Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:02 pm

one of the familys has a kid with asperger's it turns out in the next episode they are going to tell max ( the kid with asperger's) about it because in the episode this week max overhears an argument and heres that he has aspergers the last last line in this episode is Max saying : I have asperger's? What is asperger's?

here is the clip where it happens
http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/ep- ... g/1300232/

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 4:11 pm

I love that show! Like last week's episode where they were like "adults can have asperger's? what? no way!" lol although it did kinda annoy me that they didn't consider that even people with asperger's grow up, mature and learn coping skills (but I realize it's just a tv show and the average viewer hasn't heard of asperger's before, so they have to keep it simple), and this week when Adam was yelling at Crosby, he said "my son has asperger's" like 10 times so they can't even try to convince Max that's not what they said. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:16 pm

I like that aspergers is getting media attention and generally approve of Parenthood's treatment, but it kind pisses me off a bit the way the parents make aspergers sound so grave. Also old people having sex is really gross, they should not acknowledge the fact that old people have sex.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 6:57 pm

For those who don't read stark.raving.mad.mommy. (she has an ASD kid, I find her blog hilarious...the way her brain works she's like an American mommy version of me...and yes, I consider myself hilarious too), and with some vague relation to this; Asperger's High

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 12:47 am

Shadwell wrote:
I like that aspergers is getting media attention and generally approve of Parenthood's treatment, but it kind pisses me off a bit the way the parents make aspergers sound so grave. Also old people having sex is really gross, they should not acknowledge the fact that old people have sex.

My thoughts exactly, I actually put my hand over the screen when they started making out. It was gross. Not that I really like watching anybody make out, it's just awkward in general, but old people is extra weird.

Annaquin
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2011, 12:49 am

Shadwell wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Not to be a prude, but the washroom scene literally made me mute my TV and look away until it was safe to look again! I really hope that next week they focus on the positive. I watch Parenthood, but it is not a show I let my son see any part of because I feel that they are too down on autism as a whole on it. Now Amazing Race that is a fun show we can watch together. My son is 5 and we try and keep it very uplifting around here, for example he watched the Golden Globes I think it was where Temple Grandin was there with Claire Danes- I guess it is working because last week they had a program at his school about autism and he stood up in the assembly and shouted "That is me! I have autism!" Has a bit of a superiority complex he does, I'm pretty sure he is smarter then me already and he knows it lol.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:28 am

I don't watch it, but my mom does. She was watching it on tape last night while I was eating dinner, so I overheard the end part about the Aspie kid. I told her I'd watch next week's episode with her. I want to see how they handle the issue. Other than that, all I am interested in about the show is what this kid's main special interest is. My mom told me it's bugs. So, if you were curious about that but don't want to watch the show, there you go! :lol:

Nash: Is there a difference?