go to conferences and shout them down? Going on Twitter and calling them out would be the least you could do.

Firstly for genocide to occur a human needs to be alive

Secondly curing medical disorders or disability is not classed as eugenics otherwise we wouldn’t have progressed in health care since the Middle Ages

Thirdly talk of preventing disability automatically means abortion is incorrect too

If these people were genuinely motivated by anti abortion or religious reasons I could probably respect that but they seem only motivated by the preserving of some sort of false loose identity based on ego reasons.

These people are also misguided on the identity issue

There is no real autism identity because autism was never meant to be the final diagnosis when it was first used in the 1940’s.

Fragile x used to be autism now it’s not. Last year Chopra-Amiel-Gordon syndrome was autism too now it’s not.

There are multiple numbers of conditions that used to be autism, still recognized for meeting the criteria of autism but the person is not called that anymore.

This will continue until “autism” is no more.

Maybe by the year 2060 they’ll be a tiny percentage of what was originally autism recognized as not really a disability and more a natural difference but I suspect this will be small and most of those people protesting would not have been in it anyway.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:23 pm

Aborting fetuses based on expected genetic outcome is eugenics. I don’t think it will be a Nazi repeat or government mandate. Like with Down’s Syndrome now it would be a choice of the mother. That is why it is called “Consumer Eugenics”. It is questionable that this will happen in Autism or particular Autisms because of the complications involved. If it is to happen it will be though CRISPR technology which works on multiple genes at one time.

You may not call it attempted genocide but the during eugenics heyday a century ago a main motivator was racism. The inferior stock that they wanted eliminated was immigrents.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 12:59 pm

Some of us are Autistic but are not disabled by it. And Autism is not understood well enough to know why some are disabled and some are not. I believe anything that might've prevented me is a bad idea.

And I do not want to be cured. I just want my Autism to be accepted and it would be great if people and organizations allowed for the difference. If you "cured" my Autism I would no longer be me.

My bride was born a lefty. Her born-in-Europe grandmother thought left-handedness was wrong and worked to cure my bride when she was very young through forcing her to do things with her right-hand.

Her grandmother did "cure" my bride. My bride is no longer a lefty. She is now a clumsy.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 1:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aborting fetuses based on expected genetic outcome is eugenics. I don’t think it will be a Nazi repeat or government mandate. Like with Down’s Syndrome now it would be a choice of the mother. That is why it is called “Consumer Eugenics”. It is questionable that this will happen in Autism or particular Autisms because of the complications involved. If it is to happen it will be though CRISPR technology which works on multiple genes at one time.

You may not call it attempted genocide but the during eugenics heyday a century ago a main motivator was racism. The inferior stock that they wanted eliminated was immigrents.

Or maybe they`ll just fix the individual gene or problem that causes the disability through genetic editing or some other treatment.

Allowing someone to live a full life independently free of undue stress, see the world, where they are not at the mercy of NT`s and the decisions made for them where they have very little self determination because of their disability.

There`s already plenty of genocide for autistic people at the moment, have you ever checked out the life expectancy of being autistic.

- George Bernie Shaw

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 1:53 pm

I would not've wanted my genes adjusted to erase the Autism.

Yes, the Allistic world is stressful for me but I've done reasonably well. Better than many NTs.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2023, 1:54 pm

Whith what I’ve been through the past 65 years:

A bipolar mother (never diagnosed)
A narcissistic, tyrannical father
Physical, emotional, and sexual abuse by 3 different girl gangs in the town where I grew up.
Bullying by my brothers and most of my relatives on both sides of the family.
Bullying by classmates and teachers.
Being told that I have no rights by my parents and relatives.
Had difficulty holding a job for any extended amount of time.

Is it any wonder I’m paranoid, suffer PTSD, suffer depression and have thoughts of suicide?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:07 pm

With exception to autism caused by possible denovo mutations unfortunately natural eugenics already exists.

Very few autistic men go on to have children so their genes are not passed on

In the future whole genome sequencing will be very cheap. You can already get one done by Dante labs for around $300 (they have an autism report)

https://dantelabs.com/products/whole-genome-sequencing

https://dantelabs.com/products/autism-panel

It will be normal for everyone including couples to carry out genetic testing. Then you’ll likely have genetic love matching and the inevitable genetic mismatch with the likelihood of disability in children.

So society will probably have to choose between genetic editing with gives everyone the same opportunity or you’ll have a genetic underclass

This is inevitable and bigger than us or autism or anything in general it’s unlikely this will not happen in the future

In fact it’s already happened

https://dantelabs.com/pages/family-planning

- George Bernie Shaw

Last edited by carlos55 on 28 Jan 2023, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 2:21 pm

The worst place for the self appointed (against research), very domineering , 'autistic elite' is Twitter.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 5:41 am

carlos55 wrote:
There`s already plenty of genocide for autistic people at the moment, have you ever checked out the life expectancy of being autistic.

I posted articles about our short our shortened life expectancy. That is not a result of a plan to eliminate us being carried out so it is not genocide.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 6:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

I posted articles about our short our shortened life expectancy. That is not a result of a plan to eliminate us being carried out so it is not genocide.

Metaphorically speaking

The end result is the same autistic people usually die young and don't usually pass on their genes. So autistic people have and are being wiped out in large numbers through physical health conditions tied to other genetic errors, accidents, suicide or poor self care.

It could be concluded that being autistic is very dangerous to health.

So natural eugenics and genocide already exist but these protestors are trying to damage the very thing that is trying to help them over an identity based on kanner`s "don't know what the hell that is so ill just give it a name and they`ll blame refrigerator mothers" miscellaneous category of psychology.

Not very logical :( :roll:

- George Bernie Shaw