WHERE: Horning's Hideout
21277 NW Brunswick
Canyon Rd.
North Plains, OR 97133
Just 30 min. from Portland

Look at the Site: www.HorningsHideout.com

Go to the Website!! http://www.rockina.org/

The Mission
The Rockin’ “A” Autism Benefit Music FestABLE seeks to provide a recreational experience that raises awareness of not only the existence of autism but of the voices, culture, and needs of the autistic community. A virtually unprecedented level of accommodation, created in a spirit of self-advocacy and alter-able pride, will demonstrate a revolutionary working model of inclusion, a FestABLE in the truest sense of the word.

For More Information Please Contact

Sunshine at
[email protected]
or

Matt at
[email protected]

Last edited by sinsboldly on 19 Sep 2009, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seebert
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2009, 12:48 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
A virtually unprecedented level of accommodation, created in a spirit of self-advocacy and alter-able pride, will demonstrate a revolutionary working model of inclusion, a FestABLE in the truest sense of the word.

So what does this mean? Will there be a cool-down tent for those who get sensory overload? Will there be sensdep tanks for rent? Will there be a supervised play area to dump NT children and NT spouses and keep them from nagging the AC to leave? I'd like details before I shell out $75 for tickets for my family.....only to find I'm unable to use them because my NT but CP son needs a diaper change or worse yet gets bored and begs to leave, or if the music and crowd are so stimulative that it triggers one of my infamous migraines to the point that I need three hours in the sensdep tank just to be able to drive home.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 12:56 pm

seebert wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
A virtually unprecedented level of accommodation, created in a spirit of self-advocacy and alter-able pride, will demonstrate a revolutionary working model of inclusion, a FestABLE in the truest sense of the word.

So what does this mean? Will there be a cool-down tent for those who get sensory overload? Will there be sensdep tanks for rent? Will there be a supervised play area to dump NT children and NT spouses and keep them from nagging the AC to leave? I'd like details before I shell out $75 for tickets for my family.....only to find I'm unable to use them because my NT but CP son needs a diaper change or worse yet gets bored and begs to leave, or if the music and crowd are so stimulative that it triggers one of my infamous migraines to the point that I need three hours in the sensdep tank just to be able to drive home.

sorry I didn't make it clear

For More Information Please Contact

Sunshine at
[email protected]
or

Matt at
[email protected]

seebert
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

The answer I got:
There will be no sensdep tank, though that is a very interesting idea. There will be cooldown tents, both a larger one and some private small tenst. My son who is six and a half with severe autism is also not fully bathroom trained and so the first accomodation I put on our list was private diapering station with showers. Another thing you should know about the venue, is that it is over three hundred acres with camping sites as isolated or more from other campers as most campgrounds and far away from the noise and the music. This is a chance to experience some of the magic of music festivals while still maintaining some of the quiet and distance that many folks on the spectrum need. Thanks for the ideas and your concerns.

This makes this music festival quite interesting to me, especially since we live in Beaverton and going home is an option. I'll have to discuss it with my NT wife, but it at least makes it possible for me to go.

Axon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Sep 2009, 1:06 am

I admire your effort and wish you all the best, but 'FestABLE'? Sorry, that's reeeally lame. It sounds like cheesy disability-speak, and I fear it may actually harm the success of the event. I'd leave the word 'Festival' as it is - you've already mentioned autism.