Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Do you think writing a book on my mind and what I see is a good idea?
I think its a great idea! You have great writing skills. :) 100%  100%  [ 7 ]
It's a bad idea. No one wants to hear about you. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:07 pm

It's called, "the eyes & mind of a high functioning autistic woman". I was just wondering if you think its a good idea. It's basically both a journal and a book. It's like, looking into the mind of most people with autism... or high functioning autism like what I was diagnosed with. I was hoping it could help people understand how my mind works and the things I see with my eyes that others can't possibly see themselves...

good idea or bad idea?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:17 pm

my first thought about advocacy is is there liberation from all the pride vs cure dribble drabble and can there be solidarity between high and low functioning autstics instead of us both always being separated.fundamental lack of cooperation between the two is in my mind auistic politics bigest weakness.no other disability is so divided

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:22 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
my first thought about advocacy is is there liberation from all the pride vs cure dribble drabble and can there be solidarity between high and low functioning autstics instead of us both always being separated.fundamental lack of cooperation between the two is in my mind auistic politics bigest weakness.no other disability is so divided

Uhhh... okay....? I don't really... understand...

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:34 pm

Radical pride makes it hard for anyone within the realm of high function to work with socially empowered mainstream advocacy. By doing so they risk their pursuits when emotionally immature, insecure and self-centered people try to redefine autism because they do not want to feel the "love" of others compassion when others with autism need that kind of compassion, want to play abortion politics and hate on otherwise normal people (N.T Phrase) when others are trying to make them aware of autism and to help.

I've studied it first hand. The professionals and otherwise want to push high functioning people away out of fear of representational style of autism in context to those in need. If people will support the needs of people with autism while others want to gloat about their superiority and call the N.T's stupid for instance who would want to fund social services and support inclusion. Bullying people because of insecurity having to do with the image of autism in society only goes so far. I think common sense can commonly denote self-esteem is important but the reality is a person such as myself would be very much in trouble if I didn't have social services.

I think some people who present autism a certain way to get help for people with autism are trying to protect people like me and those with more severe impairment. Yet when others demand views because they are insulted by autism being represented in a way for the best interest of myself and others they may be wondering what they are up to. Pride can be so very insecure it is globally destructive to autism politics.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:59 pm

I think it is a good idea. I think this sort of soul searching is good for individuals and your story may possibly bring hope to a family that is scared, intimidated or plain old uninformed.

I think the other opinions here are not negative per se but guarded about the political issue of high functioning vs low functioning. I do not beleive that you intend to write this as a political 'look at me, I'm better than you because I'm HFA' sort of way - it sounds to me like you are going to approach it more as autobiographical in nature. I think the reactions you didn't understand may have reacted to your use of;

"It's like, looking into the mind of most people with autism... "

I think the assumption is that your experience does not reflect the experience of 'most' people with autism. And, truthfully, it can't. If you stick to your experience and make it clear that it is your experience only, it sounds like a wonderful idea.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:07 pm

I was responding the the other reply and not the authors post. However I will agree with the quote you set aside.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:15 pm

draelynn wrote:
I think it is a good idea. I think this sort of soul searching is good for individuals and your story may possibly bring hope to a family that is scared, intimidated or plain old uninformed.

I think the other opinions here are not negative per se but guarded about the political issue of high functioning vs low functioning. I do not beleive that you intend to write this as a political 'look at me, I'm better than you because I'm HFA' sort of way - it sounds to me like you are going to approach it more as autobiographical in nature. I think the reactions you didn't understand may have reacted to your use of;

"It's like, looking into the mind of most people with autism... "

I think the assumption is that your experience does not reflect the experience of 'most' people with autism. And, truthfully, it can't. If you stick to your experience and make it clear that it is your experience only, it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Of course not. I mean I'm on the higher end of high functioning, so for me, I just want people to see it the way I do. But its only in my view... it doesn't mean that the next person with HFA can relate to what I go through, especially since I have severe anxiety and ADHD... you know? But yeah, it happens... I tend to have a hard time explaining things, even with my writing... and it sucks... -____-;

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:41 am

Go ahead :) I like reading anything from authors with autism, whatever level of functioning they are.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:35 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:
... for me, I just want people to see it the way I do. But its only in my view... it doesn't mean the next person with HFA can relate to what I go through, especially since I have severe anxiety and ADHD... you know? But yeah, it happens... I tend to have a hard time explaining things, even with my writing... and it sucks... -____-;

I think the project you have in mind could be beneficial for anyone in relation to himself or herself since it would require becoming more aware of oneself within society overall. However, I suspect any expectation of NT people coming away with a better comprehension or understanding of the autistic individual should be of a very cautious type.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 7:01 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Uhhh... okay....? I don't really... understand...
i think autstic in fighting is a problem

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:55 am

vermontsavant wrote:

But I'm not FIGHTING autism. I'm trying to tell people what its like for some of us... you know like awareness and stuff. I don't want to cure it. I hate the idea of a cure because Autism is part of who I am. I want people to understand the mind of an autistic.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:34 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

But I'm not FIGHTING autism. I'm trying to tell people what its like for some of us... you know like awareness and stuff. I don't want to cure it. I hate the idea of a cure because Autism is part of who I am. I want people to understand the mind of an autistic.
i didnt say you are in favor of infighting.i was just pointing out problems in the politics of autism.i think your journal is great

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:07 am

Anything that increases understanding I think is a good idea, go for it :)