The Neurodiversity Movement: Confusing Illness with Stigma?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 9:52 am

Psychiatric Times
Dr Morehead is a psychiatrist and director of training for the general psychiatry residency at Tufts Medical Center in Boston. He frequently speaks as an advocate for mental health and is author of Science Over Stigma: Education and Advocacy for Mental Health, published by the American Psychiatric Association

Quote:
In 30 years of psychiatry, I have frequently been in doubt about the true nature of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Is it an illness? Is it simply a variation of normal? Is it a problem in our culture that might not be a problem in other cultures? The source of my doubt, I suspect, is that individuals just seem to ‘be wired that way.’ ADHD, it seems, is heavily influenced by genetics,1 and some individuals just seem wired to be more spontaneous, more distractable, more open to the next thing, and less able to keep themselves focused on things they find boring or tedious. It is just how they are.

Maybe ‘how they are’ would have been less of a problem in premodern times, when being open and exploratory may have been an advantage more than a hindrance. In premodern times, we did not ask children to sit in school for 6 hours a day doing work that would bore adults, nor did we ask adults to stare at screens and do mind-numbing tasks for 9 hours a day. Perhaps ADHD is just a mismatch between the demands of our current world and the nature of the world for which we evolved.2 Perhaps it is not a disease at all.

Yet I cannot fully bring myself to believe that ADHD is not an illness. For one thing, clinical experience proves otherwise. Once I worked with a patient who was about to be fired from his job in spite of working until late into the night to get his work done. Meanwhile, his partner was preparing to divorce him because he completely neglected the relationship in an effort to save his job. This person’s life was transformed by treatment, which saved both his job and his relationship, and brought him a kind of happiness he had never experienced

This brings us to the topic of neurodiversity. Neurodiversity is the idea that such neurodevelopmental conditions as ADHD and (especially) autism spectrum are not illnesses or even disorders.

In its strongest form, neurodiversity tells us that neurodevelopmental ‘disorders’ are not disorders or illnesses at all. They are really just normal parts of human diversity, as normal as different ethnicities, sexes, and sexual preferences. No one should try to ‘cure’ autism any more than one should try to ‘cure’ someone of being Black. Instead, societies need to stop excluding and pathologizing individuals who are different—in this case, who are neurocognitively diverse.

If the extreme form of neurodiversity is true, then a psychiatrist treating autism amounts to the same thing as a psychiatrist attempting to ‘cure’ someone from being gay, as psychiatrists did before the 1970s. By this logic, psychiatrists who diagnose and treat autism spectrum disorder are patronizing and pathologizing individuals just for being different, just for being divergent. “We don’t have a disease,” as one student at an Asperger’s School put it, “so we can’t be ‘cured.’”

As with moderate and severe forms of ADHD, I am convinced from both science and personal experience that moderate to severe forms of autism spectrum disorder represent a true medical condition. For that matter, I would guess that most mild forms of the disorder do as well. Of course, knowing where to draw the precise line for such neurocognitive and neurodevelopmental disorders may be humanly impossible. Where, after all, does normal human inattentiveness end and ADHD begin? Where does normal human geekiness (lack of social awareness and obsessive, narrow interests) end, and autism spectrum begin?

The work of advocacy today is not to deny the existence of well-researched illnesses, but to permanently rid those illnesses of the stigma that has traditionally accompanied them. Similarly, the work of advocacy is not to decide if this or that person has an illness—this is an individual decision made by patients and their families when they consult with clinicians. The work of advocacy is to make sure that everyone with an illness is treated with complete acceptance, compassion, and support.

I wonder if proponents of neurodiversity and psychiatrists might both agree to the following: What if we imagine a world in in which no one looks down on neurocognitive and neurodevelopmental conditions, a world in which those conditions are both accepted and treated, and we work together to make that kind of world a reality?

