Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

What are your initial impressions of the preview of Fly Away?
It looks promising 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Can't judge from the preview 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Oh no, not again. 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

ElfMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2011, 5:43 am

I was looking at the South by Southwest Film Festival lineup that was recently released, and it includes a drama called "Fly Away." Since I will be near Austin during SXSW, I thought I might see it, but it depends on when it's scheduled (unless I have something in paticular to go to, I avoid Austin during SXSW because it is sensory hell.) The trailer below mostly shows meltdowns, and I have mixed feelings about Catherine Hardwicke as a director (Thirteen was well directed, but I think she lost credibility as a serious director after Twilight, imho.) I haven't looked up info yet about the writer/producer. Whether it turns out well done but with flaws, or really awful, I wonder to what extent, culturally, that people base their understanding of autism on single movies like this. I thought the "Rainman" associations were mostly coming to an end, but based on someone's recent post about a comment from her doctor (!), maybe I'm unrealistically optimistic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlFRcmdu3-Y[/youtube]

Edit: Evidently, the writer/director/producer is Janet Grillo. Hardwicke "presents" this.

Last edited by ElfMusic on 04 Feb 2011, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElfMusic

04 Feb 2011, 6:53 am

Okay, just researched Janet Grillo. Former board member of Cure Autism Now, and Autism Speaks is collaborating with the advertising of the movie. On top of all that, she is an anti-vaccine twit on Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janet-gri ... _1329.html