Page 1 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:22 am

Ok I don't know about anyone else but part of the reason I did not enjoy my childhood was because of people who one would catagorize as normal like to act like they where superior to me because I was a bit different.....so why would I want to develop the attitude that I am better then someone because of some disorder I was born with? that is just as bad as someone thinking its ok to pick on someone who's different because being normal is superior for instance. So sorry to rain on the pride parade but seriously, I want no part of it.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:54 am

There is a vast difference between being proud / happy about who and what you are and becoming some form of autism supremacist.

I think that a public or private celibration of autistic / AS culture is perfectly OK. But I am opposed to the idea of an autistic supremacist meeting, for example I would be disgusted if a group of autistic persons were to form there own version of the KKK.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:00 am

Woodpecker wrote:
There is a vast difference between being proud / happy about who and what you are and becoming some form of autism supremacist.

I think that a public or private celibration of autistic / AS culture is perfectly OK. But I am opposed to the idea of an autistic supremacist meeting, for example I would be disgusted if a group of autistic persons were to form there own version of the KKK.

Yeah that is sort of what I mean I mean I don't see the point in being proud of something that you did not choose, but thats just my opinion...I am just getting a bit irritated with all the talk of autsim supremacy on this site, I mean come one we are not a superior race or anything ridiculous like that.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:16 am

Many people like Einstein find genius through autism. By definiton a genius is smarter than a normal person. Yet because a normal person cannot comprehend the autistic genius they dismiss the autistic genius as a ret*d. Einstein was no exception. Before Einstein achieved fame he was constantly belittled for his bad memory and his bad grades at school. Neurotypicals complain that we do not treat them as equals yet they constantly condemn the autistic genius as a ret*d and slam the autistic genius with bad grades at school and bad performance evaluations at work. Maybe if the neurotypical accepted the autistic genius my opinion of neurotypicals would change but the fact is that thanks to the medical establishment autistics are regarded as a disease. Whenever the autistic tries to defend himself against the disease stigma he is denounced as a hate monger. Meanwhile autistics suffer greatly . They are barred from attending the finest universities and they are constantly fired at work or given the most menial of jobs. I am constantly told that I am an idiot, that I am stupid, and a ret*d and that I have no common sense. and that I am worthless.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:26 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Many people like Einstein find genius through autism. By definiton a genius is smarter than a normal person. Yet because a normal person cannot comprehend the autistic genius they dismiss the autistic genius as a ret*d. Einstein was no exception. Before Einstein achieved fame he was constantly belittled for his bad memory and his bad grades at school. Neurotypicals complain that we do not treat them as equals yet they constantly condemn the autistic genius as a ret*d and slam the autistic genius with bad grades at school and bad performance evaluations at work. Maybe if the neurotypical accepted the autistic genius my opinion of neurotypicals would change but the fact is that thanks to the medical establishment autistics are regarded as a disease. Whenever the autistic tries to defend himself against the disease stigma he is denounced as a hate monger. Meanwhile autistics suffer greatly . They are barred from attending the finest universities and they are constantly fired at work or given the most menial of jobs. I am constantly told that I am an idiot, that I am stupid, and a ret*d and that I have no common sense. and that I am worthless.

Yeah well I am no genius, yeah I'm smart I can say that with a fair amount of confidence but it does not make me better then anyone. I understand your frustration with being treated that way, I have experianced a lot of that as well but the last thing I want to do is start behaving like those people. I know I am not ret*d, though I do have fairly ret*d processing speed to use the word correctly. I am not suggesting you should be ok with the ignorance because that is ridiculous........but supremacy is taking it too far, especailly since not all neurotypicals are evil hate mongerers.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:10 am

True. Sometimes I do feel like being an aspie makes me smarter. It does actually but that is no reason to see nts as inferior. A large portion of great people are nts.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 3:12 am

androbot2084 wrote:

Not true in Taiwan, where I live. Many of my very successful friends have aspie traits and are treated with respect.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 5:19 am

androbot2084 wrote:

You post this in every single thread. Also, Einstein: a. did well in school and b. probably didn't have autism.

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

I have this same problem with gay pride. In my mind, pride is an emotion you should feel for an accomplishment, something you've achieved. I'm fine with the idea of being proud of how well you've coped with your difference (I for one am damned proud of how well I fit in), but being proud simply of BEING autistic (or glbt) is no different in my eyes from being proud of being white or black or straight or American or anything you didn't choose for yourself.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

Autistics have accomplished a lot. For example I invented a new Calculus based on fractals but I was still slammed with a bad grade in my math class.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Autistics have accomplished a lot. For example I invented a new Calculus based on fractals but I was still slammed with a bad grade in my math class.

Well guess what I have accomplished.......nothing sure aspergers is not the only disorder I have, but yeah simply having autism or asperger or anything else does not automatically mean you are going to accomplish anything.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

This was not looked upon as an accomplishment but merely autistic parroting. Since I neither invented Calculus nor did I invent the mathematics of fractals I was considered very dishonest for taking credit for my invention of combining Calculus and Fractals and I was called a plagiarist and was banned from submitting my invention to the newspaper.

I once had an English teacher that boasted that he would blackball any student that plagiarized Shakespeare. However Romeo and Juliet was a plagiarism of Samson and Delilah.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 6:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

Yeah that is sort of what I mean I mean I don't see the point in being proud of something that you did not choose, but thats just my opinion...I am just getting a bit irritated with all the talk of autsim supremacy on this site, I mean come one we are not a superior race or anything ridiculous like that.

There's some threads that are pretty over the top. There's at least one going now (based on subject heading). I ignore them. I figure those people aren't going to listen to me. But, to me, those threads are unscientific BS. No, not just unscientific, anti-scientific.

No, aspie's aren't from the future, aren't a new species, and aren't a evolutionary step forward. Just a variation, with a genetic connection but not fully genetic, and with both pluses and minuses.

As for the word pride, though, it has different meanings. Related, but different. Heck, it's both a virtue and one of the seven deadly sin.

Pride can mean feeling okay about oneself. Accepting oneself as one is. Yes, pride can mean seeing oneself as better than others. But it doesn't always mean that.

So, I don't think aspie pride is necessarily a bad thing. It can be "It's okay to be an aspie". It's not always aspie (or autism) supremacy.

Gallowglass
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

Basic strategy in setting ones value in the labour market is to start with a high asking price and let the market set your value but starting with a low price is a recipe for disaster.

Same thing applies here, a supremicist viewpoint is a logical opening ambit.

Whether or not the world will "buy it" is another matter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

Gallowglass wrote:
Basic strategy in setting ones value in the labour market is to start with a high asking price and let the market set your value but starting with a low price is a recipe for disaster.

Same thing applies here, a supremicist viewpoint is a logical opening ambit.

Whether or not the world will "buy it" is another matter.

Not sure what you are getting at.

Gallowglass
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

If you think you are cr*p people will treat you as such.

If you think you are good people will treat you as such.

Having a high perception of your worth is good for you and helps you to be successful.