This is a more thoughtful and nuance then your usual “Autism Wars” opinion column. It was good that he pointed out he was talking about the “extreme” part of the ND movement.

Unfortunately he parried that seemingly unbreakable belief that the ND movement is against all treatments. I have never seen that including “woke” ND movement supporters.

We can imagine a world without stigma, but the real world we live in does not resemble the one John Lennon so elegantly wished for.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 2:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unfortunately he parried that seemingly unbreakable belief that the ND movement is against all treatments. I have never seen that including “woke” ND movement supporters.

There is no central ND movement maybe ASAN which is a small office somewhere staffed by just a few people.

The extremist ND movement is largely a hive mind of like minded followers, many navigate their orwellian language of contradictions, catch 22`s and doublespeak.

They don't want a cure but want treatments? probably for the comorbidity? the thing is the comorbidity are part of that particular autism, so come as part of the package, some autisms effect more than just brain & behaviour, like intelligence and co-ordination for example.

They don't see autism as a disorder but supposedly want treatment for it

They don't see it as a disorder but need it to be a disorder to get help they need

They admit its a disorder when they need help like welfare or carers but undermine the very claim separately publicly when they can

They claim the whole spectrum but don't like it when more disabled autistics are revealed publicly

They claim autism as a single thing but there is and never was an autism just a container label of lots of different things that seem to overlap in places

I agree with the author though there shouldn't be any stigma with having a brain condition or illness.

- George Bernie Shaw

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 4:50 pm

carlos55 wrote:
They don't want a cure but want treatments?

They want treatments for specific issues, but not attempts to "cure autism" as a totality.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 7:01 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
They don't want a cure but want treatments?

They want treatments for specific issues, but not attempts to "cure autism" as a totality.

Genes affects multiple things in the body as a whole.

Non autism gene Dock 8 causes ID and causes fatal physical illness

Autism genes are no different so the co morbidly is part of the package of that particular autism that person has.

This is why the massive order of magnitude difference increase between the same co-morbid in ASD to those who are NT

It’s only separated because autism science is still not able to totally subtype the various autisms and it’s sometimes possible to reduce some separate symptoms superficially like adhd drugs that are not a solution for example and come with the usual long term side effects.

- George Bernie Shaw

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 7:13 am

I don't want to be "cured". Except maybe have my sensory issues removed.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 12:12 am

Having read the post now, I like it. There is some movement to accept neurodivergent conditions as "just a neurotype, not a disorder". The Dr who diagnosed me as autistic actually seems to fall into that camp. Personally I do not - I think it's both a disorder and a neurotype.
(I wouldn't call it an illness, I'm not sick. A sickness can be cured. Autism is a condition that will never go away. It is an intrinsic part of me.)

I personally have not heard of anyone being against any and all treatment. ADHD is highly treatable and people objectively do better when they follow that treatment.
There isn't so much you can do for autism, aside from like.... stuff like speech therapy and controversial "treatments" like ABA. And that's more teaching skills than it is anything else. Aside from doing that, you really can only accommodate autism. There is no magic pill that will make you less autistic.

Heck, even learning disabilities (which are part of the neurodivergent spectrum) .... they aren't really treatable in the sense that you can take meds and they'll go away. You might be able to learn ways to deal with them more easily, but that's about it.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 8:56 am

colliegrace wrote:
Having read the post now, I like it. There is some movement to accept neurodivergent conditions as "just a neurotype, not a disorder". The Dr who diagnosed me as autistic actually seems to fall into that camp. Personally I do not - I think it's both a disorder and a neurotype.
(I wouldn't call it an illness, I'm not sick. A sickness can be cured. Autism is a condition that will never go away. It is an intrinsic part of me.)

I personally have not heard of anyone being against any and all treatment. ADHD is highly treatable and people objectively do better when they follow that treatment.
There isn't so much you can do for autism, aside from like.... stuff like speech therapy and controversial "treatments" like ABA. And that's more teaching skills than it is anything else. Aside from doing that, you really can only accommodate autism. There is no magic pill that will make you less autistic.

