Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 3:06 pm

Just heard that tomorrow's topic on NPR's Talk of the Nation will be 'Growing Old with Autism'.
It's a national call-in talk show, so those of us with no phone issues might be able to participate.
I'll post the link when it appears tomorrow if I remember.

- Emerson

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Sep 2010, 3:16 pm

If you call in, be sure to mention Wrong Planet!

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2010, 7:00 pm

oooooooooooo! I wonder if they will call in any sage-like professors with autism in to speak..... hehehe :) Will be waiting for your link!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 4:22 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =129885995

- Emerson

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Sep 2010, 10:12 pm

so ,did anyone call in?

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm

I listened to most of it. The show focused on the struggles parents have with wondering how their adult children will function once the parents are unable to provide some form of support. The story began with talking about the first person with autism Donald T that Dr. Kanner saw & off of him & 10 other subjects came up with the criteria for classic autism.

The focus was on parent concerns about the independence & living situations of adults with autism once the family can no longer care for these individuals. Therefore, calls were taken from parents of either children or aduilts on the spectrum. Unfortunately, no one with autism called. I was SO SURE that they would have Dr. Grandin speak since um.... she's middle aged & has autism :) A caller did mention her recommendation that individuals with autism should not be completely isolated.

The show did provide some advice on what parents can do to help children /teens gain more independence & learn skills to increase their chances of becoming fully independent. Overall, it seemed to be geared toward the general public as an educational / awareness tool & for parents of individuals on the spectrum.

Hope this helps!