Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:19 am

That's what I'd like to further progress. Many in the recent years and further past have worked hard and diligently to progress an equality of inclusion with some success. I believe a great much more can be done but not by a few but the many. A small percentage of people can work very hard to include others but it's going to have to take a strategy in awareness that is much like Autism Speaks in effect but strategically devised a different way. I believe inclusion is not all about very high functioning advocates and what they believe to be acceptable and not acceptable. I also believe it ought to be compassion based and a story akin to civil rights that inspires the times of current to realize what might have been deemed in the past as the insignificant inclusions as the victories of individuals. There is a great challenge ahead of us in the years to come and I believe the past as a whole has been allot more stagnant then it should have been as far as acknowledging the importance of inclusion within society. If people are unaware how can they be fans of the change for inclusion and if they cannot think of the changes they are making in others lives because they are unaware in the first place it's not like their to blame nor are the people who strongly desire to be included or do not yet know it is an option in their lives.

This is the future. I was wondering what the internet folks on here think of what I said?

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 12:59 am

If you want media campaigns as big as auti$m $peak$, you need to hire some unemployed used car salesmen and televangelists to create a fundraising campaign and an ad campaign to rival auti$m $peak$, and you need a cause. Promoting therapies to help them function at a higher level and creating opportunities for them to have fun being immersed in activities that they normally don't get to do for a variety of reasons won't sound as cool to NTs as seeking a cure, but you can show that donations would have a much more immediate impact.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 1:12 am

John_Browning wrote:
If you want media campaigns as big as auti$m $peak$, you need to hire some unemployed used car salesmen and televangelists to create a fundraising campaign and an ad campaign to rival auti$m $peak$, and you need a cause. Promoting therapies to help them function at a higher level and creating opportunities for them to have fun being immersed in activities that they normally don't get to do for a variety of reasons won't sound as cool to NTs as seeking a cure, but you can show that donations would have a much more immediate impact.

I am one of them. I already have a cause. I also receive a kind of autism therapy and supportive inclusion. I do not like the used sales man approach but I technically fundraise (simply like any other effort) with candles we make then expand the opportunity and awareness. I am sitting here at the PC wicking 10,000 tea lights for an awareness campaign for the employment project now. Broadcasting does awareness on radio stations year around, media articles and so on. It is preparing to go national. However I am one brain and I am thinking if the "aspie" folks are of the mindedness for it. After-all all organization I think can help with something like this in the general sense but also what others do. To try and avoid conflict and seek positive outcomes.

I have sought out the aspie and found contempt toward it. I am patient however. If contempt is the instability and further proves so I will not seek the aspie even though some call me a aspie.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:05 am

That's cool, though if you really want to raise awareness through your business, you need to overhaul your site. if you didn't just explain it, I would still be a little confused about what (if anything) you offer on your site. You need product pictures, detailed information, and order information. Either move the music videos to one page or get rid of them altogether. If you that, there is a CHANCE that I might be able to find you a small distributor or two and replace some auti$m $peak$ fundraiser candle sales with yours. Feel free to PM me about it.

-Sigmund Freud

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:11 am

We already have a national list of autism related groups and organizations we are doing a mailing to with Autism Candles magnets and it keeps getting larger. Also a waiting list for re-sellers outside of the area. Just got the robotics equipment in and advance material to properly keep up. Also schools and related do fundraising with the area branded product known to be a work program and now have a list of all the teachers in this county and going to send them magnets with a letter. One store sells over $10,000 a year in candles alone and that is just one. I decided to make the website more entertaining then product related. It's about capturing a certain kind of attention rather then specifically selling something on the website. Although another section I am developing with fragrance library for search engine reasons and will have pictures up on it. The videos get changed and are supposed to be simply entertainment. Autism parents are great because they tell others and some who own stores want to carry the candles already.

Any help is appreciated and there is now an Autism Candles twitter. 600 people mostly having to do with autism joined it already in the past week. Do you have twitter?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:17 am

I was curious about more details about your candles to see if they might be useful as a fundraiser for some local non-profit groups that work with autistic kids and siblings in ways they enjoy. No, I don't use twitter. Sorry.

-Sigmund Freud

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 2:42 am

I am wondering how to make it feasible for small groups. I like the idea of prolonged fundraisers where people can return to the same group and purchase more candles when they are out. That way as what has worked here candles can simply be loaned to organizations with no upfront costs. It will still be another 6 months before such accounts can be taken on anyways. I have made an agreement with a U.S manufacture of steel tins who provides discount rates direct where I buy them at the same prices master distributors get them for and they do so to support it. Candle tins instead of glass make fundraising more feasible because of reduced shipping prices over that of the glass.