Heck, even learning disabilities (which are part of the neurodivergent spectrum) .... they aren't really treatable in the sense that you can take meds and they'll go away. You might be able to learn ways to deal with them more easily, but that's about it.

People can talk all day about whether a subjective condition or behaviour is a disorder or not

The "disorder" of autism can be seen if you zoom in on the genetic level.

We all have genes that are there to do a job, sometimes they work as a group with other genes to do a bigger job.

An analogy is a fault on a car that still allows the car to drive but it may not perform well, like accelerate or change gear properly

Where there is a mutation the gene is no longer able to do that job (maybe make a protein) causing illness or disability. So a mutated gene if its big enough to cause a problem is a disorder by definition, just like a blown transistor on a car ECU is a fault.

If you pick two well known autism genes for example SYNGAP1 & SHANK3 you can read what they basically do and how it would be a disorder if there was a problem with them. That logic can probably be repeated for all autism genes identified.

Of course some autisms may not be genetic but rather things like autoimmune problems which are even more of a disorder from the pre genetic age point of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYNGAP1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHANK3

I heard an expert say some people were born with high potential, a disorder pushes them back a bit into a normal range giving the illusion they never had a disorder in the first place or making it invisible. Others are less lucky they had normal potential but what they had pushes them back into the sub normal range. This is probably what is going on with autism.

I believe what Dr Morehead is saying in the article that most of this denial of disorder stems from the stigma of having autism or other Neuro developmental disorders.

If they can remove the stigma then people would be less motivated to spread fake science of denying an obvious thing.

- George Bernie Shaw

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 10:01 pm

Remember "mutation" is not necessarily a negative thing. They can cause problems but are also the driver of evolution. If ASD is really on the increase it could just be evolution right before our eyes. Of course evolution is a messy business and many of us (with ASD) will not have a net advantage in this rapidly changing world.

Think of it this way, if we could "cure" all mutations in all life forms we would be halting evolution in it's tracks. Certainly that would be the doom of this thing we call "life on earth".

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:50 am

CarlM wrote:
Remember "mutation" is not necessarily a negative thing. They can cause problems but are also the driver of evolution. If ASD is really on the increase it could just be evolution right before our eyes. Of course evolution is a messy business and many of us (with ASD) will not have a net advantage in this rapidly changing world.

Think of it this way, if we could "cure" all mutations in all life forms we would be halting evolution in it's tracks. Certainly that would be the doom of this thing we call "life on earth".

Yes that’s why they zoom in even more to see if the mutation is harmful or not.

Potentially harmful is labelled “pathogenic” non harmful is labelled “benign”.

There’s many where the impact is unknown as the science is still in its infancy.

But they know many of the pathogenic ones.

For example the link below is the map of mutations on autism gene SYNGAP1 whether they effect the genes functioning or not.

https://databases.lovd.nl/shared/variants

https://clinvarminer.genetics.utah.edu/ ... pathogenic

- George Bernie Shaw

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 9:02 am

I agree with the article. While it is nuanced, it's essentially saying that a disorder is a disorder, even if you give it another name. Personally, I object to not calling a condition that causes significant difficulties a "disorder". It feels like a euphemism to call it a "difference", as if there was shame in admitting that one has a disorder so it's better to give it a more palatable name.

What if we extended that thinking to all mental and developmental disorders and just said that none are disorders, just differences? Where would that leave all the people who need help, including people with ASD and ADHD? So many are already being blamed for the behaviors they exhibit that are actually due to their disorder and being disbelieved that there is something serious that they are suffering from. Not calling these disorders "disorders" takes a huge step backwards in the struggle for society to recognize that mental, developmental, an neurological disorders are real illnesses that need to be taken seriously and treated medically by competent professionals.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 11:17 am

bee33 wrote:
I agree with the article. While it is nuanced, it's essentially saying that a disorder is a disorder, even if you give it another name. Personally, I object to not calling a condition that causes significant difficulties a "disorder". It feels like a euphemism to call it a "difference", as if there was shame in admitting that one has a disorder so it's better to give it a more palatable name.

