Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 1:08 pm

The fact that he was reported just for sitting outside a library shows it was obviously racial. Him having AS just made the situation worse for him. Some of us with AS look suspisious when we are just going about our day. I've been stopped by police before when I was walking to my friends house. She was sure that I was drunk...which I wasn't. I hope he can get out of this soon, and I hope the cop who choked him loses his job.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2010, 3:44 pm

Soledad wrote:
I am black and I have had an encounter with the police before. This was for me having a meltdown in the middle of an open field by a grocery store. i was really upset that day. I saw a car over in the parking lot and I guessed that was the person who called the police. The police checked me for weapons, but didn't do anything after that. They told me they cared about me, but it was bs, they just saw me as a threat. If i didn't calm down, I had the feeling I was going to be tased, and that would not have been good. Now I know I'm a black man so I have to not have meltdowns like that. I can't get away with what a white aspie or female aspie may be able to get away with because I'm black. and when the police sees a black man, they don't think aspergers or anything else, they think threat. Last saturday I went to an asperger/police meeting in PHX and the police was telling us how they are training cops for these types of incidents to help preserve life. I kept my mouth shut, because I know even a police trained for this type of incident wont even care because I'm black. I don't like cops because I know they don't like me. I may sound small minded, but I've been open minded about stuff like this long enough. I did community service with the police once (it was for school, not in trouble) and they said so many racist jokes about arabs, Obama and so on. I don't like police.

Soledad, as a white woman who is a fellow aspie, while I will never understand what it's like being black given that I'm white and the oppressor who gets off easy with the police, however, I do feel your pain. Random Clinton quote there with the I feel your pain. I know this is going to sound racist and I apologize in advance if I've offended you by saying this, but to this white aspie girl who grew up in a small hick town in South Jersey having AS is pretty much the neurological version of being black before the civil rights era (to a white person, anyway)was born. In both cases being treated as if one was a second class citizen was involved. Once again, I apologize if I have offended you in any way. Growing up, I was able to relate to the struggle that blacks went through in past times and still go through to this day. The only difference is is that I feel that the struggle that black people have endured throughout 5+ centuries is far more significant than my own personal struggle for equality. Well, that equality in my case is neurological based equality, yet the struggle of black people is far more important.

The cops aren't too thrilled with me either because I'm different neurologically and one of my biggest fears when it comes to traveling this country is being stopped for some bogus reason and getting tasered because I didn't listen to directions. However during a traffic stop one time, about 5 years ago, I was speeding driving home from class. Apparently the police were following me because of that and I didn't recognize them because they weren't traveling in the standard car. They were driving in a goddamn police issue SUV, which to me then could've been an ambulatory one a sheriff or a fire marshal or something of that nature would drive, therefore no big thing. Apparently having AS and ADD to these guys means I'm a bigger threat on the road than a drunken driver or someone who's driving with a suspended license and also drunk. Anyway, when I was driving home from class, I had noticed that the SUV was following me for some time. When they finally put their sirens on, I realized that it was the police. Since it had dawned on me that I wasn't helping matters by not pulling over when I should have when I first saw the SUV following me, but like I said, I wasn't aware that police can actually drive around in one of those gargantuan things. I tried signaling to them that I was going to pull over when I found enough room for me to do so without wrecking someone else's car that was parked on the side of the road, but it's not good enough. Apparently when I did find sufficient space for me to pull over, I calmly tried to ask the officer what the problem was. No good, apparently because the next thing I knew I was asked to stand against the damn car that I drive and was about to be arrested. I was asking why was I being arrested, and frankly, I was freaking out because I didn't know what was going on then. However, I ended up avoiding arrest after explaining why and I honestly disclosed that the only thing I had taken within that timeframe was my prescription medication I take for ADD, which is Adderall so they could eliminate the possibility of being under the influence. Then again, I often wonder if I got off like I did because I was a white aspie woman. Had I been a black aspie woman, I probably would've wound up in a holding cell for until someone I knew came and bailed me out.

Once again, I apologize if this sounded racist.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Jul 2010, 10:49 am

Very sadly, there is still prejudice, and the mentality of some of the people who happen to go up for law enforcement careers, seems to have something in common with the mentality that drives bullies and hate groups. Very cowardly. They think they can bully Black people because they have enough sick-minded allies who won't persecute them for it. I know how much trouble I've had as a white Aspie, and I can only guess how much worse it must be to be an Aspie who also happens to be Black. I wish there were a known gene which causes people to be bigots, and prenatal test to see if a baby will have it... If so, an abortion should be ordered.

