Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 8:10 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Sounds like a horror story.
So I decided to play the theme of the shower scene in psycho over it and it fitted perfectly.

"I am autism, I know where you live etc etc *SHING SHING SHING SHING....*"

How funny! :lol: :lol:

If you add the screaming from that particular scene,
it's even more perfect because it makes Autism Speaks
look like a bunch of psychotics.

IMForeman
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2009, 8:09 am

Does this remind anyone else of X-Men? And particularly the third movie? :(

Maybe someone should show those movies to the Autism speaks people.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:48 am

IMForeman, Yes in some ways, there are some similarities in how the characters have to deal with people whom seemingly don't understand autistm as a whole, nor do they fully comprehend the many people that make up the entire autistic spectrum either..

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:25 am

IMForeman wrote:

Wow, you're right.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2009, 8:00 pm

IMForeman wrote:

I was gonna suggest X-Men as well but I figured others would've found that out too.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 6:43 am

It reminded me of a zombie movie. I think they just got little kids, NT kids, to "act weird".

Or even if they did have legitimately spectrum kids, they probably forced them to "be more autistic"

And it sends a horrible "You're damaged! You're broken! but... WE'LL GET THROUGH THIS! *bites down on hand*" message. You're not damaged.

I wish one of the incredibly well-known and obvious aspies, like Gates, Spielberg, Lucas (?) would come back with a "Hey. Shut up." commercial.

EDIT: Ah. I finally got the Youtube rebuttal and saw that it was the Dan Marino foundation so it was someone (although he doesn't personally have it, but at least the name makes people pay attention) telling people to listen.

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2009, 7:31 pm

MizLiz wrote:
EDIT: Ah. I finally got the Youtube rebuttal and saw that it was the Dan Marino foundation so it was someone (although he doesn't personally have it, but at least the name makes people pay attention) telling people to listen.

The Dan Marino Foundation did it in cooperation with the ASAN.
Quote:
The "No Myths" PSA offers a refreshingly positive and optimistic view about life with autism. And it was written and performed by people who should know--individuals who are on the autism spectrum themselves. The purpose of the PSA is to tell society that, with the right supports, people with autism can do anything anybody else can do, even if it isn't in the same way. Ari Ne'eman, president of the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, leads a cast that includes {in order of appearance} Dena Gassner, Ben Liske, and Jacob Pratt.(nomyths.org)

There are a lot of similarities between the mutants (X-men) and the autistic spectrum. Both are genetic. They're expressed differently in each person. Some people get positive things, some get negative. Other people fear and hate them just because of who they are.
Also I came across this in the Wikipedia entry on Mutants:
Quote:
In his article Super Heroes, a Modern Mythology, Richard Reynolds writes, "Much of the appeal and draw of the mutants that comprise the X-Men has to do with feeling like an outcast while simultaneously feeling like part of a family. Mutants are ostracized because they are different but they bound together because of their differences. The may be forced together to a certain extent like “real” families but they are also a team. They differ from other teams such as the Justice League, which is like a meritocracy; only the best of the best join that team. In contrast, the X-Men is composed of outcasts. They train and nurture one another and are united by common goals and beliefs. ...the whole theme of the X-Men---the isolation of mutants and their alienation from "normal" society---be read as a parable of the alienation of any minority... of a minority grouping determined to force its own place within society."

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 6:17 pm

*low grumble*... damn Nazis.

Lung_Drac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2009, 10:06 pm

Boy, would I love to write my version of that video! It shall go something like this:

Autism Speaks: "I am a snot-nosed, pig-faced organization called Autism Speaks. I lie to everyone that bothers to listen to me, and I make a lot of profit while doing this. I make a lot of Autistic people and people with Aspergers angry. And you know what? I don't care because I'll benefit anyway. I will poison the minds of other normal people, and together, we will destroy Autism and other related diseases and disorders."

My Response: "Not unless we side with neurotypicals first. And when we do, you will go bankrupt. And when you go looking for more support and money, there will be nothing. You will die penniless and ally-less. And when you're buried, good and dead, everyone will dance your grave and egg, toilet paper, and throw feces on your tombstone."

Your Response: *insert your words here*

Who's with me?

Last edited by Lung_Drac on 21 Nov 2009, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 2:22 pm

Lung_Drac, I can fully relate to you as per what you've said but, I suppose I tend to be somewhat more methodical in my approach though, I admit that Autism Speaks reminds me of a bunch of Witch Hunters from the 1690's neverless..Lung_Drac we may have differing viewpoints on the matter but, we agree on this most upsetting topic neverless..

Lung_Drac

20 Nov 2009, 5:06 pm

ProfessorX wrote:
Lung_Drac, I can fully relate to you as per what you've said but, I suppose I tend to be somewhat more methodical in my approach though, I admit that Autism Speaks reminds me of a bunch of Witch Hunters from the 1690's neverless..Lung_Drac we may have differing viewpoints on the matter but, we agree on this most upsetting topic neverless..

Ah, I wasn't being really serious. Whenever I think of something, it isn't methodical. Still, I don't want to lie down while Autism Speaks profits from turning neurotypicals against us all. If I ever had a purpose in life, it might be that I could help with tearing Autism Speaks down.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 10:30 am

If I ever had a purpose in life, it might be that I could help with tearing Autism Speaks down.[/quote]

Yes, my sentiments as well... :)