Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2010, 9:54 am

http://www.care2.com/causes/health-poli ... ly-enough/

I really hate how these mothers see autism as a virtual death sentence, because they don't know the great things that some autistic people have gone on to do (some of which are debateable on whether the person is/was autistic, but I digress.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:34 am

I also hate mothers like that. I think that there needs to be commercials that promote Autism Acceptance, instead of all of that Autism Speaks garbage. I'm sick of it. I'm bloody sick of it.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

The worst day of my life was when I found out my son had Autism. It broke my heart you see I didn't want anything to be wrong with my son.

It didn't stop hurting until the day the psychologists took me aside and told me I needed a complete psychological evaluation. They then spent 8 hours screening me and came back and told me I have Autism specifically Aspergers.

I've stopped being afraid. Somehow I'm happy again and the fear is gone. What has me being diagnosed gotten me? Well peace, my family back, and hope. I'm happy....I love myself and my son.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

The whole anti-disabilities sentiment seems to keep growing among parents and I wish people would would see that having this condition makes us more special aside from the general population.

To kate123A: did the psychologists suspect you were autistic is that why they tested you ?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 7:40 pm

I don't know they had me fill out this 7 page parent survey. They told me I was either severely depressed but realized after talking to me I'm not depressed. They asked me how I destress and I was honest I told them I flap/rock/spin/or bang my head on the wall. At which point they looked at each other smiled and said I need a complete psychological evaluation....

Three days later they called and enrolled me in a study for Autistics(and did an ADOS on me about 3-4 weeks later)