Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NelisMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jun 2010, 8:23 am

cyberscan wrote:
You should make a post to the Drudgereport as well. This is a national independent news aggregator ]

That's a great idea Cyber. DONE!! Let's see if they pick it up. Everyone, please keep spreading the word so this story can get the attention it needs. You all are awesome and thanks for signing the petition. :D

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:04 pm

I'm really sorry, but I have to post a warning about that petition service. They subscribed me to their emails without my consent and the link to unsubscribe doesn't work.

Edited to add, I was able to unsubscribe with a little more effort. At least I hoped it worked.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:53 pm

Nelismom, I'm afraid I wasn't comfortable enough with the terms of service to sign the petition, but this is the comment I drafted and you are free to share it as desired:

As the parent to a spectrum child, I know well how easy it for the child to (1) appear suspicious to an outsider while doing absolutely nothing but minding his own business, (2) misread all the signals that could lead up to a dangerous situation, and (3) react in extreme self-defense because of overload and confusion. What happened here is the kind of thing we all fear could happen to our own kids, but pray never will. I highly doubt there was any criminal intent, and suspect that with educated handling the entire situation could have been avoided. I hope everyone can learn and move on, and this young man be returned to the emotional security of his home, which he no doubt very much needs at this time.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

Our system sucks :( While I wouldn't expect a normal officer to be able to understand this type of situation, what bugs me even more is what happens to the kid with the ridiculous amount of jail time and due process. Such a waste of tax payer dollars to say the least. . .:( ;( I mean this situation is not about the dollars, but in a way it can be put that way because money makes the world go round :/

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:29 am

Heaven's above. This is my worst nightmare. My autistic teenager has a habit of hanging around things/people she is interested in, in a very lurky manner. She doesn't know how to 'be' in these situations and so appears very, very suspicious. Sort of like the shoplifter trying to see if they are being watched, if you know what I mean. Even I think she is up to something.

My heart goes out to Neli and his poor mother who must be going out of her mind.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Dark_Red_Beloved on 20 Jun 2010, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm

If you have the money, these kind of people may need a mentor to talk about these things or 24/7 on-call psychologists or such maybe if they have enough independence to discuss their thoughts with someone before enacting them upon strangers or such in the real world. To find someone like that and to make it even possible at all, and of course, there is no 1 person who can truly be 24/7- even they need breaks sometimes too.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 4:17 am

Thirty days in a mental hospital?

I truly wish I were surprised.

I truly wish I could say that's an unprecedented atrocity.

Alas, it isn't. That's the state of affairs in this world.

Neli's Mom, as you might've guessed, they're probably keeping your son on drugs that cause mental fog and sedation. It seems like a good guess that he has issues with authority (most of us do), so the institutional setting will be even worse for him than it is for the others who are forced to endure it. For his sake, I hope his mental state is so deteriorated that he's not really present. That would be best.

What a bad way to start his adult life. Prayers for him. I believe your story; it's so obviously correct I have no clue how anyone could not believe it. (And if he did pepper-spray the officer, well, it wouldn't exactly be unprovoked.)

I'll look for an occasion to drop this into casual conversation. This will be difficult, as I have very few conversations, period, and most of them don't relate at all to this.

Don't blame yourself about the medical alert bracelet. They didn't listen when you called them; why should they bother to read a bracelet?

Oh, and welcome to Wrong Planet. :) I hope you have occasion in future to enjoy your visits.

I'll light a candle for you tomorrow if I go to church.

NOT A DOCTOR

chessimprov
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2010, 6:29 am

An acquaintance made a good point to me about my last post that I simply did not think of. Simply contacting any outside person
about your situation and their opinion(s) can help to. I did not mean to sound degrading, but now that a person pointed that out, it does sound that way. That was not my intention at all.

I complete agree whole heartedly that talking with others cannot hurt no matter who they are would work to talk about aggravating situations and to understand social nuances that we may not notice at first.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 7:22 am

The police in the USA are obviously alert to the danger of someone entering a school with a gun to go on a shooting spree and obviously must take any alert seriously.

What we need to ascertain is what happened exactly when Neli was asked to be searched. Lucky that this officer was only armed with pepper spray and not with a firearm as I have a feeling he would have had no hesitation in using it.

Kralan
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2010, 10:01 am

numerous run in with the cops, everytime i wish they sent a negotiator type person, because they are NOT trained in how to manage situations without violence around here... all they want to o is provoke you (easy as an aspie) to defend yourself so tey can lay more charges on you...

Kralan
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2010, 10:05 am

Quote:
Lisa said her son complied with a search, which failed to find a weapon. Police say Neli "attacked and assaulted the deputy for no apparent reason."

this has happened to me, the olice procceed to kick me to the ground, drag me 150feet thru gravel, and then stuck my head under the rear tire of thier car, while revving teh engine telling me to sit still and shutup... needless to say i was screaming about the brutality of the police... all in all the charges they came to arrest me on were thrown out, and i was charged with assaulting a peace office, for nothing... police need to be removed from society.

Kralan
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2010, 10:06 am

Quote:
According to Neli, the officer grabbed him from behind and choked him.

EXACTLY what happened to me in my incident... i did resist arrest at that point, i struggled for AIR and broke the cops jaw in the process.. however i was in handcuffs...

neli deserves a public apology from the police.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 12:20 pm

I don't know what to say. This is just horrible.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 1:53 pm

I stagger when I walk so the cops believe I am eith drunk or on drugs. They pull up along side of me all the time i usually just laugh and say my high blood pressure medicine makes me a little clumsy. The cop usually says be carefull then drives off. One time I got some young cop who drives up to block my path with his squad car on the sidewalk in front of a store. He looks me up down and asks me how much did I have to drink? I told him I do not drink so he asks to look at my pupils so I leaned forward but I could not hold still or let him make direct eye contact with me so he got pissed and told me to move too the front of his car. I asked him why so he opened the car door by kicking the door into me knocking me back away from the car. He gets out of the car and grabs me by the upper arm and thats when I blurted out I have Aspergers and he let me go but told me to move to the front of the car. He began explaining what he was doing and why he was doing it. I think he might have had training to deal with Aspergers. I think if I did not say I had Aspergers I would have caught a major asswhooping.

Invincible
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2010, 6:25 pm

jayroo79 wrote:
I've also spoken briefly with this individuals' mother and informed her of my support. The police have shown time and time again that they do not have the proper training when it comes to dealing with neurodiversity. If you have any connections to any media outlets I encourage you to inform them of what has happened.

The problem is... the cops don't care.

As long as they're receiving new toys (tasers, assault weapons, armor, etc.) from the government, they're gonna be as aggressive happy as possible. The moment they know they're doing something wrong to a civilian (regardless of age, color, etc.), then they falsely charge you with wrongdoing.