A local autism parents non-profit fundraises with the candles as well for young children educational needs. They seem to have success with it. I will PM you.

-

With regards to the topic I had in mind not so much candles but area wide inclusion campaigns. Whereas businesses sponsor transitional inclusions to develop skills and offer individuals the ability to experience inclusion. This I believe is very important and I think can be duplicated in other areas under the PR premises in frameworks.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2011, 4:00 am

I don't really think more 'awareness' movements will achieve much. No matter how much awareness we get for the 'condition' we will always be looked at as mentally ill, or 'second-class' if we keep on generalizing ourselves like that.

Would the manipulation of social media be more effective? Rather than claim money for our 'condition' etc would it not be more effective to give subtle evidence in normal media (not advertising) about how its not a debilitating disease and teach about HFA and similiar conditions and how they are more intelligent than most neurotypicals?

Don't get me wrong, the more severe conditions certainly need financial assistance for research purposes and psych subsidies, but the only way to show we are equal is to actually behave equally and stop demanding charity (not having a dig at the majority here, but some do it)

We can't just follow the homosexual right movement's recipe for success, Aspiness is a different kettle of fish and needs to be approached differently.

*Just my opinion, no personal attacks*

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 4:11 am

Disease is a harsh word in the subtle social usage sense as is it connotative of unrelated pathological conditions traditionally used with the word and to emotions it can effect self-esteem suppose. As far as myself I am definitely disabled and was not conditioned as a child with much autism language and in fact heard it maybe 2 times before it became evident to me I could not function well like others did. Without help I do not do well at all. So I cannot really relate to your message in my life, at least some others lives and my focus is on creating inclusion possibilities. There is a big difference between not much or no possibilities of being included and creating more possibilities at least in my life and those I speak to who also have disabilities. I do not think I am superior I think I can think in my own ways while others including myself seem to be caught up with their own thinking styles, beliefs and philosophies.

We are different people though. So what you need in your life if you are able to do more of what you please we require different approaches. Mine I don't consider for everyone with autism. Yours may be good for those that achieve well at academics well and find that what is described as a disability is more often then not a benefit especially if others are more accepting.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2011, 4:19 am

Hmm that's true, I have difficulty copying notes but by and large my grades are near the top of the college and I definitely see AS as more of a blessing than a curse.

I did mention a little piece about more severely affected autistics, but I haven't actually met someone more highly affected so I can't really comment on how to deal with that. Apologies.

I do still think that an 'acceptance' or 'awareness' movement will not help dispel the notion that autistics are 'inferior' and need to be taken under the wing of a 'superior' neurotypical.

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 4:24 am

I propose it is not an insult to accept the help from the acclaimed neurotypicals. That some are well asses, some mean well and some don't. However in this world and how it works change won't happen for some without accepting disabilities are existent and hell some help would be nice. I think a division of minds between neurological makeups is not universally beneficial nor is the notion that autism as a whole in those whom have it mean great illness. I don't think progress will come entirely from accepting help from others when needed but self-resiliency to succeed.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 4:35 am

In all actuality one shouldn't accept that someone has to suffer with severe difficulties at all. As for those who actually want to dispel the notion of inferiority, they should seek an equality not an acceptance movement.

Ha
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2011, 7:13 am

It is time to apply the civil rights laws protecting the right to work for people with ASD!

During the early days of implementing the civil-rights law to equal employment for racial minorities, companies had sensitivity training programs for their staff to prepare them for racial integration of the workplace. They had sensitivity training because racial minorities are not afraid to sue for violations.

There needs to be ASD sensitivity training in the workplace too.

The feminist movement forced women's rights to equal employment by making companies provide a workplace that is not a hostile environment for women. Anti-women verbal slurs and pictures of naked ladies disappeared from the workplace. Why? Because people sue if their rights are violated.

Let's get rid of hostile environments for ASD workers too!

Has anyone out there on Wrong Planet experienced a workplace with insensitive co-workers, heard the R word at work etc? Do you have a good enough case to bring a lawsuit?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

Ha wrote:
Has anyone out there on Wrong Planet experienced a workplace with insensitive co-workers, heard the R word at work etc? Do you have a good enough case to bring a lawsuit?

If I do I'll PM you.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3MfUR35CM&feature=related[/youtube]

Ha

28 Aug 2011, 7:15 pm

QUOTE: "I'll PM you."

What does PM mean?