Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 2:32 am

What do you think of Temple Grandin?

(Unless you're just going to troll. We especially don't need people trolling a discussion of a person.)

Something about her seems almost curebie to me. I can't say what, but she seems like... I don't know. I know she can't be curebie, but she seems that way to me. Or something.

I don't know where this topic fits, so here it goes, seeing as how she's written books that impact how we're viewed.

NOT A DOCTOR

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:18 am

To me she just seems like a good translator. I think she's is good at explaining ASD to NTs.

Mmm... and that's about all I can say, as I have not read all of her work nor listenend to all of her lectures. But that my thought for all it's worth.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 10 Jul 2010, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 3:24 am

DandelionFireworks wrote:

(Unless you're just going to troll. We especially don't need people trolling a discussion of a person.)

Something about her seems almost curebie to me. I can't say what, but she seems like... I don't know. I know she can't be curebie, but she seems that way to me. Or something.

I don't know where this topic fits, so here it goes, seeing as how she's written books that impact how we're viewed.

I liked her joke about the anthropologists because it's so true.

I think she's very insightful.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2010, 6:58 am

She's the only autistic I've seen or heard on mainstream media. Seems very intelligent with plenty of common sense.

RSDavis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2010, 5:06 pm

I don't think so. She's open-minded about treatment options, but she also said that the world needs people with Autism.

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2010, 5:07 pm

I think she is really awesome and definitely is for interventions that help people on the autism spectrum navigate life. She doesn't seem to be a 'curebie' and in fact, she has said on a documentary "If I could snap my fingers and not be autistic, I wouldn't because autism is part of who I am." Yeah, I cried really hard when I heard that.

Her main push is intervention for young children especially around helping them with sensory overload and helping them handle the world. She also believes in turning fixations into something useful, for example, using books around someone's interest to improve reading skills, coming up with story problems around that interest to improve math skills, etc.

I'm a human development and family studies major, so that's why I've watched documentaries where she discusses intervention for children. She's also written a book to help people with autism find their careers. I've ordered it WOO :) so she's definitely an advocate for helping people on the spectrum live the fullest life possible :)

Hope that helps!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 9:50 pm

Thanks.

What joke about anthropologists?

NOT A DOCTOR

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2010, 1:14 pm

I think she shows a part of ASD that NTs forget/never see. With the right help and right push at school we can and do great things. She also proves some ofnthe smartest people are ASD.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

10 Aug 2010, 9:55 am

She's the bi'tch who analyzes the behavior of terrified animals in order to advise corporations on how to most efficiently slaughter them?

FU'CK HER.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

I think no way she's an autistic stereotype. OK, she has autism, but most of all she is herself and there is no one like her.

She scares me a little. She always look so strict. I understand she doesn't mean it but still.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 8:32 am

Bethie wrote:
She's the bi'tch who analyzes the behavior of terrified animals in order to advise corporations on how to most efficiently slaughter them?

Nope. She is the woman who figures out what is scaring them and works to resolve those problems irregardless of slaughterhouse efficiency.

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

I think as a person Grandin's fine; but some her outspoken opinions over the years have been ridiculous.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

Sionis wrote:
I think as a person Grandin's fine; but some her outspoken opinions over the years have been ridiculous.

Like many of us, I would suspect there are some things she can only see from her own perspective.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

15 Aug 2010, 7:01 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Bethie wrote:

Nope. She is the woman who figures out what is scaring them and works to resolve those problems irregardless of slaughterhouse efficiency.

She's actually a consultant to the livestock industry.

There's nothing to "figure out" about their fear anymore than the terror of Jews in Auschwitz.

She's a disgusting individual.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 6:01 am

Bethie wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Bethie wrote:

She's actually a consultant to the livestock industry.

Yes. The industry that provides most of the non-vegetarians among us with the meat we eat. They have discovered that they will do so more efficiently, if the animals are treated with compassion.

Bethie wrote:
There's nothing to "figure out" about their fear anymore than the terror of Jews in Auschwitz.

OK. So you think you would be better at Temple Grandin's job; I suggest you try to sell your better techniques to the industry.

Bethie wrote:
She's a disgusting individual.

And there you lose me.

First you effectively acknowledge that she is providing a good service to an industry that needed it. Second you opine that you would be able to do the job just as well, if not better. But then you suddenly suggest that something about her disgusts you.

Maybe I've got this all wrong, and you would prefer that the slaughterhouses returned to their old practices, of thoughtlessly using goads to force cattle through as many terror-filled minutes as possible. I've heard that the extra adrenaline released makes the meat taste better. Personally, I'll forego that flavouring.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm

lau, I think Bethie might be suggesting that anyone involved with the livestock industry is essentially an accomplice to murder. She seems to feel that it's wrong to eat them, period, so rather than make their lives more humane, the system should be abolished.

NOT A DOCTOR