Charles

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:28 am

the title of this tread is funny, serious but funny. i read about nile here and what happen to him was wrong.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2010, 11:36 am

Soledad wrote:
I am black and I have had an encounter with the police before. This was for me having a meltdown in the middle of an open field by a grocery store. i was really upset that day. I saw a car over in the parking lot and I guessed that was the person who called the police. The police checked me for weapons, but didn't do anything after that. They told me they cared about me, but it was bs, they just saw me as a threat. If i didn't calm down, I had the feeling I was going to be tased, and that would not have been good. Now I know I'm a black man so I have to not have meltdowns like that. I can't get away with what a white aspie or female aspie may be able to get away with because I'm black. and when the police sees a black man, they don't think aspergers or anything else, they think threat. Last saturday I went to an asperger/police meeting in PHX and the police was telling us how they are training cops for these types of incidents to help preserve life. I kept my mouth shut, because I know even a police trained for this type of incident wont even care because I'm black. I don't like cops because I know they don't like me. I may sound small minded, but I've been open minded about stuff like this long enough. I did community service with the police once (it was for school, not in trouble) and they said so many racist jokes about arabs, Obama and so on. I don't like police.

:thumright: :thumleft:

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2010, 7:13 am

Stafford Sherrifs office's facebook wall (text is a link)

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2010, 8:21 am

(link) Yahoo news submission, Buzz!

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 8:40 am

I have just now written an email to Stafford County Sherrif's office.
Admittedly I used a few comments from this thread as the main part of my email, but I used the ones that I completely agree with, the ones that explain in words what my young autistic mind could not when I looked at the news link.

I'm too shocked for words, I feel so sad for this boy, and I 100% wish It was 10 years in the future so that I could be the lawyer for him. (I want to be a human rights lawyer when I'm older).

If anyone wants a copy of the email/stuck-together-comments (:lol:) for emailing around or just to read, PM me.

EDIT: I also contacted his mother on the website and told her about this site and the email I'd sent. She asked for a copy so she could read it, so we'll see what she has to say about all your comments! :)

RSDavis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2010, 5:31 pm

Did you try the ACLU?

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

Me? I emailed every goddamn email I could get hold of that'd be useful.
Including the BBC :lol:
I seriously hope this gets sorted out. Lisa (His mother) said that on wednesday he was removed from hospital and put back in jail, and that on either thursday or friday (She said yesterday, but timezones and stuff..) he had a bond hearing and it was denied.

She also said, and I quote:

Quote:
I talked to him last night ad since he has returned to jail he has been hit and pepper sprayed for no reason. These thugs are taking their anger against me for speaking out on Neli. Please pray for him. At this point, I don't know what his fate will be.

It's sick.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 4:07 pm

This is sick, as it shows that racism is still a major problem, especially with some police officers. Often, aspies look suspicious to begin with, but if the individual isn't white, there's an additional issue. I've seen the Driving while Black thing personally when I was with some friends, and the driver switched with someone else who happened to be Black, so we were pulled over. They realized that we weren't breaking any laws, just returning from a camping trip so they let us go. The rest of us in the car were white, so that's probably one reason we were sent on our way.

dragonflai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm

Has anything happened with this? Keep us informed. Are the 30 days of him stuck in the hospital up yet?

I have mixed feelings about the police. One of my rennie friends got discriminated against for having a job that involves so much traveling. The deputies at the Colorado Ren Faire are being very nice to me, and watching out for me while I wait for action on a nasty criminal case in which I am the victim (can't talk about it yet...). I also got followed home from a Harry Potter premier once. I was dressed like a witch who couldn't figure out muggle clothing: pajama bottoms, weird shirt, silver skirt, mismatched socks, black cloak. I dropped off a friend (also in a black cloak), then started to drive home, but a white car followed me for three turns, so I decided to go to the grocery store and call the police to tell them someone was following me. However, it turned out that the person following me WAS a police officer, who pulled me over as I headed out of my neighborhood. He asked me why I didn't take a direct route home, and I said, "Well, I thought I was being followed." He said, "Yes. I was following you." We wound up repeating that exchange a few times before he asked me where I was coming from, asked if I had any ID on me (not for my license, but "do you have any ID on you?", like I was crazy), and eventually sent me home. That was weird.

On the subject of the school thing: my high school was once locked down for 90 min. because a white man, about 6'2", in a black trenchcoat, came in and put a silver cell phone into his inside pocket. Someone mistook the phone for a gun, and reported to the office. During the lockdown, the poor young man was locked into the office, as terrified and confused as everyone else! So I think schools in general are a little paranoid.

I do think we need the police. But the better the police are, well, policed, the better it will be for everyone.

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 5:35 am

dragonflai wrote:
Has anything happened with this? Keep us informed. Are the 30 days of him stuck in the hospital up yet?

I quote my previous post:
Quote:
I seriously hope this gets sorted out. Lisa (His mother) said that on wednesday he was removed from hospital and put back in jail, and that on either thursday or friday (She said yesterday, but timezones and stuff..) he had a bond hearing and it was denied.

She also said, and I quote:
Quote:
I talked to him last night ad since he has returned to jail he has been hit and pepper sprayed for no reason. These thugs are taking their anger against me for speaking out on Neli. Please pray for him. At this point, I don't know what his fate will be.

It's sick.

dragonflai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm

Oh, right. I read that, but I guess it didn't process. It was late at night. :oops:

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2010, 4:08 am

No problem :)

Jaevyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2010, 6:38 pm

It is disgusting. Two months is far too long, especially for a young man who clearly is not mentally fit to survive in the environment he finds himself in now.