What if we extended that thinking to all mental and developmental disorders and just said that none are disorders, just differences? Where would that leave all the people who need help, including people with ASD and ADHD? So many are already being blamed for the behaviors they exhibit that are actually due to their disorder and being disbelieved that there is something serious that they are suffering from. Not calling these disorders "disorders" takes a huge step backwards in the struggle for society to recognize that mental, developmental, an neurological disorders are real illnesses that need to be taken seriously and treated medically by competent professionals.

An illness needs to be cured and that is that. The intent behind the perceived benign word “difference” and the perceived more flexible word “condition” is precisely to make disorders more palatable for the purpose of acceptance.

Most people with a disorder want to be cured of it. Autism is different in that most(not all) Autistics at least here view their difficulties both being caused by Autism directly and societies view of autistic behaviors/presentation. Outside of behaviors that are dangerous to oneself or others I feel reluctant to cede these judgment calls to medical proffessionals.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
An illness needs to be cured and that is that. The intent behind the perceived benign word “difference” and the perceived more flexible word “condition” is precisely to make disorders more palatable for the purpose of acceptance.

Most people with a disorder want to be cured of it. Autism is different in that most(not all) Autistics at least here view their difficulties both being caused by Autism directly and societies view of autistic behaviors/presentation. Outside of behaviors that are dangerous to oneself or others I feel reluctant to cede these judgment calls to medical proffessionals.
Yes, I think that's a valid perspective.

However, if I had to choose, I would support the view that societal acceptance has to come from demanding to be recognized as we are (whatever that may mean to each of us), and not by sugarcoating our disabilities to make them more palatable.

As an aside, very few illnesses, whether in the brain or elsewhere, can be cured. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, just to name a few, are common conditions that are considered illnesses by everyone, but no one is cured of them (with cancer there's remission but it's not a sure thing). Just because something cannot be cured is not a test for whether or not it should be labeled a disorder.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:39 pm

bee33 wrote:
As an aside, very few illnesses, whether in the brain or elsewhere, can be cured. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, just to name a few, are common conditions that are considered illnesses by everyone, but no one is cured of them (with cancer there's remission but it's not a sure thing). Just because something cannot be cured is not a test for whether or not it should be labeled a disorder.

Fair.

I don't at all have a problem calling autism and other neurodiversities disorders. I think their status as disorders is very important for our wellbeing and treatment or accommodation, and removing that status would be harmful.

I still wouldn't call them illnesses. That word just has a different connotation to me. Disorders, yes. Disabilities, absolutely. But not illnesses.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:00 pm

The word "condition" is short for "medical condition", illness doesn't sound right.

ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder is probably the correct way in my view.

bee33 wrote:

Agree that is basically what the article is about if there wasn't any shame in acknowledging something as a disorder there would be no need to sugar-coat things with fake science and denying reality.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:28 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The word "condition" is short for "medical condition", illness doesn't sound right.

ASD or Autism Spectrum Disorder is probably the correct way in my view.

bee33 wrote:

Agree that is basically what the article is about if there wasn't any shame in acknowledging something as a disorder there would be no need to sugar-coat things with fake science and denying reality.

But there is shame and negative judgements because unlike cancer or heart disease Autism is defined by behaviors and people judge those more than they do physical disorders. This creates the damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation we are in. Go too far with acceptance and Autistics get judged as lazy, rude, defiant losers. Go back to the purely medical view and people will receive harmful treatments and treatments they don’t want. People who don’t want treat their illness will be viewed as mentally ill by many segments of society.

It is going to be quite difficult to thread the needle to find the right balance.