Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

I can relate to him in many ways.

he's adorable when he calls his mum mummy

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 2:06 pm

I uploaded those a week or so ago. I forgot to post them here.

I could relate to him alot too. He seems like an amazingly interesting kid. I don't understand why anyone would give him a hard time. Though the boy who befriended was great. If only more teenagers where that accepting and right thinking.

The scenario in the supermarket over the logic of pre-made icecubes was quite funny. His Mum was so patient! She reminds me of mine. :lol:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Sola
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2009, 4:24 pm

He is SO! cool.......

Thanks for sharing it!

Sola

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:47 pm

I wonder how many NT's were there actually to support him, as opposed be in a movie. As for the film, it made me cry...

rennabella
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2009, 10:19 am

he is so similar to me it's scary. i was the same completely, i had to see an educational psychiatrist at school too. no one knew what was wrong with me.

but i am far far better than he is now. it's because i was sent to boarding school and basically it really just forced me to sort myself out a bit.

haha, the supermarket bit is similar to what i do when i go shopping with my mom. i always tell her she is being illogical.

i'm glad i am a lot better now.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2009, 7:42 pm

I guess any coverage of the condition, within reason of course, is good; however, the documentary perpetuates the myth of AS and high IQ.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 1:22 pm

That was really interesting, and I too see a lot of my own behavior exhibited in this kid. One parellell here is reuben's reaction to the crowd at the soccer match. Many of the times that I've found myself at concerts or other events with huges crowds is that I find myself observing other people and wondering how I'm supposed to act, and then clue in on non-human things such as the clock/scoreboards, advertising, and in a few instances the LED Level Indicators on the racks of amplification as musicians onstage play. Even though I am in a crowd of people interacting with each other, I am in a sense, alone because my focus is on other things around me, in the same way that Reuben noticed that a group of other people on the other side of the field were all wearing blue jeans

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 2:12 pm

was really interesting, i like the little sign on his door in first part saying automatic door-push to open, hehe yea that is sounding alittle ilogical, but its because the way the door opener was made, doors that have that sign acutally assist in the opening force by using a motor to help you push agaisnt the strong spring to get the door open, some also have a wall button to push to allow it to operate as a fully automatic door,

fogman: about the LED's on amplifier, when i had homeroom in a long distance conference room in high school, we had a nice rack server in there that did control voice and video transmission between the high school and other schools that were connected at the time with their video rooms, each time i talked or someone made a noise i was able to notice the lights move of course it was disconnected from internet and camera burned off but still picked up sound but wasn't able to transmit it anywhere.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 4:20 pm

8O
I've mentioned this boy in another thread (Member's Only Section).

I've mentioned this idea before but:

NT room: full of posters and items associated with social/group experiences/team activities, football and music posters,

AS room: filled items pertaining to solitary and intellectually stimulating activities, puzzles, games, books, computer hardware, gadgetry. Usually more cluttered with objects

I've had friends who resembled Rueben in so many ways, but they were female *gasp* 8O. They were brilliant at technical subjects like Maths/Science/IT They all had puzzles and nick-nacks in their rooms. Some were bespectacled. Some had emotional issues/difficulty dealing with crowds. I kid you not: there are even whole families like this. I've even given people like this puzzles and executive toys/items to fiddle with. Oh I've got one of those spinning things, it was given to me as a present 8O.

My room is like this boy's only a million times messier.
I can't move for all the books, gadgetry and clutter.
Oh and I have more educational posters than him so nah! :P

Honestly, some of the relatives and people I used to know make this boy seem like a mild case. But they were never labeled.

This is so scary.

I don't even like football or support a team: our family never has.

Yet people act like I've spoken against God every time I say:
"I'm not that interested in football and I don't support a team."

I've never felt like an "alien".
I just thought that other people were boring for talking about football all the time.

I don't honestly see anything "odd" or "wrong" with Rueben at all.
His highly social football fanatic friend would seem "odd" to my family though.

Why are AS character traits pathologised?
There's nothing "wrong" with me or this boy: it's just how we are.
To be brutally honest, most of my family are a little bit like this.
I honestly find the word "disordered" highly offensive because we are not disordered: we're human beings and we don't go around rioting.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

The shopping center is dead on in regards to me, other than the constant questioning (I don't talk as much as he does to his mother). As is the moods in high school (barring a lack of self-confidence; I've always known what I can and can't do).

The rest is a wish wash, as I don't have his drive to get along with people. But, the interest is there, as is the ability to recite stuff as if it were straight from a book.

Of note, his lack of interest in sport isn't due to his Asperger's; it's just him. Sport is a common interest for people with an ASD [compared to neurology in this person's case].

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 12:29 am

I'm not sure whether I should continue with this. in big letters it says "changing rueben" is this going to be all about changing him and making him "normal"??? if it is I won't watch.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 1:06 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I'm not sure whether I should continue with this. in big letters it says "changing rueben" is this going to be all about changing him and making him "normal"??? if it is I won't watch.

"Changing Rueben" a bad pun on "Changing Rooms", a second rate DIY and home decorating TV show.

It comments on how a so called "normal" boy's room differs from an AS boy's room.

It's stupid. I pick up the TV times and see all these horrible puns of shows unrelated to the actual show that's on, just because it sounds similar. Grrr... :twisted: what's happened to TV? It used to be all original, but now it's just shows ripping off of other shows. All these irrelevant cross references: someone make some original titles already!

I agree with you, he shouldn't have to change.
I think that other people should really change!

If he'd been at my school, he'd have been one of the first people I would have talked to: no joke. I used to talk to people like him on a fairly regular basis (including my family) and I didn't see anything "wrong" with them.

I'm kind of pleased that Rueben's friend taught him some football and took him out.
Football isn't really my cup of tea, but I do get the impression that Reuben wanted a taste of football action and "seeing how the other side live". I see no harm in that at all. Seen as a sort of "cultural exchange" I don't have any problems with the show.

It's kind of scary that Rueben's labeled though he's technically the smart one.

As for wanting to "fit in". That's a new one on me.
I've been completely oblivious to that idea all my life! 8O
I was actually quite shocked to hear that people wanted to fit in.
I mean how boring is that?
My family would think that was boring.
People surely can't be that shallow minded.
I've always wanted to stand out and belong at the same time.

My family never told me to "fit in". They kept saying things like:
"Do what you wanna do. If people criticise you, they're wrong. It's your life. You're an individual. If a job needs doing do it yourself. Don't always rely on others: they'll let you down. Some people are just idiots: just ignore them and get on with whatever has to be got on with."

As for Rueben's condition making it "harder to get on with people", I loled :lol:.
Some of my family don't "get on with people" as a general rule. They're whistle blowers, satirists and kvetchers. Cooperation is not in their vocabulary. It's their way or the highway. They're always right and everyone else is always "wrong". :lol:

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2009, 9:41 am

I still call my mom "mommy" :silent: