Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2023, 8:35 pm

he Ellon beer giant's co-founder and CEO was told he had autism and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) after seeking out help when he was described as 'semi-autistic' by a journalist.

Quote:
BrewDog boss James Watt has revealed he is autistic after being diagnosed at the age of 40.

The Ellon beer giant's co-founder and CEO was said he had been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) after seeking out help when he was described as 'semi-autistic' by a journalist.

The comment was made amid allegations of sexism and bullying by former members of the BrewDog workforce, who branded the craft beer firm's culture 'toxic'. Watt denied the claims but admitted making mistakes at the company's helm.

Announcing the diagnosis, he said: "I have always struggled with anything emotional and I am terrible with social cues. I have always needed significant amounts of time by myself to be able to function well as a human.

"I would often be more terrified in simple social settings than I would be facing huge storms in my days on the high seas of the north Atlantic. I have always accepted these character imperfections and viewed them as a kind of trade off with other characteristics - my analytical ability, my work ethic and my ability to focus on tasks like a demented mother f****r.

"‘It’s just how I am’ is pretty much what I always thought. That was until a passing comment from a journalist me set me on the most interesting of journeys.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman